Forums
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Why didn't you ski/board at June?
Poll ended at Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:27 pm
Old slow lifts  9%  [ 5 ]
Too far to drive  9%  [ 5 ]
Lack of terrain  19%  [ 11 ]
Terrified of downloading J1  5%  [ 3 ]
Mammoth is just better  19%  [ 11 ]
My friends all ski/ride at Mammoth  5%  [ 3 ]
June? Where's June?  0%  [ 0 ]
Wait, I DID ski/board at June regularly!  22%  [ 13 ]
Other  12%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject: Re: Why didn't you ski/ride June Mtn?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:52 am 
Broadway
Broadway

Right on, OGT!

I don't feel like I've done enough good in my life to deserve all the wonderful days I've gotten to spend at June. And I've certainly drug a number of friends along for the ride who likely didn't deserve it either.

I know I've posted this video here before, but I'm dropping it again since I've been watching it a lot lately. Second half is almost all June: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxdAZG2ge04

I do feel kinda guilty now about the description, though: "All footage recorded at Mammoth Mountain and that other mountain that shall remain nameless." :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:54 pm 
Climax
Climax

LOL...I love how you can select up to three, but only one of them says you DID ride June Mountain.

I'm sure that wasn't by design or anything?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:25 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

^ Good point!

Knowing SnS, I don't think it was deliberate. No doubt it would skew those percentages, tho.

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:13 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Of course it was deliberate! The whole purpose of the poll is to get an idea of why people didn't visit June regularly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:20 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Yea, but the percentages are skewed. Someone who doesn't ski at June for 3 reasons gets three votes, but someone who does ski there gets one (or at least, votes improperly if they vote more than once). That skews the results to make it look like a smaller percentage of respondents ski at June. Am I wrong about that?

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:34 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

My intention wasn't to try to represent the percentage of forum users thatI did or didn't visit June.I just wanted to get a better idea why people - particularly forum regulars - didn't visit June regularly.

I enjoyed riding June but mostly when Mammoth was really crowded. I also got bored quickly except when I went out of bounds.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:42 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
My intention wasn't to try to represent the percentage of forum users thatI did or didn't visit June.I just wanted to get a better idea why people - particularly forum regulars - didn't visit June regularly.

Yea, that's what I thought.

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:55 pm 
Climax
Climax

SurfnSnowboard wrote:

I enjoyed riding June but mostly when Mammoth was really crowded. I also got bored quickly except when I went out of bounds.

So long as you realize that inherently, your poll can give you no useful information with it's current structure. It should be a pick one, not a pick three.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:37 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Constructive comments on improving June:

1. Lack of terrain: Let’s face it. For advanced terrain, there is J7, the Wall, and the Face (which is often not covered well). Add a new lift (perhaps two) to service additional advanced/intermediate terrain. J5 has been out of service forever … can the permit for that chair be used? Have Dave McCoy pick out the location of the lift, as he is a wiz at that.

2. The drive: Especially irksome if you have to install chains to get there. Solution: Offer free bus service with a number of pick up points, and returning to those points.

3. Base Area: Honestly don’t think this is a problem, but a detachable 4 banger would help. Not for the speed, but the ease of loading and the capacity for a family of four to get up the mountain. A basket check and changing area so people could change and leave their stuff there would help. Right now, there is not much.

4. Day Care: If they are seriously courting families, June needs it … even if it means to contract with local day care providers in June Lake.

5. Warm beds: Form alliances with rental reservation agencies in June Lake to offer package deals like they do in Mammoth. Offer shuttle service from June Lake to June Mountain (or use the shuttle described in #1) to bring guests to the Mountain. Want luxury warm beds? Contract with the Double Eagle. I’m sure they’d be happy to oblige.

Thoughts?

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:33 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I would ski at June often if they would sell single-ride tickets to the top. The only reason I go there is for bc access, but it makes no sense to buy an all-day ticket for one trip to the top: I'd rather walk. I'd pay ten bucks for a single ride, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:45 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

^ That's an option that should be offered.

I remember when Aspen Highlands wasn't part of Ajax and the other resorts, they offered a free ski lesson if the user bought the first day's lift ticket from them. That worked for us. I wonder if that (or maybe a free morning or afternoon lesson) would entice people to come from Mammoth.

Offer a discounted 3 day pass, if one of the weekend days is skied at June?

I dunno ... just throwing out ideas. I guess it's obvious that I don't make my living as a marketeer.

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:42 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Jbaysurfer wrote:
SurfnSnowboard wrote:

So long as you realize that inherently, your poll can give you no useful information with it's current structure. It should be a pick one, not a pick three.

I think it's already given me some insight. It's not like I was trying to do a scientifically valid opinion poll.

Anyone want to explain what "Other" reasons why you didn't ski/ride June Mtn?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:04 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Kook alert...Whoop Whoop!!! :~: Such a June hater SnS, your survey options are ridiculous. Could you be any more transparent? :!: :lol:

SurfnSnowboard wrote:

I'm guessing you rode June no more than a handful of days ever, never got too far off the groomers(definitely no BC) and really have no idea of why June appeals to many of us...and never will.

go figure...PB out of OB!!! :rock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:14 pm 
Climax
Climax

quacque wrote:
I would ski at June often if they would sell single-ride tickets to the top. The only reason I go there is for bc access, but it makes no sense to buy an all-day ticket for one trip to the top: I'd rather walk. I'd pay ten bucks for a single ride, though.

Perfect example of lack of marketing (already came up in an email discussion I've had with a June local). They absolutely DID offer a one ride pass. But unless you were the type of person who thought to ask for something that never ever was marketed, such as this, you'd probably not have known.

Even I did not know until the Saturday of closing weekend. You remember this SDMark? Jim telling us they offered him a single ride pass?

I've had a happy hour beer or two, so I'm going to stop typing...;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:19 pm 
Climax
Climax

June terrain is why you didn't ski/ride? Bummer eh. If only you KNEW!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next