Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

How long will Mammoth stay open?
Poll ended at Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:57 pm
Just until the 4th of July weekend.  27%  [ 6 ]
End of July.  18%  [ 4 ]
Into August just for bragging rights.  32%  [ 7 ]
Until the end of August.  5%  [ 1 ]
As long as there is snow.  5%  [ 1 ]
All summer!  9%  [ 2 ]
As long as Ullr allows.  5%  [ 1 ]
Who cares I'm ready for some mtn biking!  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Re: How long do you think Mammoth will stay open this season?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:22 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Irregardless of this ski season, how long can the deepest part of the snow last? Could a patch make it to next season?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:37 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

^^ I'm a little worried about my camping plans in July! (Lake George area)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:29 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

They could easily stay open into August. But for bragging rights? There's been other seasons with just as much snow as this one, and yet I have never seen it close later than July 5th (other than that one year in the 80s where it stayed open until late August, but that was under Dave McCoy.)

My prediction is they will go until July 9th. They have more than enough snow for that easily, and they would also have bragging rights just for that, too, because it's later than any season in the last 20 years, even if by a few days.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:51 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

July 9th would mean we still have 3 full months left this season. :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:13 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

There have been other big snow years, but isnt the real question how much snow is still on the ground later in the year? Usually it melts off quickly but its the middle of April and isnt there still 20-30 feet still on the slope and more to come? Thats a lot to move around to access Summer bike trails.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:35 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

snowhottie wrote:
There have been other big snow years, but isnt the real question how much snow is still on the ground later in the year? Usually it melts off quickly but its the middle of April and isnt there still 20-30 feet still on the slope and more to come? Thats a lot to move around to access Summer bike trails.

Rumor is that the bike park will be run out of Canyon Lodge this year. Should be some trails melting out by June anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:39 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Race teams already scheduled for 3rd week in July.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:29 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Mammoth was open to July 28 in 1983 and August 13 in 1995. I skied Mammoth on July 15 in 1995. As for how long snow will last I used AT gear to ski Cornice to Gremlin's on Aug. 31 and Sep. 1 in 2011. I also went back to ski Oct. 7 after a 17 inch storm to make 12 consecutive months at Mammoth. Ice caps remained at the top of Climax and Dave's into the 2011-12 season.

In 2011 Mammoth could have run past July 4 but did not. I got the impression that current management would never do it again for economic reasons. They make money on Memorial and July 4 holiday weekends but need race camps to pay the bills otherwise. Maybe this year they know far enough in advance to be confident there will be snow for July race camps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:47 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Anyone want to change their vote?

:P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:25 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

the poll has a flaw-it doesnt address the broadway rule or download
no doubt they can stay open past july....but most likely broadway will melt away by august. so when ppl are voting that it'll go into august does that mean skiing down broadway?

In the shittiest season they can open late if 4th floor wanted...issues be public's interest and budget
if they open yr round (thru this summer/fall) it'll be a challenge to support daily operational costs. I doubt tickets sales will supplement that much to cover overheads. More feasible to open only weekends if they decide to stay yr rnd.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:50 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

It's a pretty simple question - how long will they stay open for skiing and boarding. Doesn't matter if Broadway is skiable or not. There's plenty of hints suggesting it'll be longer than the 4th of July weekend. As I mentioned in another thread the ceo of Squaw has already said they may try to stay open all year with at least one chair running.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:20 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

bombtripper wrote:
no doubt they can stay open past july....but most likely broadway will melt away by august. so when ppl are voting that it'll go into august does that mean skiing down broadway?

Didnt they just ignore that Broadway Rule in the last 2 years?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:43 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

snowhottie wrote:
bombtripper wrote:

They definitely ignored it last year. I think the popularity of the Scenic Gondola rides has changed things up. If you're running the gondola anyway then the cost of staying open for skiing is marginal. Last year you could bike and ski off the top at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:44 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I'm changing my vote. I still believe it's an economic decision, but as long as they have enough snow to schedule race camps they will stay open. On my last trip April 19-21 a patroller told me camps are scheduled to early August. He also expressed an opinion that the public will be allowed to ski as long is there is enough snow for camps and public to coexist. This is the way it worked in 1995.

In 2011 March was huge, so MMSA may not have known there was a possibility of going past July 4 until well into spring. This year they probably knew by mid-February and so started lining up the camps early on.

The Broadway Rule is obviously dead. Even Saddle Bowl was marginal by late June from the pics I saw last year. I could tell at Memorial Day weekend that it would be so.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:15 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Quote:
Quote:
It's a pretty simple question

Quote:
I still believe it's an economic decision, but as long as they have enough snow to schedule race camps they will stay open... a patroller told me camps are scheduled to early August. He also expressed an opinion that the public will be allowed to ski as long is there is enough snow for camps and public to coexist. This is the way it worked in 1995.
The Broadway Rule is obviously dead.

Quote:

The question is also just as "simple" as asking how much total snowfall the season will end up with after a huge December. Im not trying to belittle your poll here just saying even, safe to assume, the mgmt team doesn't even know (at the time when this poll started). Also this poll was conducted well before a "hint" like squaw's open yr rnd "rumors," which should carry minimal weight since it' just a thought at the time. And as of rt now no declaration of open yr rnd by either resorts, which means, yeah no surprise, no sh!t, mgmt still doesnt know.....

With last season going to download policy the assumption now is that the broadway rule is dead? Where's the proof? This rule will never go away cuz it makes economical sense. Most likely a season by season approach. However, the one thing MMSA is good at is CHANGING polices. And not following policies. For ex, I've lost a pass before, go up to counter ask for a replacement walk out with no money exchanged. Supposed to be $50 at the time.

Hearing stuff said on the hill by staff I personally discount em. A ski patroller is just that...dude's prolly not crunchy numbers with the managers and execs cuz thats not his job. I mean sh!t it looks like they are trying hard to lure people in, $50 resort credit for May and Kids ski free....what will they do for August? Free massage and car wash?

And lastly, after how many years they finally re-figured it out that bikers, sightseers and skiers can all share the hill at the same time? Really? And now it'll be the norm? C'mon...

Footnote: A lot of Tahoe diehards ski mammoth late spring into summer. If squaw opens yr rnd Im sure this will impact tkt sales for mammoth, vice versa.

Ive been at closing day 80% of the time for the last 15 yrs. I've seen the state of the hill, and many times Ive wonder why are they closing the season.

Last yr they closed July 4 with WORD going to ch 3, downloading to Main.

The year before they closed May 25, 2015 at 1pm. This was lower St Anton (pic) a day before. Albeit a few inches of "fresh" snow. Not to show you can ski st anton to main cuz it couldnt be done but to show how much snow on the the 23 side.
Image.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next