Forums
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Snow Conditions Winter 17/18
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:38 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

mtbphoto wrote:
PE395 wrote:
The snow has been unreal this month, but the liftlines and management of said lines has been a completely infuriating shitshow. Oh, and I made a complete rookie error and rode into a bombhole yesterday so maybe I'm just bitter.

You think Saturdays liftlines were bad? Wait till the $599 season pass in a booming economy lift lines next year! Was said bombhole off the chair 9 traverse? that thing was huge!

It was right next to the exposed rocks at Dropout 2. Those bombholes are as big as hot tubs. :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:42 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

ocboarder wrote:
PE395 wrote:
The snow has been unreal this month, but the liftlines and management of said lines has been a completely infuriating shitshow. Oh, and I made a complete rookie error and rode into a bombhole yesterday so maybe I'm just bitter.

No one seems to know what alternate means... I've even seen a few altercations over it.

It's mind boggling

The alternating is a joke. Euro barge in full effect. Or worse, gapers not moving with the flow, bumbling with their sh*t in line, not quadding up, etc. But the really infuriating thing is standing in super long singles lines, and watching half full chairs going up the mountain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

How about full families quading up from the singles line? :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:44 am 
Rodger's Ridge

doconboards wrote:
Must've driven right by you SL, on our way out to Punta Bardini. Great day for a little tour. Snow was nice and fresh up top. Started down around noon, and the snow in the Tele bowls was getting a little thicker with the warming. But still an awesome untracked run top to bottom. Some scrambling around the manzanita brush on the way out. Hope the next storm isn't so warm that it washes out the exit.

Saturday was fun on the mountain. My one experience down at 2 was they had extra staff to manage the lines - have to admit didn't go back down there again just because I knew it was going to be crazy. Juevos stayed deep and soft x2 for me!

Nice, doconboards! I didn't get out to ski to the cabin until 1:00. I had a little run-in with a manzanita bush below breakable crust on my way in...the bush won...LOL! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:42 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

ocboarder wrote:
PE395 wrote:

No one seems to know what alternate means... I've even seen a few altercations over it.

It's mind boggling

If you spend anytime driving in the LA basin whether it be merging traffic or a four way stop it makes perfect sense what is going on in the lift lines.
The need to have video monitors on display at lift lines showing in slow motion a working zipper as opposed to a zipper with an extra tooth or two on one side.

On Saturday I was fortunate enough to be third in line on chair 9 but as I was waiting I took off my binding and was sitting on the snow when they abruptly opened the line. I was momentarily trampled as I tried to put my binding back on. I just grabbed my board and got through the gate in time to make the 6th chair. I was kind of pissed but I was still happy with my position and the anger dissipated before I even got on the lift. Besides I had to take some of the blame for dozing, in the end I ended up jumping past the same people as they dicked around at the top. What a great run. Just a one shot deal though, when I got to the bottom it was a mob scene, the single line was super long and the guy in front of me was complaining to the operators to get some order to the lines. Chairs were going up partially full and people were jumping into the singles line half the way up. Fortunately this only lasted for a couple of runs and then the line just disappeared. Ended up getting in another 8 runs in on some trackless wind crust. Not nearly as good as that first run but fun enough that I kept going even though my legs were cramping up. Great snow this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:23 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

PE395 wrote:
ocboarder wrote:
PE395 wrote:

It's mind boggling

The alternating is a joke. Euro barge in full effect. Or worse, gapers not moving with the flow, bumbling with their sh*t in line, not quadding up, etc. But the really infuriating thing is standing in super long singles lines, and watching half full chairs going up the mountain.

:D

Ain't that the truth, I experienced that for the first time when I was in the Alps a couple of years ago, it was summertime but it was the same sort of thing. We were waiting to take an elevator up to an observation tower (I think it was at the Aiguille du midi in Chamonix) and it was comical watching the people. The empty elevator would open up and a group of 30 people would rush the door trying to cram into an elevator that would hold 20 people. The people standing in front would get pushed in and pinned to the back and people would continue to try to squeeze in well after the thing was packed full. It was like fighting for position for a rebound in basketball, you had to use your body to hold your position while you were waiting the two minutes for the next car. Later that trip I was standing behind someone at a bar waiting to order some food. As soon as they got what they ordered someone stepped right in front of me to order. Not wanting to be an "ugly American" I said nothing and waited for them to get their chit and step aside. I then immediately stepped to the counter and waited patiently for the bartender who had turned away to do something else. While I'm waiting this guy literally wedges in front of me ( i had left a space of about a foot and a half), at that point I just figured "ugly American" be damned, When in Rome....! I got fairly good at being pushing by the end of the trip.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:36 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

PE395 wrote:
The alternating is a joke. Euro barge in full effect.
Taking this farther off-topic, feel free to move forward...
This reminds of leaving the parking lot at Irvine Meadows after a Grateful Dead show in the 80's. Some well-meaning soul decided to help direct traffic with the refrain - "Jerry says every other car". My wife and I find too many opportunities to quote the situation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:06 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Back on topic - I know Saturday was awesome, but Friday morning had some great lines too. It's probably my imagination, but the snow seemed lighter on Friday...
And Chair 14 on Saturday...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:50 am 
Climax
Climax

Grumpy wrote:
Is that grass fed beef?

Yes grass fed, nothing but the best Clark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:35 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Mammoth closed all lifts for the day at 1pm.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:27 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

3/22/18 Around noon - a natural wet slide on McGee Mountain. Photo from E.S. Avalanche Center.

Rain is turning back into snow now that the temps are dropping. I heard from a friend of a friend who tried skiing one run out of Canyon this morning that she couldn't even move downhill because the snow was so dense. She said it was kind of funny trying to watch other skiers try to "pow" ski in these conditions. It was a smart move to shut down the mountain today. According to the E.S. Avalanche Center, the avy danger is extreme.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:26 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

3/23/18 12:25 p.m. Just after 3 opened...Patrol is still blasting and the wind is still howling up there...WOW!

Last edited by Sierra Lady on Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:35 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I wonder what that line will look like tomorrow. :o

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:11 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

CalvaryMike wrote:
I wonder what that line will look like tomorrow. :o

Mammoth March Madness, like every Saturday this month.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:22 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

^ Projected occupancy is 90% for this weekend!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next