Forums
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Snow Conditions Winter 17/18
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:33 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

That was mid February 1986 not March and that snow was Sierra Cement, I was here for that storm and the powder was so heavy it was hard to move. The snow the last few days was more like Alta Powder. Saturday was the best powder I have had in 30 years here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:42 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

mammothsnowman wrote:
That was mid February 1986 not March and that snow was Sierra Cement, I was here for that storm and the powder was so heavy it was hard to move. The snow the last few days was more like Alta Powder. Saturday was the best powder I have had in 30 years here.

You're right it was Feb 21 1986. He was off by a week or so.

I suppose the lesson here is that it doesn't matter if it's heavy Sierra Cement or Champagne Powder they both will slide when conditions are ripe.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:03 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

When you have a drought, then pent up demand, then the best snow in years that was well advertised , and the previous days lift tickets are good for the next day, this is what you get -

Chair 23 - 3-4-2018
(I wish I was there).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:21 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
mammothsnowman wrote:

You're right it was Feb 21 1986. He was off by a week or so.

I suppose the lesson here is that it doesn't matter if it's heavy Sierra Cement or Champagne Powder they both will slide when conditions are ripe.

Aka heavily wind affected as Mammoth is.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:37 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Sure looked good for the kooks that waited a couple of hours for 23 to open.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:25 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

CyberK wrote:
When you have a drought, then pent up demand, then the best snow in years that was well advertised , and the previous days lift tickets are good for the next day, this is what you get -

Chair 23 - 3-4-2018
(I wish I was there).

Best day ever started with this text message thread.

I felt more giddy than a kid on Christmas day. I think the the crowds were far bigger than a Christmas day crowd. Heard the lines down at 15 were 45 minutes long...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:35 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I think I like Mary. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:50 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Sunday Morning at 25 was the longest I have ever seen. EVER. However, after 12:30 things seem to go back to normal, which made the opening of chair 9 just that more epic.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

doconboards wrote:
CyberK wrote:

Chair 23 - 3-4-2018
(I wish I was there).

I felt more giddy than a kid on Christmas day. I think the the crowds were far bigger than a Christmas day crowd. Heard the lines down at 15 were 45 minutes long...

I don't think I have skin thick enough to cut in front of all of those people using a Black pass.

To each his own...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:27 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

boarddad wrote:
doconboards wrote:
CyberK wrote:

Chair 23 - 3-4-2018
(I wish I was there).

I don't think I have skin thick enough to cut in front of all of those people using a Black pass.

To each his own...

I hear ya. FWIW, we got to main at 630am, was 3rd in line at Chair 1 at 7:45am, waited for about 2 hours for chair 3 to open without flashing the pass, and waited for about 45min at G2 for it to open as well. If someone offered me a pass yesterday, I certainly wasn't going to turn it down...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:57 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

FreshPow wrote:
Sunday Morning at 25 was the longest I have ever seen. EVER. However, after 12:30 things seem to go back to normal, which made the opening of chair 9 just that more epic.

wow 25 had a line?!?!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:17 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

mammothsnowman wrote:

I got up late Saturday and was just heading up the mountain when I got word of the Avalanche so I got stopped before I got tied up in that mess, Sunday I was scared off by the crowds and I felt pretty good about making the call to not go out.
But after reading your post I can't help but feel like I missed out on something epic.
I hope you got in some good runs before they shut it all down on you.
I haven't looked at your site yet, hopefully you got pics and video.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:22 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

doconboards wrote:
boarddad wrote:
doconboards wrote:
CyberK wrote:

Chair 23 - 3-4-2018
(I wish I was there).

To each his own...

I hear ya. FWIW, we got to main at 630am, was 3rd in line at Chair 1 at 7:45am, waited for about 2 hours for chair 3 to open without flashing the pass, and waited for about 45min at G2 for it to open as well. If someone offered me a pass yesterday, I certainly wasn't going to turn it down...

I hate the whole concept of the Black pass, it is just so offensive to me and I wish they would do away with it, But yeah, if someone offered a pass to me and said I could cut the lines, well I guess I'm a hypocrite because I would jump at it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:12 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

longlivechair19 wrote:
FreshPow wrote:

wow 25 had a line?!?!

A 30-40 minute line. No joke.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

FreshPow wrote:
longlivechair19 wrote:
FreshPow wrote:

wow 25 had a line?!?!

A 30-40 minute line. No joke.

and then the slowest most painful lift ride in the united states, 12 minutes of absolute hell

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next