Forums
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Snow Conditions Winter 17/18
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:19 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I do remember Snowave, especially since he still posts on First Tracks occasionally. His home area is Wolf Creek, one of North America's elite snow stashes, but not so far this season.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:56 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Just finished a nice week warming the legs up on the groomers. Beautiful weather and surprisingly good snow out of Main Lodge. Backside was OK in the late afternoon - no one there and just a little firm up by the chair. Kudos to the guys setting up the Melt House for helping us out with a little water before they opened :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:09 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Had a great time at Night of Lights last night and then much better weather on the hill today. Crowds were gone and snow held up well all day with the cool, but much warmer than yesterday, temps. Considering how little snow has fallen so far this season coverage is good on most open runs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:14 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Transition day was yesterday so there may be a lot more folks on the slopes today for the first week of the two week influx of holiday guests.

Be careful around the thin runs on the Canyon side. Yesterday, forum member and MMSA Host Supervisor Slamski was skiing on Hully Gully off of Chair 8 (there are little tree tops sticking out of the snow), must have hooked a branch, fell so hard he broke his helmet and was passed out for a few minutes. Luckily, RBS was skiing right behind him and called Patrol. Fortunately no broken bones, but a concussion and he will be on desk duty for the next two weeks! :o

We've got a high wind warning up for Tuesday night into Wednesday with a little snow so be careful out there!

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:22 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Most people on a week day I have seen all Fallr. Ps the Holiday runs for 3 weeks anymore as a lot of schools do not get out till this Friday and they take the first week of January off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:54 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

I've been really surprised with the lack of crowds so far, though I'm sure change is imminent. Snowcreek was a ghost town when we pulled in last night, and we barely waited in a lift line all day. I snapped a pic at 2pm on the far bench at the top of 2, looking back at the lift, and other than my wife there was only one other person in the pic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:14 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

buggravy wrote:
I've been really surprised with the lack of crowds so far, though I'm sure change is imminent. Snowcreek was a ghost town when we pulled in last night, and we barely waited in a lift line all day. I snapped a pic at 2pm on the far bench at the top of 2, looking back at the lift, and other than my wife there was only one other person in the pic.

I found lift lines all day on 2, 3, and 1 but they were always reasonable. Just a little busy for a Monday. Hitting Vons tonight confirmed that the holiday crowds are here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:14 am 
Rodger's Ridge

buggravy wrote:

Wait until today. Many just drove up yesterday.

I went to Vons very early yesterday morning for that very reason. It's the last time I'll have to shop in there until after the new year. Heading to AZ to visit the family for a week leaving Thursday.

Don't forget to make all right-hand turns during the next 2-3 weeks...LOL! :D

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:02 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Sierra Lady wrote:
buggravy wrote:

Wait until today. Many just drove up yesterday.

I went to Vons very early yesterday morning for that very reason. It's the last time I'll have to shop in there until after the new year. Heading to AZ to visit the family for a week leaving Thursday.

Don't forget to make all right-hand turns during the next 2-3 weeks...LOL! :D

We're actually heading home today, which sounds like the right call. I generally find Mammoth over the holidays about as appealing as a swift kick in the shins, but watching cams and hearing reports over the weekend lured us up for a couple of days, and I'm glad it did. Sounds like we hit the sweet spot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:17 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

The mountain was absolute money on Sunday and Monday, especially yesterday afternoon when it was (unseasonably?) warm. I actually ended up shedding the jacket and just going with a t-shirt and sleeves.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:26 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

What a difference a day makes! Wind is really picking up and the upper half of the mountain is closed. Wind is stripping snow down to boilerplate in spots while others areas are benefitting from the wind. Lift lines are getting treacherous as are the exit ramps causing chairs to slow and stop.

Not a good setup going into the holidays.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:52 pm 
Climax
Climax

I take it one will not be alone....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:47 am 
Rodger's Ridge

^What did I tell ya'll! The hospital was very busy yesterday with ambulances and fire department rescue engines going up to the mountain and returning about once to twice an hour!

This time of year is always a good time to escape to warmer climates, but unfortunately, not less people in a big city. Leaving for AZ early tomorrow morning to visit my family for Christmas for a week.

Winds were expected to be so strong last night/early this morning that SCE put out an automated phone call to customers yesterday evening warning of possible forced power shutdowns for safety. The TOML even sent out a broadcast email about the SCE warning.The wind never seemed to get as bad as predicted, but it is rather windy this morning which brought in the expected fast-moving cold snow storm. Doesn't appear much will open on the hill this morning until this begins to pass.

Be careful out there!

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:27 am 
Climax
Climax

^^^I did see White Mountain Barcrofft area had 100 something sustained with 134 gusts. Feelin' it for those marmots. :P
Happy Travels!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:26 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

These number seem a bit low, guess without more snow that is what you get. Good I hate it when it's a total sell out.

Just went to Vons I guess everyone is on the hill the place was empty.

Merry Chirstmas

Spirit Tree wrote:
I take it one will not be alone....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next