Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paul Oster's Blog Concerning Gondola Expansion
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:31 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

"My regular readers know how I feel about Mammoth Mountain completing the gondola system. It has been the desire of the Forest Service to have it completed for the past 20 years. The plan has been to have skiers equally entering the Ski Area from a handful of "portals" rather than the emphasis on the Main Lodge. The plan has always been to reduce the vehicle traffic to the Main Lodge. The plan also allows skiers to enter from Eagle, The Village or Canyon Lodge and access the core of the Mountain ski runs regardless of snow conditions on the east side of the Mountain.

The Mountain's planning consultants, Hart Howerton, highly endorse the plan. But the Ski Area owners simply don't want to spend the money. Ironically, their lodging customer base at
From Paul Oster at http://paulosterrealestate.com

Eagle and the Village are the ones who suffer the most from this shortsidedness. I have even recommended that the completion of the gondola system should be a contingency of the

Main Lodge land exchange.

What is even more insulting is that the major ski areas across the country are actively building new gondolas giving better access from the bed base to the most popular ski runs. Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows recently announced that the new "California Express" is expected to be completed by the 2019-20 ski season. This new gondola will link the bases of the two ski areas giving skiers "seamless" access to over 6,000 acres of terrain.

And the environmental advantages are clear; reducing car and shuttle traffic for skiers, employees and local residents, protecting critical wildlife habitats, avoiding wilderness areas, and minimizing visual impacts. And today's gondola construction can be accomplished without building roads by utilizing helicopters, etc.

And Whistler, that already has one of the most impressive gondola systems, recently announced another $275 million in capital improvements over the next seven years including a 163,000 square foot indoor water park.

We can only hope that Mammoth's new ownership has some real improvement plans for Mammoth. The customers have waited long enough.

Thanks for reading!"

Very well done article

Post subject: Re: Paul Oster's Blog Concerning Gondola Expansion
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:44 am 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

*shortSIGHTEDness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:46 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

My feelings are that we have had to deal with the Main Lodge "bottleneck" for long enough. Spring skiing brings memories of parking down by the earthquake fault. When I bought one of the Village condos a long time ago (sold it in two months), there were grand plans to turn chair 15 into a Gondola and extending it to near the top of the mountain for all season access, regardless if there is even skiing on that side of the mountain. From what I recall, chair 15 was designed to be converted into a gondola, if that day ever comes to pass. So I guess you could assume we are half way there.

The environmental benefits would be great, as the driving up to main lodge would be greatly reduced, as will the accidents that frequently occur on the two severe bends in the road. Not a snowy day goes by without an accident at those locations.

The new owners need to follow the lead of other resorts to improve and expand on the environmental benefits that increased "skier portals" could bring.

One major fly in the ointment is the current proposed legislation of the elimination of the 2nd home tax deductions. Never quite understood the logic of 2nd homes and RV's mortgage interest being tax deductible. Seems that the luxury of 2nd home ownership does not need to be subsidized the government. However, I am certain the new owners of Mammoth will be looking at the impact of 2nd home sales, since this is generally a real estate play, not necessarily a ski resort play.

Just my 2 centavos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:20 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

One of my long-standing criticisms of Mammoth is the lack of follow-through. When the Village Gondola and Eagle Express were built the plans laid out included converting Eagle into a gondola and extending the Village Gondola to the top of Eagle. That would be extended to the top of Lincoln and then eventually continue on to the top of Dave's Run.

Obviously none of that ever happened. The bottom anchor was poured but is sitting there in front of the top terminal of the Village Gondola not being used. I'm pretty sure Rusty has said there's still some plan to have a chair or gondola access the saddle at the top of Lincoln from Eagle. There would also be a new restaurant built there.

I've heard that Dave's isn't capable of holding a top gondola building but I've also heard that a gondola there would be in the path of the avalanche gun. Never know what to believe.

I do strongly believe that people who start at Eagle and Canyon should not have to ride at least 3 lifts just to access the top.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:35 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

2NAKLLR wrote:
*shortSIGHTEDness.

LOL...I noticed that, too when reading my emailed version from Paul.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:42 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

We can spitball year after year about it and whatever happenes is out of our hands. With RE continuously driving deals amongst ownership changes its no surprise the construction and progress is nearly as haphazard as youd see in Baja.

Was 16-17 a black year for skier visits? Snow was deep; season was long. And was that enough of an infusion on its own? I think yes to the former and no to the latter. Couple more good yrs to build from.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:59 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

I've heard from multiple sources that MMSA made significant profit in 2015-2016 season (which was a mediocre year weather-wise most measures, but a lot of pent up demand after the dry years) and 2016-2017 was a dream season in terms of cash flow.

I haven't paid attention in recent months, but has there been any further news on Eagle Lodge's permanent development? Last I checked, this was going to happen before anything at Main, and I would expect them to break ground in Spring 2018.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:16 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

LOL they were supposed to break ground on that lodge over 15 years ago... for now it's all just HYPE

http://mammothsnowman.com
http://discovermammoth.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:08 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

psg wrote:
I've heard from multiple sources that MMSA made significant profit in 2015-2016 season (which was a mediocre year weather-wise most measures, but a lot of pent up demand after the dry years) and 2016-2017 was a dream season in terms of cash flow.

I haven't paid attention in recent months, but has there been any further news on Eagle Lodge's permanent development? Last I checked, this was going to happen before anything at Main, and I would expect them to break ground in Spring 2018.

There has been quite a bit of news about finally building Eagle Lodge since Aspen/KSL purchased Mammoth. Rusty said it's a priority:

http://mammothtimes.com/content/new-eagle-lodge-‘top-priority’-ski-area

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:24 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
psg wrote:

There has been quite a bit of news about finally building Eagle Lodge since Aspen/KSL purchased Mammoth. Rusty said it's a priority:

http://mammothtimes.com/content/new-eagle-lodge-‘top-priority’-ski-area

Yup, that's the last I've heard about the Eagle plans, where Rusty specifically states that this is going to be the first area that moves. I can't remember who I spoke to about it this season, but they mentioned that the Eagle Lodge "tents" (for lack of a better term) are approaching end of life, especially since they've been in use as a semi-permanent fixture for way longer than intended. So the permanent lodge plans will have to move forward anyway, unless MMSA wants to buy some new tents.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:50 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Somewhere between Outpost 14 and Hash House a Go Go...
I thought this was an oyster blog.

I have really got to slow down and read.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:10 am 
Climax
Climax

mspamelablythe wrote:
I thought this was an oyster blog.

I have really got to slow down and read.

A little detour is always fun... wouldn't be the first time got off subject. Drakes Bay Oyster Co. and these were the small size....
Sorry...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:39 am 
Climax
Climax

Wash those down with a ice cold beer. Looks fabulous....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:43 am 
Climax
Climax

Location: Hidden Valley St Louis, MO- 310 really BIG vertical ft
Trivia time...
Anyone know where the Eagle Lodge "tent" came from?

No fair Googling.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:06 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Barnum and Bailey? :D

www.mammothmuseum.org