Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's up in June?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:06 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

This week's Sheet:

June Mountain turns a page

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:43 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

I remember sitting in a meeting before June reopened and Rusty promised a replacement for J1 by the 2016-2017 season. I really wanted to believe that and so many residents of June just didn't buy it at all.

From what Dallas was saying at the CAC meeting it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon.

"Another question: Does the current Chair 1 provide the service capacity needed for the ski area?

“No. But at what service level do we think Chair 1 is not good enough? President’s weekend it isn’t good enough. But we have the same situation over at Mammoth,” Dallas said. “We don’t build ski resorts for Sundays, so to speak.”

Dallas affirmed several times throughout the meeting that Chair 1 needs to be a gondola, although he admitted there is still internal debate on the issue.

Williams also chimed in. “We know there are some people who just won’t ride Chair 1. But I don’t think the lift alone is going to solve the issue,” he said. “At the end of the day, it’s about the snow.”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:58 am 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Where is the grooming report hiding on the new site? I'm having a hard time figuring out what is actually open now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:02 am 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

The only thing they post is what chairs are spinning...

Happy carving nekdut... Gunsmoke should be nice...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:51 am 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Is Gunsmoke even open? Roughly which runs are in decent shape now?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:21 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Today's email June Mountain Snow Report:

Quote:
Perfect Conditions for the Long Weekend

Are you ready for this?! Over the past week June Mountain received 7'' of new snow on Saturday, another 4'' on Monday, chairs 4 & 6 have reopened and conditions are the best they have been all season. We can't even begin to tell you how excited we are to share the long holiday weekend with you and your family! Even the weather is forecast is pristine with warm temps and lots of sunshine. Have you purchased everything you need for your trip yet? Tickets and Rentals are available online, give us a call at 888.JuneMtn to book Lessons.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:51 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Any firsthand reports from June? Coming up this weekend and thinking of heading to June for a day to avoid the MM crowds.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:47 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Yes, calisnow went there this past Tuesday and posted this on Facebook, which I in turn posted in the Real Condition Reports 14-15 thread for him.

Quote:
A buddy talked me into going to June today and I'm glad I did. The conditions were fantastic - don't ask me why. Untouched powder, solid coverage, silky groomers - and of course no people. Huge improvement over the Mammoth ice rink.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:04 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Can you ski/ride June top to bottom right now, or is a download of chair 1 currently required?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:47 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

6IX wrote:
Can you ski/ride June top to bottom right now, or is a download of chair 1 currently required?

You HAVE to know the answer to that question... Yes, a download is required just as it has been all season. With the lack of snow and warm temps, it would be absolutely amazing if you could go top-to-bottom. As for conditions, I was there Feb. 8 before it started to rain and it was awesome! Best day I've had all season. No crowds, lots of untracked powder (though still very low tide in the trees as expected), and the groomers were nice for my lady. I've got about 12 or 13 days in at June this season and though the lower portions have had several dirt/rock portions, they have all been excellent. And compared to the #2 show that Mammoth has been with the limited terrain, I'll stick with June.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:28 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

If there was a top ten underrated ski resorts June would be right up there. I guess it's the L.A., OC mentality that Mammoth is always better than June. I was always surprised at how many people at Mammoth that I would be riding lifts with had never heard of June. And most of them were from So. Cal...

And riding down J1 in the afternoon as Freerider once said is a "spiritual experience." Riding down Canyon trail in the afternoon is riding down a road, big deal. Now if it's been snowing all day then riding down the Face in the afternoon is a bonus. I'll never forget the day when it was super wet, almost rain in the morning. As the day went on it got colder. I came into the Chalet for a beer around 1:30pm and a guy at the bar said that the Face would be good around 2. So I had a beer and went out to check the Face. At 2:15pm I had first tracks down the Face. I was just going to go to my car after that but it was soo good I rode up J1 again and lapped the Face again. And I was like the 3rd track on my second run.

I guess after the 405, the 5, the 91 and the 110, Mammoth doesn't seem so bad....

You'll never know until you go 61X..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:49 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Can someone that's been since the "storm" give a conditions report on the J7 runs? Cold, hard reality please, I can take it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:03 am 
Rodger's Ridge

There was a report from calisnow that I posted for him. One page back posted on 2/12 at 7:47 p.m.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:19 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

onegoodturn wrote:
If there was a top ten underrated ski resorts June would be right up there. I guess it's the L.A., OC mentality that Mammoth is always better than June. I was always surprised at how many people at Mammoth that I would be riding lifts with had never heard of June. And most of them were from So. Cal...

And riding down J1 in the afternoon as Freerider once said is a "spiritual experience." Riding down Canyon trail in the afternoon is riding down a road, big deal. Now if it's been snowing all day then riding down the Face in the afternoon is a bonus. I'll never forget the day when it was super wet, almost rain in the morning. As the day went on it got colder. I came into the Chalet for a beer around 1:30pm and a guy at the bar said that the Face would be good around 2. So I had a beer and went out to check the Face. At 2:15pm I had first tracks down the Face. I was just going to go to my car after that but it was soo good I rode up J1 again and lapped the Face again. And I was like the 3rd track on my second run.

I guess after the 405, the 5, the 91 and the 110, Mammoth doesn't seem so bad....

You'll never know until you go 61X..

Spot on, OGT. For every one person I have met in Mammoth that knows of June, there are 10 people who have no idea what or where June is. It amazes me every time. It's kind of a catch 22 in my mind though. I want people to go because I want the mountain and town to flourish, but a lot of the reason I like June (in addition to the vibe, beauty, fun tree runs, et cetera) is because there are so few people. So, in a sense, I like that it's relatively unknown to the (m)asses who come up to Mammoth. But, like I said, I'd also love to see more people at June as I remember there being in the not-so-distant past in order to benefit the town and the mountain.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:25 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

From the weekly email June snow report:

Quote:
4-28" BASE DEPTH
7 LIFTS OPEN
27 TRAILS OPEN

YOUR SNOW AND LIFT REPORT
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2015
Snow Conditions: Machine Groomed
Day Temp: Low 50's
Current Temperature: 51°
Wind: Calm

EPIC Carving Conditions
Although it feels a little too much like spring in the Eastern Sierra, so much so that we've dubbed this month "Febuly", the skiing and riding conditions are truly EPIC. As temps warm up around the chalet in the morning the turns on J4 & J7 are so much fun that words can hardly describe how you feel at the end of each run. For the weekend we're seeing a chance of snow flakes and colder temps so pack your layers but don't forget the sunscreen.

888.JUNEMTN - JUNEMOUNTAIN.COM

IMHO, the word "Epic" seems to be a tad overused this season for both mountains.

www.mammothmuseum.org

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next