Forums
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mammoth bought by Aspen / KSL Capital Partners
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:39 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

How would connecting Mammoth and June even work realistically? Seems like you'd have to build a ton of lifts all over San Joaquin ridge. Does anyone know what Dave's original plan was like? I think the wilderness boundary runs along the ridge so theoretically I guess it could happen.

I'd personally be meh about it.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:06 am 
Rodger's Ridge

It's about 2.5 miles from the bottom of chair 9 to the bottom of chair 12. It's about 6.5 miles from the bottom of chair 12 to the top of J7. That's 6.5 miles straight line. Longer when you take into account the ridge. 4 miles farther than the distance from one side of Mammoth to the other. That would take several lifts and a lot of grooming, patrolling, infrastructure, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:27 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

For comparison;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_2_Peak_Gondola

Peak 2 Peak is 2.73 miles, ride time is 11 mins. Oh yeah, and season ticket prices were increased $59 CDN/year to pay for it. Using SnS's numbers, you can multiply that by at least 2.5 to even get an idea what it would take to build Mammoth to June. Add to that, safe to say there is nowhere near the demand for people to get between Mammoth and June as there is to get between Whistler Peak and Blackcomb Peak.

Then....

There are all the environmental concerns that Sierra Gentleman has discussed in great detail in previous threads.

Seems like a fun idea but we are more likely to see High Speed Rail drop us off at the village on the 1/2 hour from Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:07 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Bring back the People Remover. :rofl:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:38 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

PE395 wrote:
Bring back the People Remover. :rofl:

Maybe skittles kid will start a gofundme campaign.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:59 am 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Here is Rusty's press conference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9tG2vkabP0

http://mammothsnowman.com
http://discovermammoth.com

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:21 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

In the video above Rusty says clearly that June and Mammoth can't be connected because of the wilderness designation. He also said it was never a practical idea because you'd need another entire town to support the number of lifts and acres of terrain.

Q: Is there any more talk about linking Mammoth and June?

A: No because you can't now.

As I said it's BS.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:48 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
In the video above Rusty says clearly that June and Mammoth can't be connected

Why there was never a 2x morning, once midday and 2x evening shuttle running between the resorts I'll never know. It seems a lot easier and cheaper than the lift connection idea.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:25 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

^ There was for the past several years with ESTA. The winter route is off the schedule now, but they have added a summer schedule!

https://www.estransit.com/routes-schedu ... ke-summer/

https://www.estransit.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:44 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Looking forward to the "new" Mammoth-Alpine-Squaw pass. Just picked up the Bronze pass for the 2017-2018 season(Squawpine). Hopefully the 2018-2019 pass will have an option for all three...we shall see....
I have the Vail Tahoe Value Pass and it is a great deal for me. (Northstar/Heavenly/Kirkwood). I have consumed the Kool-Aid, and it is good. Ditched my Sugar Bowl midweek pass for the Squawpine pass.....

I heart Corporate Ski Areas.

All hail Aspen/KSL !
All hail Vail !

(turns from podium and takes seat with the rest of the forum crowd)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:02 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

I know these folks will come in & give us a bunch of new lifts & infrastructure improvements, but I'm afraid it will be at the cost of the Mountain's soul & identity. If the Devils from Aspen/Ksl take away or make us pay to park at Stump it may be time to head back to UTAH! Such a fun place to hang out in the Spring.

I've heard all the Tahoe skiers the past 2 trips bitching that they've ruined Squaw Valley by reducing mid-week lift operations. If that bottom-line mentality is implemented here, it will help send the Soul of this magic place to Purgatory. Will more lifts, high priced lodging & facilities, higher lift tickets, pay for parking, etc., if they come to fruition, be worth the loss of our the identity & soul of MM.

I've always loved that MM keeps all lifts running mid-week, & always tries to keep lifts running during our fierce wind events. MM is just one hell of a great mountain to ski, with wind-buff like nowhere I've ever seen. Don't want to see this turn into another overpriced
soulless corporate clone!

I took a half hour off skiing today, hoping to talk to Rusty himself on the fourth floor but he was out of town. I expressed what concerns I had to a co-worker who said she would pass them on to him, & have him call or Email me. We'll see.

I hope I'm very wrong!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:48 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

In Paul Oster's blog, he mentions a rumor about there being a lawsuit between Intrawest and Aspen/KSL. I had not heard of this rumor until now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:29 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/lawsuit-challenges-aspen-skiing-co-ksl-purchase-of-intrawest/

Looks like this is it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:19 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Looks like an Intrawest stockholder is suing Intrawest and wants the sale enjoined until resolution around valuation and discounted stock price in the sale.

KSL/Aspen not named in suit.

Interesting!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:05 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

powderpig wrote:
I know these folks will come in & give us a bunch of new lifts & infrastructure improvements, but I'm afraid it will be at the cost of the Mountain's soul & identity. If the Devils from Aspen/Ksl take away or make us pay to park at Stump it may be time to head back to UTAH! Such a fun place to hang out in the Spring.

I've heard all the Tahoe skiers the past 2 trips bitching that they've ruined Squaw Valley by reducing mid-week lift operations. If that bottom-line mentality is implemented here, it will help send the Soul of this magic place to Purgatory. Will more lifts, high priced lodging & facilities, higher lift tickets, pay for parking, etc., if they come to fruition, be worth the loss of our the identity & soul of MM.

I've always loved that MM keeps all lifts running mid-week, & always tries to keep lifts running during our fierce wind events. MM is just one hell of a great mountain to ski, with wind-buff like nowhere I've ever seen. Don't want to see this turn into another overpriced
soulless corporate clone!

I took a half hour off skiing today, hoping to talk to Rusty himself on the fourth floor but he was out of town. I expressed what concerns I had to a co-worker who said she would pass them on to him, & have him call or Email me. We'll see.

I hope I'm very wrong!

The statements coming from Aspen/KSL are that they do not want a uniform corporate model, that they believe in the individual areas retaining their own local cultures.

I have noted the local controversy over KSL closing parts of Squaw midweek. We observed this in person with Silverado closed on March 29, Liz' birthday. Liz later commented that instead of KSL running Mammoth, maybe they should let Rusty run Squaw!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next