Forums
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Snow Conditions Winter 17/18
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:11 pm 
Climax
Climax

onegoodturn wrote:
Never kept me from posting pictures kook.

Nice picture!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:40 pm 
Climax
Climax

Pressing buttons is hard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:04 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Sweet Jesus that's legit. Looking at it almost made me forget how quickly the snow is melting on the lower mountain here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:53 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Hard and fast up there. Yesterday a female skier hit a tree. Heard several calls of skier/snowboarder collisions. Starting this morning around 10:30 the hospital was already in triage-mode with several injury calls per hour. The call I'm listening to right now is skier vs skier at a high rate of speed. One of those skiers was knocked unconscious for more than 5 minutes but is now conscience, but combative with a bloody face with other injuries. Medics coming in Code 3 with that person.

http://thesheetnews.com/wp-content/uplo ... pdf#page=1
"When Skiers Collide"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:38 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Just about all lifts have shut down due to the wind (all lifts at JM are down, too). At least it will be cold enough in the distant future to blow a lot of snow!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:43 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Yesterday was a tad nippy. 4* at Stump at first chair, 17 mph wind= about -15* wind chill. Perfect dry light powder, but only about 2-3 inches at stump, not nearly enough to cover the wind scoured surface below. Dust on crust. Good pockets of powder to be found. The top popped about 11:30, but the snowfall was such that Patrol had the back of 3 opened all AM so of course the bottom half of lots or runs were tracked out by top opening. Even up top you would hit the firm bottoms.
Not crowded at all for Presidents day. Lots of dramatic skies, clouds, sun, low light, a nice
day overall. Conditions definitely firm & fast.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:22 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Brutal out there today. First chair at Stump turned about 20 minutes late. Wind chill had to be about -30* or so. Low light, howling winds, constant whiteouts, made it very scary
trying to ski as the lights kept going out & vertigo creeping in. Never in my life have I gone in to escape the conditions after only 2 runs, but today I did at the Mill. Went back out for another run after which they closed 2. Only some lifts at Canyon were running
which didn't seem like it would be worth the lift lines, so we bailed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:06 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Watched it snow out the window all morning. Finally jumped on the Green Line at 1:30. Storm was exceeding expectation with probably 5 to 8 inches on the ground and the wind was backing down some. Got over to chair 4 and dropped down to 21 for some bottomless basically untracked runs as it not a good run for snowboarders. Repeated then traversed under 22. The snow continued build . Overall a fun couple of hours with no people out. I bet there is a foot by tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:26 pm 
Climax
Climax

Any reports from today?

If you get caught driving too fast to Mammoth, check out this on-line Traffic School. It's funny, quick, and easy. If you copy the link we will each get a $2 rebate. Thanks. http://www.trafficinteractive.com/referral.asp#oid=1989_1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:13 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Got on it early. There was more than 12-14 in many places. First hiked into Avi 3 face shots all the way. 5 wasn't spinning for mechanical reasons. Hiked a high traverse into 5 = more untracked face shots. Back up chair 10 and could see 9 was spinning. Got to the bottom of 9 as the first peeps were unloading. I guess the chargers opened the gondola because not to many were traversing out on 9. Broke trail and Traversed out and it was more like 18- 24. Called it by noon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:24 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Generally calf deep everywhere we went. Got early chairs on 3, Gondi, 23. Best day of the season for us. Snow was light enough that it was still rideable after getting tracked a bit. They held the ropes on the back of 3 till the top went, which was nice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:41 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I lucked out and hit 23 just as it opened around 2:45 today. Looked great from the chair but what looked untracked was untrackable up top. Wind stripped for the first 100 ft or more. Then some really nice powder for maybe 60 or 70 ft before hitting all of the tracks from the high traverse. Still fun just not nearly as good as it looked from the chair. Hit bottom on deep carves with the light snow. Shouldn't be a problem by Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:55 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I finally got a chance to ski for a 1.5 hour session this morning after not being able to get on the hill since 1/30...nearly a month, but life issues and commitments bound me for a while. Needed the soul-care this morning and got it. Lapped Stump a few times, but as the wind picked up and high clouds began rolling in I wanted out of the wind. I headed over to my favorite runs off 12...Secret Spot, White Bark Ridge and Critters were all fantastic and hardly anyone was over there. Snow is crunchy cold and smooove! Nice protection from the wind.

Storm's a' brewin'! We'll see how it all pans out. :clap:

Last edited by Sierra Lady on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:04 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Really fun fast groomers today. Although the wind picked up it was never a problem. Very fun midwinter conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:51 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Looks crazy on the cams out there today. Have fun! Be safe. Hoping to be up there tomorrow - but I'm guessing that 395 is going to be R3 or worse tonight...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next