Forums
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Snow Conditions Winter 17/18
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:28 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Already a foot of fresh on Lincoln. :P :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:51 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Let's see how buried the Summit Sign gets

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:23 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Okay! Here it is at 5:30 on 3/1/18.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:27 am 
Rodger's Ridge

3/2/18 0700

HIGH avalanche danger is expected at all elevations today. Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended. Read more at:
http://esavalanche.org/content/avalanch ... mar-2-2018

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:23 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Wonder if there will still be Early Ups tomorrow. Maybe not early lift access, but breakfast still? I am hoping they postpone it . . . maybe to next Saturday?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:38 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I was just watching the live FB feed from MMR with Lauren Burke riding up on G1. She was answering questions and said Early Ups will go on as scheduled tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Sierra Lady wrote:
I was just watching the live FB feed from MMR with Lauren Burke riding up on G1. She was answering questions and said Early Ups will go on as scheduled tomorrow morning.

Thx. I started watching but then it froze and I got a phone call so I didn't get back to it to see it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:12 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Which lifts run for early ups? Can I start at 15 and get to breakfast, or do I need to start at Main?

Never mind! See it on the website.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:18 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Rather OT, but had to share. We borrowed this DVD on the 10th Mountain Division from a local friend and watched it this afternoon when we were done shoveling. It's an outstanding film and so worth watching. I already knew a lot about the 10th from years of reading my Skiing History magazines, but this gave me a whole new perspective. We all get to enjoy our snow sliding sports today mostly due to the visions of these men after the war.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:35 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

doconboards wrote:
Which lifts run for early ups? Can I start at 15 and get to breakfast, or do I need to start at Main?

Never mind! See it on the website.

If it's anything like this morning, the open lifts could be random. I imagine 2 and lower gondi at least to get to McCoy. Then you can do the 17/21 shuffle to get there from Canyon. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:00 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Sierra Lady wrote:
Rather OT, but had to share. We borrowed this DVD on the 10th Mountain Division from a local friend and watched it this afternoon when we were done shoveling. It's an outstanding film and so worth watching. I already knew a lot about the 10th from years of reading my Skiing History magazines, but this gave me a whole new perspective. We all get to enjoy our snow sliding sports today mostly due to the visions of these men after the war.

My Dad was in the 10th Mtn Division and my mom was a dental hygienist at Camp Hale during the war before she became a teacher. When I was in college in Colorado, we drove back to California and stopped by the site of Camp Hale. You could still see that the trunks of the trees were black from all the smoke from their fires, but the newer growth lower down wasn’t. That smoke made my dad so sick that he didn’t see action but his two best friends were in Italy and my Mom’s first husband went to the Aleutians and brought back body part souvenirs which is one reason they divorced right after the war (bet that part’s not in the movie). The training was grueling but they were exceptional mountain climbers and some could even ski.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:53 am 
Rodger's Ridge

^ That's a cool and unusual story, oldskier! My local friend who loaned us the DVD, her grandfather was in the 10th and she grew up around he and his 10th buddies and also has some neat stories. Such amazing and skilled outdoorsmen!

It's still snowing! Lots of traffic, accidents, spin-outs and vehicles stuck all over town and up and around all the lodges. CHP in town assisting the MLPD and Medics because they are all overwhelmed. Just another fine winter storm! :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:49 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Was pretty good today (until the avalanche). G1 opened around 750 for early ups - knee deep down Broadway, Gravy Chute and Andy's. Got over to the Bear and it was thigh deep. Got on Chair 10 and into Avi 3 and it was hip deep and face shots in there. Unreal.

Heard the avalanche took Climax to the ground. Wonder what that means for the rest of the upper mountain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:36 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Can we get an Early Ups food report up in here?

When there's powder out the ying yang obviously it'd be kinda silly to break for breakfast, but let's say you tend to telemark down groomers or something

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:43 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

doconboards wrote:
Was pretty good today (until the avalanche). G1 opened around 750 for early ups - knee deep down Broadway, Gravy Chute and Andy's. Got over to the Bear and it was thigh deep. Got on Chair 10 and into Avi 3 and it was hip deep and face shots in there. Unreal.

Heard the avalanche took Climax to the ground. Wonder what that means for the rest of the upper mountain...

After seeing the pic of chair 5 I don't doubt that it was a climax avalanche. Two days ago my buddy said that this reminded him of March 1986 when Drop Out slid and left a 15' crown. He was hoping we wouldn't have a repeat of that. After boarding the top on Tue and Wed I was very concerned about the extreme avalanche danger since the new snow early in the week didn't stick at all. It seemed ripe for big slides.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next