Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Closing June was the correct call.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:50 am 
Sesame street
Sesame street

As a long time Mammoth skier, MVP club member and local condo owner, I am actually encouraged to see Rusty making the tough calls that are necessary to ensure the long term survivability of Mammoth including the recent closing of June and the laying off of employees when the snow failed to fall earlier this year. I hate to see June close as much as anyone, and in some back corner of my mind I hope to see June re-opened again someday. I also hate to see anyone lose a job, and losing a job these days is made especially tough in this current economic climate. Having said that, I expect and demand that Rusty continue to make the tough decisions to not only help Mammoth weather this current economic storm but to flourish and actually grow in the future. I bought a condo in Mammoth and plan on skiing in Mammoth with my family for the next 30 plus years and beyond. I want the mountain to continue to exist and grow as a ski resort and a year round vacation destination.

The reason I am in favor of June closing is simple. I spend thousands of dollars each year in Mammoth Lakes and at Mammoth Mountain. Why should the money that I pay to MMSA in the form of lift tickets/MVP pass, lessons for my kids, rental equipment for visiting family members, etc. go to subsidize June when only a small handful of people really ski June? Keeping June open forces the price of everything I buy at Mammoth to be higher. Or looking at it another way, for the same amount of income to MMSA, they have less money to invest each year back into Mammoth Mountain as some of that money gets shuffled over to June to keep the doors open. The way I see it, MMSA has not been subsidizing June Mountain, I (we) have!

I am not trying to give MMSA or Rusty a free pass. I am sure that over the years there have been plenty of poor decisions made by Rusty and other that have lead to the problems at June coming to a head this year. However, expecting Rusty or MMSA to always make perfect or even good decisions is unreasonable. However, when they are faced with an obvious choice like closing June when it is simply losing money each and every year it operates, well, I do expect them to make that tough decision. I for one am glad they did.

I think the money that has been spent on June over the years could be better spent at Mammoth Mountain. How about a high-speed quad to replace Chair 25? Look at how big an impact the new Chair 5 had this year. It was one of the busier lifts on the mountain. How about improvements to the Lodges? We could use updates at Canyon, and a permanent Eagle Lodge (not that I hate the white tents :o)). Updates to the Main Lodge are needed. How about a gondola from the Eagle base to the top of Lincoln Mountain or higher? The condos around JSL do not have direct mountain access early and late in the season. A gondola that gets you up higher would eliminate some or all of that problem.

We could all list our pet projects, however the point is that there is no shortage of projects that need money at Mammoth. We just cannot afford June at the moment.

Tough but good call Rusty.

Post subject: Re: Closing June was the correct call.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:14 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I know this is unpopular, but I'm afraid I agree............ :worried:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:20 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

MyBackPages wrote:
As a long time Mammoth skier, MVP club member and local condo owner, I am actually encouraged to see Rusty making the tough calls that are necessary to ensure the long term survivability of Mammoth including the recent closing of June and the laying off of employees when the snow failed to fall earlier this year. I hate to see June close as much as anyone, and in some back corner of my mind I hope to see June re-opened again someday. I also hate to see anyone lose a job, and losing a job these days is made especially tough in this current economic climate. Having said that, I expect and demand that Rusty continue to make the tough decisions to not only help Mammoth weather this current economic storm but to flourish and actually grow in the future. I bought a condo in Mammoth and plan on skiing in Mammoth with my family for the next 30 plus years and beyond. I want the mountain to continue to exist and grow as a ski resort and a year round vacation destination.

The reason I am in favor of June closing is simple. I spend thousands of dollars each year in Mammoth Lakes and at Mammoth Mountain. Why should the money that I pay to MMSA in the form of lift tickets/MVP pass, lessons for my kids, rental equipment for visiting family members, etc. go to subsidize June when only a small handful of people really ski June? Keeping June open forces the price of everything I buy at Mammoth to be higher. Or looking at it another way, for the same amount of income to MMSA, they have less money to invest each year back into Mammoth Mountain as some of that money gets shuffled over to June to keep the doors open. The way I see it, MMSA has not been subsidizing June Mountain, I (we) have!

