Forums
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Seat Height: Mammoth ups the ante on "Doing It Wrong"
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:56 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

psg wrote:
I foolishly chose to get a Baldy winter pass this season ($300) because I live 20 minutes to ski lift parking lot. They haven't opened a lift beyond chair 2 all season.

Sigh, I guess I just made a non-charitable donation.

That's too bad, I use to love the terrain at Baldy, it seems like it's been years since they've had any decent snow. Maybe next year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:57 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Don't get me started on Baldy. When the new owners bought it. They bought a couple of snow cats from Mammoth, put in some new guns, built a reservoir and went all out. Made for a good experience. They were busy with everyone that bought the virtual pass. But they weren't making any money beyond they initial pass purchase cause those guys don't spend money at the Notch. If they would have blown snow on thunder this year it would have been fun with the 8 inch snows. It costs them to much to blow and maintain. The tubers pay for parking by lift tickets and eat at the Notch. So unless there is natural snow forget about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:07 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

If that is a business model that keeps them going between seasons that are rideable, kudos to them for that!

I so want it to happen that I am over-indexing on positivity. Which is weird for me, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:34 am 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Dont hurt yourself w that surplus positivity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:03 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

ride395 wrote:
If that is a business model that keeps them going between seasons that are rideable, kudos to them for that!

I agree. True Baldy skiing does not exist without abundant natural snow. The snowmaking is best for keeping the high traffic areas like the Gulch, Bonanza, bottom of Robin's well covered. No avid Baldy skiers were going there in a year like this one with only 3 feet of natural snow, none of it more than 6-8 inches at a time, all season.

The last good season at Baldy was 2009-10. January was looking good last year, but then it rained 4x during the first 2 weeks of February. I had a decent spring day in March 2017 on Thunder, but chair 1&4 snowpack was long gone by then.

I bought the season pass only for 2015-16 because the strong El Nino raised the odds of a good SoCal natural snow season from 30% to 60%. But that turned out to be a non-charitable contribution too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11