Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's up in June?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:47 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

6IX wrote:
Can you ski/ride June top to bottom right now, or is a download of chair 1 currently required?

You HAVE to know the answer to that question... Yes, a download is required just as it has been all season. With the lack of snow and warm temps, it would be absolutely amazing if you could go top-to-bottom. As for conditions, I was there Feb. 8 before it started to rain and it was awesome! Best day I've had all season. No crowds, lots of untracked powder (though still very low tide in the trees as expected), and the groomers were nice for my lady. I've got about 12 or 13 days in at June this season and though the lower portions have had several dirt/rock portions, they have all been excellent. And compared to the #2 show that Mammoth has been with the limited terrain, I'll stick with June.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:28 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

If there was a top ten underrated ski resorts June would be right up there. I guess it's the L.A., OC mentality that Mammoth is always better than June. I was always surprised at how many people at Mammoth that I would be riding lifts with had never heard of June. And most of them were from So. Cal...

And riding down J1 in the afternoon as Freerider once said is a "spiritual experience." Riding down Canyon trail in the afternoon is riding down a road, big deal. Now if it's been snowing all day then riding down the Face in the afternoon is a bonus. I'll never forget the day when it was super wet, almost rain in the morning. As the day went on it got colder. I came into the Chalet for a beer around 1:30pm and a guy at the bar said that the Face would be good around 2. So I had a beer and went out to check the Face. At 2:15pm I had first tracks down the Face. I was just going to go to my car after that but it was soo good I rode up J1 again and lapped the Face again. And I was like the 3rd track on my second run.

I guess after the 405, the 5, the 91 and the 110, Mammoth doesn't seem so bad....

You'll never know until you go 61X..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:49 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Can someone that's been since the "storm" give a conditions report on the J7 runs? Cold, hard reality please, I can take it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:03 am 
Rodger's Ridge

There was a report from calisnow that I posted for him. One page back posted on 2/12 at 7:47 p.m.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:19 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

onegoodturn wrote:
If there was a top ten underrated ski resorts June would be right up there. I guess it's the L.A., OC mentality that Mammoth is always better than June. I was always surprised at how many people at Mammoth that I would be riding lifts with had never heard of June. And most of them were from So. Cal...

And riding down J1 in the afternoon as Freerider once said is a "spiritual experience." Riding down Canyon trail in the afternoon is riding down a road, big deal. Now if it's been snowing all day then riding down the Face in the afternoon is a bonus. I'll never forget the day when it was super wet, almost rain in the morning. As the day went on it got colder. I came into the Chalet for a beer around 1:30pm and a guy at the bar said that the Face would be good around 2. So I had a beer and went out to check the Face. At 2:15pm I had first tracks down the Face. I was just going to go to my car after that but it was soo good I rode up J1 again and lapped the Face again. And I was like the 3rd track on my second run.

I guess after the 405, the 5, the 91 and the 110, Mammoth doesn't seem so bad....

You'll never know until you go 61X..

Spot on, OGT. For every one person I have met in Mammoth that knows of June, there are 10 people who have no idea what or where June is. It amazes me every time. It's kind of a catch 22 in my mind though. I want people to go because I want the mountain and town to flourish, but a lot of the reason I like June (in addition to the vibe, beauty, fun tree runs, et cetera) is because there are so few people. So, in a sense, I like that it's relatively unknown to the (m)asses who come up to Mammoth. But, like I said, I'd also love to see more people at June as I remember there being in the not-so-distant past in order to benefit the town and the mountain.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:25 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

From the weekly email June snow report:

Quote:
4-28" BASE DEPTH
7 LIFTS OPEN
27 TRAILS OPEN

YOUR SNOW AND LIFT REPORT
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2015
Snow Conditions: Machine Groomed
Day Temp: Low 50's
Current Temperature: 51°
Wind: Calm

EPIC Carving Conditions
Although it feels a little too much like spring in the Eastern Sierra, so much so that we've dubbed this month "Febuly", the skiing and riding conditions are truly EPIC. As temps warm up around the chalet in the morning the turns on J4 & J7 are so much fun that words can hardly describe how you feel at the end of each run. For the weekend we're seeing a chance of snow flakes and colder temps so pack your layers but don't forget the sunscreen.

888.JUNEMTN - JUNEMOUNTAIN.COM

IMHO, the word "Epic" seems to be a tad overused this season for both mountains.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:40 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

PE395 wrote:
Can someone that's been since the "storm" give a conditions report on the J7 runs? Cold, hard reality please, I can take it. Thanks.

Photos of June posted today by SurfnSnowboard on the Mammoth real conditions 14-15 thread:

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/surfnsn ... t=2&page=1

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:39 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I see that the MVP BAF is good at June, but the price is already higher than June tix. Is there a BAF rate for June? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:58 am 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

There was in the past. Can't remember how much though. If you call them they can tell you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:56 am 
Rodger's Ridge

2/23/15 Cam capture - top of J3 at June Mtn. where they picked up 8-16" of light lake-effect snow! Might be time to get my gear out of the locker and get my butt to June!!

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:55 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Ohhh, even more snow than originally reported. This is from this morning's emailed Dump Alert!

Quote:
14-24"storm total
24 Hr. Snow: 8-16"
Conditions: New Snow
2 FEET IN THE LAST 48 HOURS
Storm Total: 14-24" Current Temperature: 25°
Day Temp: Mid 20's Wind: Calm

Winter is back in action! Mother Nature stopped by this weekend in the form of two feet of beautiful, fresh, powdery snow. So long "Febuly", it's a snow day. Grab your friends, your skis or board and hit the road to June.

Heading up there Wednesday! :)

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:48 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

So happy to be back skiing at beautiful June Mountain! The snow was amazing on all the runs off J7 and even down lower at the end of our 2 hour session. Here are a few photos and the balance you can see in my Photobucket album (I have blocked all the ads there with AdBlock.). Back down in the parking lot we saw a Bald Eagle fly overhead. Went to the June Lake Brewery afterwards and loved the chicken and pig tacos from Ohana's 395 Hawaiian food truck parked in the JLB lot. I stopped at Oh Ridge and took some photos of the E Clampus Vitus marker that was erected in 2010. An absolutely perfect day!

Can anyone find the grammatical error on this plaque? Oops!

All of today's photos: http://s289.photobucket.com/user/Sierra ... er%2014-15

www.mammothmuseum.org

Last edited by Sierra Lady on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:25 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

As Sierra Lady said, amazing day at June today. I think this pic sums it up...Gunsmoke 3pm:

Rode until about 3:30 then hit the June Lake Brewery for a beer and afterwards watched the sunset from a hot spring. Perfect end to a great day! Seeing the bald eagle soaring over June was the highlight at least until I watched the clouds turn pink and purple after sunset.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:44 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Does anyone have a clue if chairs 4 and 6 will be open this weekend if they get a decent amount of snow this Friday? I'm thinking of coming up Friday night and skiing Saturday if any fellow forumites want to meet up let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:47 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

I so need me some Gunsmoke and Schatzi. See you guys this weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next