I am not trying to give MMSA or Rusty a free pass. I am sure that over the years there have been plenty of poor decisions made by Rusty and other that have lead to the problems at June coming to a head this year. However, expecting Rusty or MMSA to always make perfect or even good decisions is unreasonable. However, when they are faced with an obvious choice like closing June when it is simply losing money each and every year it operates, well, I do expect them to make that tough decision. I for one am glad they did.

I think the money that has been spent on June over the years could be better spent at Mammoth Mountain. How about a high-speed quad to replace Chair 25? Look at how big an impact the new Chair 5 had this year. It was one of the busier lifts on the mountain. How about improvements to the Lodges? We could use updates at Canyon, and a permanent Eagle Lodge (not that I hate the white tents :o)). Updates to the Main Lodge are needed. How about a gondola from the Eagle base to the top of Lincoln Mountain or higher? The condos around JSL do not have direct mountain access early and late in the season. A gondola that gets you up higher would eliminate some or all of that problem.

We could all list our pet projects, however the point is that there is no shortage of projects that need money at Mammoth. We just cannot afford June at the moment.

Tough but good call Rusty.

How do you feel about subsidizing the shuttle service? Chairs 13, 20 and 21? The Race Department? The restaurant at the top gondola station? The Yodeler?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:29 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I have always heard that they kept June around for the write off. This is nothing more than corporate greed rearing it's ugly head, again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:55 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Grumpy wrote:
I have always heard that they kept June around for the write off. This is nothing more than corporate greed rearing it's ugly head, again.

Most tax write-offs cost more than the tax benefit (although there are some politically-in$pired exceptions). If you write off a losing branch of the business aagainst a profitable one you gain only the tax rate on the difference. Anyone who uses the "we are keeping it for the write-off" excuse is either lying or ignorant.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:10 pm 
Climax
Climax

Did this post merit an entire new thread? First post no less?

Sorry, I see this as a distraction from the countless well thought out posts on the subject already splintered into several different forums. This could've been topical for any of them.

Kinda seems like a lot of great ideas on this subject are getting swept under the rug.

Grumpy, you think your position is unpopular? Try to question Rusty's business acumen in any way shape or form. Then you'll know what unpopular feels like.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:35 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Unpopular or not this came directly from the mouth of one of the top four execs back in 1999. I don't speculate on what I think should happen or the way things ought to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o0V6VPX_E0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:50 pm 
Climax
Climax

You may claim you don't speculate about the way things ought to be, but you, just like everyone else here, has done plenty of that, on plenty of topics. That's the facts jack.

BTW, I clicked on that 3 second movie clip expecting some sort of executive statement. I'm down for hearing what a "top 4" executive said in 1999, even if it's not all that relevant to what's happening 13 years later.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:14 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I will tell you someday over a few beers. Being a bartender for 18 years in this town lends itself to some pretty interesting conversations.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:52 pm 
Climax
Climax

Grumpy wrote:
I will tell you someday over a few beers. Being a bartender for 18 years in this town lends itself to some pretty interesting conversations.

Fair enough. I look forward to that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:31 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Jbaysurfer wrote:
Grumpy wrote:

Fair enough. I look forward to that.

I want in on that beer. I'll even pay for the first round.

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:09 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

All you have to do is look back at why Mammoth bought June and the dream of linking the mountains to realize why June no longer makes economic sense for MMSA.

Nice first post btw. Your views won't be popular with many here on the forum but I happen to agree with basically everything you said.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:21 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Did someone say meeting up for a beer...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:26 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Correct call to sell June.....for their bottom line, okay. Now the correct as well as ethical thing for them to do would be to offer June for sale to another entity who could have a chance to make June thrive. Mammoth doesn't want June, fine. Sell it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:34 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Correct call?!?!?!? you obviously have no idea of the inner workings of Mammoth/June. Rusty in the same sentence claims Mammoth is doing just fine and paying their loans (direct quote) and then bitches about Junes $1.5M dollar (false number) deficit. You are entitled to your opinion but you had better realize that this decision was VERY poor and unfair. 80 people in a community of 300 just lost their jobs WITH NO NOTICE. He effected an entire community and didn't even bother to show up to the meeting. When the people are out on the streets of Mammoth protesting this, the noise is deafening. Forest service, highway patrol, PD, Fire Dept, Mammoth employees in company vehicles, almost every single local business vehicle, and every car that passes through the intersection honks in support. Is this Mammoth attempting damage control? Rusty is obviously scared.