Forums
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bark Beetle Infestation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:54 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

So you don't see the irony? All those times you bragged about how empty it was and how the powder lasted all day?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:54 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

I LOVE the name of this thread...

Bark away you little beetles.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:04 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
So you don't see the irony? All those times you bragged about how empty it was and how the powder lasted all day?

Bragged? If I wanted to keep it a secret would I have mentioned it? Most lovers of June Mtn. get my sarcasm, some don't.

What I posted in the way of pictures and captions should have attracted people. Did I not post pictures of empty days and runs? I even offered to help June with their advertising. Mammoth didn't need it.

I am always helpful of people that are asking questions about June SnS.

I'll have to admit though, it was cool that a lot of wimps wouldn't make the drive over from Mammoth.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:22 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Sorry, I thought you were bragging all those times you mentioned how empty it was, how you could get untracked powder all day, how the groomers stayed perfect. Apparently I misunderstood you when you were really complaining about the lack of customers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:27 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Bragging on a forum is a pretty good way to advertise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:17 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
Apparently I misunderstood you when you were really complaining about the lack of customers.

You don't have a clue about how to attract new customers do you SnS?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:19 am 
Sesame street
Sesame street

Thanks to all of you who responded. I think I understand a little more the bark beetle problem. It still makes me sad to think that I will see more devastation of June forests in my life time, but the upside may be a healthier one for the long run.
As to June Mtn. closure, I understand the corporate nature of MMSA. A corporation is considered a "separate constructive person", who is subject to the laws and duties of society. It can sue and be sued, buy and sell assets and pays taxes. The
main asset in addition to the physical facilities on June Mtn, is the lease. The lease is administered by the Forest Service, in trust for us (we the people). The lease was presumptively constructed to lookout for the interests of the people and the environment. MMSA has a duty then as lessee to abide by the terms of the lease, if not they are in breach of the terms of the lease. If in breach, the Forest Service has a duty to, we ,the people. This includes the business owners, land owners, recreational users, and the generations to come. Somehow MMSA was allowed to abruptly close June Mtn's planned summer scenic chairlift service and next ski season without any advanced notification. Was that a violation of their duty to the lease? What I'm personally afraid of is that MMSA (Starwood) corporate attorneys can tie this up for years, while the Forest Service sits on their hands. So yeah, I'm pissed at this "Big Corporate Mentality" that allows them to basically bully a community. I will write to my local officials to insist that if MMSA is in breach of its lease that the Forest Service require that they perform under the terms of the lease,or terminate and begin immediately to find a new tenant. Don't let them off the hook, peoples livelihoods are on the line and a beautiful place needs a worthy steward.
HeartbrokenNana
PS --SurfnSnow, I don't think you get June Mtn. but then again I don't think I get Mammoth anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:19 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

onegoodturn wrote:
SurfnSnowboard wrote:
Apparently I misunderstood you when you were really complaining about the lack of customers.

You don't have a clue about how to attract new customers do you SnS?

Actually I do and there's more to it than having customers post pictures on a forum talking about how the mountain "sux".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:54 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

The bark beetle infestation has been going on for years now and has nothing to do with June Lake. I reported it to the FS several years back about the increased tree mortality in Coyote, Rock Creek and Bishop Creek Canyon. How do you treat millions of acres of forests in steep and remote areas? You cannot. The FS has to sit back and watch and wonder like the rest of us.

It is a result of climate change, pure and simple. It will result in devastating fires and increase with the severe drought we are in right now. The lack of water is causing the aspens to die off and the leaves to decrease.

There are a lot of things going on right now that are coming to get us, and we are on a course set for disaster. The beetles are only one of many indicator species. Indicators that the death of one species could lead to the death of us.

Does that explain how important things like beetle infestations are?