Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Proof again Mammoth wants June to fail
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:31 am 
Sesame street
Sesame street

I've been a pass holder at MMSA for 20 years. Not the last year or this year however. Been skiing more backcountry and picked up the Mountain Collective pass last year. Seen some new ski areas and enjoyed some new terrain.

So I was excited to see Mammoth was joining this year. I am a second homeowner in town and figured with Mammoth joining I would come to Mammoth more this year.

As you know with the mountain collective pass you can ski Alta/Snowbird. Or Whistler/Blackcomb. Or Squaw/Alpine. Or Mammoth/. Wait where is June? Logic would say since Mammoth owns June, both areas would be available to purchase a ticket and use your pass. Not so much.

Doing some searching I found this post in the MMSA forum mountain collective thread from Skeeze:
" just called: the 2 free tickets are good at either June or Mammoth and then all future June tickets are 50% off the June rate"

I don't think so Skeeze. Who did you talk to?

Me not believing some random post I called MMSA and spoke with Chris. He went to his manager because he didn't know the answer to my question being: Can i purchase tickets at June at the 50% off rate? Skiing a few laps at June for $36 and hitting their slack country terrain seemed like a decent deal to me.

Chris tells me June is NOT part of the mountain collective. However I can buy my tickets at Mammoth and they are valid at June. Ok so Mammoth wants the extra cash from the higher ticket prices. They probably also want in on the books that it was a Mammoth purchased ticket not June. But here's the kicker. If i want to ski June I have to drive up to Canyon or Main Lodge purchase my ticket there, get back in my truck and drive to June. Yeah that's really what i want to do.

Why is Mammoth making it so difficult for June to succeed?

Post subject: Re: Proof again Mammoth wants June to fail
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:36 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

I'm 99% sure that no official decision has been made on this. You were probably speaking with the ticket office who was giving you the current set up to the best of his knowledge. Certainly not someone who is even remotely able to make the final decision. The June tickets aren't even loaded into their software yet. So we'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:20 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

DocChronic wrote:
I've been a pass holder at MMSA for 20 years. Not the last year or this year however. Been skiing more backcountry and picked up the Mountain Collective pass last year. Seen some new ski areas and enjoyed some new terrain.

So I was excited to see Mammoth was joining this year. I am a second homeowner in town and figured with Mammoth joining I would come to Mammoth more this year.

As you know with the mountain collective pass you can ski Alta/Snowbird. Or Whistler/Blackcomb. Or Squaw/Alpine. Or Mammoth/. Wait where is June? Logic would say since Mammoth owns June, both areas would be available to purchase a ticket and use your pass. Not so much.

Doing some searching I found this post in the MMSA forum mountain collective thread from Skeeze:
" just called: the 2 free tickets are good at either June or Mammoth and then all future June tickets are 50% off the June rate"

I don't think so Skeeze. Who did you talk to?

Me not believing some random post I called MMSA and spoke with Chris. He went to his manager because he didn't know the answer to my question being: Can i purchase tickets at June at the 50% off rate? Skiing a few laps at June for $36 and hitting their slack country terrain seemed like a decent deal to me.

Chris tells me June is NOT part of the mountain collective. However I can buy my tickets at Mammoth and they are valid at June. Ok so Mammoth wants the extra cash from the higher ticket prices. They probably also want in on the books that it was a Mammoth purchased ticket not June. But here's the kicker. If i want to ski June I have to drive up to Canyon or Main Lodge purchase my ticket there, get back in my truck and drive to June. Yeah that's really what i want to do.

Why is Mammoth making it so difficult for June to succeed?

I'm in the same exact boat as you are. I would love to be able to get 50% off June tickets with the Mountain Collective. Mammoth - please make this happen!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:48 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I called the same number you did and was definitely told that I could purchase half off June tickets at the June rate. Definitely concerning that you didn't get the same answer...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:47 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I'd like to know the real answer. Was considering the Mountain Collective pass, but havent pulled the trigger yet, and this is one of the reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:57 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

If you are confused then it is not clear. What is going on? Is Obama running this thing?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:39 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

There is some precedent with Alta/Snowbird. The MC pass is for a COMBINED ticket. The ensuing half price tickets after the 2 free days will cost half the price of an AltaBird ticket, NOT half the price of a Snowbird only or Alta only ticket.

So I think it is possible that MC people will pay half the Mammoth day ticket price to ski June. As for making people buy the tickets at Mammoth, I'd be very surprised at that.

It is silly to say MMSA wants June to fail if they are putting $11 million into it before 2015-16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:43 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Time will tell.

P.S. I think one of the posts above yours is meant to be a joke.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:49 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Quote:
There is some precedent with Alta/Snowbird.

That is true, however, the two resorts are connected by 2 chairs. They already have an Alta/Snowbird ticket which is more than a Tram ticket or an Alta only ticket. So, I joined the Premium this year since my kids are in school in Utah. It will cost me about $50.00 a day to ski the combined resorts when I go up there.

The big difference I can see in the collective is that most resorts are premium. Not to knock anyone's ego down a notch but June is not in the class of the resorts offered. I have even heard on this Forum that June sux.

So, even though Mammoth owns June and runs it (sometimes) it still would not surprise me that the Collective Pass would not be valid at June.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:05 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

TonyC wrote:
It is silly to say MMSA wants June to fail if they are putting $11 million into it before 2015-16.
I was searching for something else when I stumbled on Tony's message. Does anybody remember the article that covered this "putting $11 million into [June Mountain] before 2015-16"? Did they paint something with really expensive paint or something?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:58 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

ShiftyRider wrote:
TonyC wrote:
I was searching for something else when I stumbled on Tony's message. Does anybody remember the article that covered this "putting $11 million into [June Mountain] before 2015-16"? Did they paint something with really expensive paint or something?

That was posted before the drought got epic and priorities changed. They were supposed to have added snowmaking and replaced J1 by now according to Rusty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:13 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

There will always be some (BS?) excuse. (FWIW I don't care much about the $11M. I do care when the same people, especially policymakers but also forum debaters, fall for the BS...EVERY TIME.)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13762&p=271849#p271849
[looks like Jbaysurfer and ShiftyRider win again!!!]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:45 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Interesting to look back at that thread to see that Rusty did exactly what he said was necessary - go out and find capital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:57 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Yes, but MMSA hasn't spent the $11M he and Tony (above) said they would. BTW the breakdown was $5M for finding water/snowmaking and $6M for a new Chair 1.

Here's a good article that talks about trust...
http://mammothtimes.com/content/gregory ... s-ski-area

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:14 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I remember reading that they had test wells drilled. Maybe they have spent some or all of it.

Found it: http://mammothtimes.com/content/snowmak ... s-june-mtn