Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Step-in bindings are back?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:25 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Never thought I'd see this...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba_yIhOBt2t/

Post subject: Re: Step-in bindings are back?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:29 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I still pull my Clicker HB's out every once in a while - usually riding locally with the kids where I don't need a lot of performance. I am always amazed how much fun they are. These look a lot more solid than the K2's. I only ever broke one highback on the K2's but they always seemed a little flimsy. The real problem with the K2's was the boots. The system relied so much on the boots being stiff so they wouldn't work as well once the boots wore-in. There was also an additional strap over the ankle that was always coming loose. Hopefully have resolved a lot of the problems with the old Burton SiS system. Those things were always a pain to get locked in.

All that said...

Holy CR#P!! $250 for the bindings and $300 for the boots?!? Unless some other brand comes up with a comparable Step-in system, that's not coming down either. What if they stop making them like they did with the SiS? If Burton shows continued support and they prove to work better than the SiS then maybe, but that price :o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:38 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

That's a big investment for anyone that already owns boots and bindings. I'm actually surprised they didn't start out with a much cheaper low-end system targeting beginners.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:45 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I rode the Si for a season way back when, and while I thought they actually performed pretty good, I just missed the micro adjustment of straps. As for cost, I had a buddy that was a binding engineer at the Big B, and stuff like this was always aimed at the high end consumer. The fact they're back ordered says a lot. Let's face it, older riders tend to have more disposable income, might be gear nerds, don't like sitting down to strap in (even though you should never have to), and most importantly don't care that core park shreds hate on step-ins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:22 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

2000 was a frustrating season because of that dumb binding+boot system. My boot would get frozen into the step in binding, thanks to the plastic clicking into metal. I think I even sent the stupid thing back to Burton to fix something. Never again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:12 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Quote:
Holy CR#P!! $250 for the bindings and $300 for the boots?!?

That's a lot of $$$?
Cheap compared to ski boots and bindings...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:32 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

^ I snowboard and thought the same thing, too.

But, I've been pricing skiing kit and haven't bought new snowboard stuff in years, so maybe that's why.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:42 pm 
Sesame street
Sesame street

Yeah, and that's at full price. If you pick them up in the off-season, you're probably going to be able to get them for at least 40% off, so the pricing doesn't seem out of line with other decent equipment these days. Certainly cheaper than ski gear, that's for sure. I honestly don't think I've paid anywhere close to full price for any significant piece of ski or snowboard gear in the last decade. Once shopping on the internet got so easy, it became very easy to get huge discounts on high quality gear.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I guess part of my reaction to the price is because I haven't bought boots and bindings at the same time in probably 20 years. I've paid about $300 for boots a couple of years ago but they worked with my existing bindings which lasted for years.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:24 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Research and development process

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:11 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Wow great video. Looks solid. Interesting how new technology, in this case 3D printing, enabled them to rapid prototype over the and over until it was right.