It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Response to JUNE MTN. closing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:00 am 
Broadway
Broadway

Dear Mr. CEO,

I'm talking about YOU, Rusty.

You've finally made this decision on closing June Mtn?

You certainly are bull-headed and full of yourself. As evidenced by your reluctance to accept the pure logic I wrote in kindergarten simplicity to you 4 years ago, followed by another letter of accurate prediction the next year you've now had to pull the plug on June, and impose economic consequences not only on YOURSELF but on all the affected residents of the area.

What is it you're not understanding?

YOUR LIFT TICKET PRICES IN MAMMOTH ARE TOO HIGH!!!!!!!!!!

REDUCE THEM IMMEDIATELY TO 60% OF THEIR CURRENT LEVEL.

BE A LEADER FOR ONCE AND GIVE UP ON YOUR ARROGANCE. DENYING YOUR HUGE POTENTIAL CUSTOMER BASE FROM VISITING MAMMOTH RESORT BY FINANCIALLY ALIENATING THEM IS FAILURE TO UNDERSTAND YOUR OWN MARKET.

Rusty, I'm not going to waste any more breath on helping you if you can't help yourself. Maybe not you, but the rest of the country is in a recession. And in the past 3 years we've only seen the concerto. The main opera is likely to begin next year or sooner. You're absolute main focus should be on how to build your customer base to weather the economic future of Mammoth. PEOPLE WILL COME TO MAMMOTH IF YOU GIVE THEM A REASON. THE LOCAL BUSINESSES AND TOWNSHIP WILL FLOURISH AGAIN IF THEY COME. BUT YOU, my friend, HOLD THE KEY. IT'S CALLED "TICKET PRICES".

You will not survive long term on that smaller segment of customer base that can begrudgingly afford $80-$95 per day lift tickets. They will consistently abandon you as their own businesses decline, or the weather doesn't suit them. You NEED TO REVERSE THE OBVIOUS DECLINING TREND in Mammoth. Or is it that you just don't patronize the shuttered businesses and feel the loss of passion in the township of Mammoth lately? It seems you don't TRULY understand what's going on in your community and the cause of it.

The long, slow slide continues at Mammoth under your unwillingness to even TRY reducing prices in a meaningful way.

It will be YOUR LEGACY alone that is remembered for the failure Mammoth in the next 5 years if you refuse to change course NOW.

My hope is for your success, and for you to re-ignite the flood of visitors that want to come to Mammoth regularly. I'm holding off my decision for a refund of my MVP pass until the end of July, or until I hear an indication of your decisions.....whichever comes first.

35 year Mammoth loyalist,

Seann Farrell

Post subject: Re: Response to JUNE MTN. closing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:00 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Elaborate on your thoughts a little bit more. We've had this discussion on multiple threads over the last few years and most people have come to the conclusion that yours is incorrect. You said yourself that as other's businesses decline they fail to come to Mammoth. What you are denying is that they will fail to come to Mammoth regardless of ticket price if their business is declining. People did not even come for a free day. Mammoth and all things entertainment oriented are collateral damage of a far larger problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:08 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Mammoth wasn't in decline in the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons when we had large snowfall so your whole argument is null and void. You have a historically bad snow season with way way below normal visitation, the company as a whole is going to hurt. Lowering ticket prices to the same as mt high and big bear does not make viable sense for the company.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:21 am 
Broadway
Broadway

Mammoth IS in decline and HAS been for 4 solid years. A couple great snow seasons has merely slowed the trend of closing businesses and loss of tourist dollars. The town is now BANKRUPT. Free ski days is not the answer. Building loyalty IS. Mammoth needs a huge marketing campaign to bring back and then sustain improving visitor numbers for the next 3-4 years. Name one good example of how to induce loyalty and a return of Mammoth loyalists. Can you name even one? It comes down to value for your dollar doesn't it? And unfortunately, Mammoth no longer can stand on that claim. At $80-$100 a day for tickets plus all the associated costs to travel to and stay in Mammoth the majority of people have other interests on their mind. If you're hoping for another big snow season to validate your argument then best of luck. It's taking the short view though, and disregards why Mammoth has itself in the problems it has and what they can do IMMEDIATELY to right the ship.
There's no more time to waste.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:42 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Grizzly Barfly wrote:
Elaborate on your thoughts a little bit more. We've had this discussion on multiple threads over the last few years and most people have come to the conclusion that yours is incorrect. You said yourself that as other's businesses decline they fail to come to Mammoth. What you are denying is that they will fail to come to Mammoth regardless of ticket price if their business is declining. People did not even come for a free day. Mammoth and all things entertainment and real estate development oriented are collateral damage of a far larger problem.

I(improved)IFY

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:53 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

powdr8s wrote:
There's no more time to waste.

You do realize that every single ski area in the US is experiencing a similar struggle? How many ski areas have lower ticket prices than when the recession started?