Forums
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next

Uploading's begun and we luv da mosaic at MidChalet! Will your Ikon Pass have the ShiftyRider photo?
Of course!  29%  [ 2 ]
I would if I thought I could get away with it  29%  [ 2 ]
I hate ShiftyRider  43%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Re: I.K.O.N.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:55 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

If the Mammoth version of any pass has blackout dates that's going to be a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

ShiftyRider wrote:
They don't divert, they continue to the next stop. There was a thread on here years ago -- some poor schlub was gonna propose atop Mammoth and to do it in style the plan included flyng her up from LAX. They flew over Mammoth in the morning but couldn't land so they continued to San Jose. These two were all "WTF? What do we do now?" and the airline said don't worry it happens all the time, just wait here for several hours cuz we got a scheduled flight to Mammoth from here! You guessed it, that flight couldn't land at Mammoth either so it just continued to its next stop -- LAX.

So the plan is to use Bishop if the weather's too bad in Mammoth. The obstacle is FAA certification, so that will have to happen first. But once it's certified many other possibilities open up, foremost the larger planes that are absolutely necessary to the original air service goal -- nonstops from hubs like Chicago or Dallas. (The truth is stranger than fiction: the hangars at Mammoth were built too close to the freaking runway for anything larger than the 90-some-foot wingspan of the Q400 propeller planes)

Lots of information on progress at the Bishop airport here... http://www.sierrawave.net/inyo-county-c ... p-airport/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:15 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Quote:
Also required in order to accept commercial aircraft is a letter of interest from an airline, which Inyo County received from Allegiant Air earlier this year. In its February 2017 letter, the airline stated it has the resources to connect service with a 156-seat A319 two times a week, initially, from Metropolitan Oakland International Airport, LAX, and Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, contingent on Bishop Airport meeting the airline’s needs as well as state and federal regulations.

Oh, that's not good. Have you ever flown with Allegiant? I call it the "Ala Carte" airline because EVERYTHING is extra and almost nothing is included in the stated fare (booking tickets, choosing your seat, baggage (both carry on and checked), food, drinks, blankets - ALL extra). My wife calls it the "Leisure" airline, because you need to be on vacation with a VERY flexible schedule in order to account for the wildly varying flight times. True story; we flew Allegiant from Grand Junction to LAX one time on New Year's day. The flight was the first of the day and the plane was at the gate when we got there. We took off hours late because (I kid you not), they could not find the pilot or one of the stewardesses. Strange how they found the two of them at the same time when they finally did arrive :o Happy New Year indeed!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:14 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

boarddad wrote:
Grumpy wrote:
therealme wrote:
It's looking like Bishop Airport is going to be more of a player, making air service easier.

PE395 wrote:

Details?

Because Rusty wants out of the TBID

It's a little late for that, isn't it?
Of course if Rusty has found a way to get out of the lousy deal he has now, more power to him - Bishop is really not such a bad option.

It is up for renewal soon and it was his deal to start with. Look at the Hart and Howerton Consulting proposal for how town should be. That will give you a little insight of how and why things are going where they are. Mammoth is done.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:42 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

A couple of articles in The Sheet show that Mammoth Mountain wants to move air service to Bishop. They will not support renewal of the TBID unless money goes to help support the air service move.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:33 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Wait until the prices and options come out for the PASS. It is not going to be a good deal for anyone who lives here or that only wants to ski Mammoth. There will be a few tiers with lots of blackout dates and a very expensive all inclusive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:11 am 
Rodger's Ridge

^ If that is the case, I will probably be out for good. :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:15 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

If its above $1,000 and it includes multiple black out dates, I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:01 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Grumpy wrote:
Wait until the prices and options come out for the PASS. It is not going to be a good deal for anyone who lives here or that only wants to ski Mammoth. There will be a few tiers with lots of blackout dates and a very expensive all inclusive.

How could you possibly know that?

Sounds like typical Mammoth doom and gloom.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:04 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Was on the phone with Mountain Collective this morning and asked if they were changing anything for 2018 with this IKON pass coming out - she said that Mountain Collective will be back (early March sale) and stronger than ever. So there's that, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:46 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Bottom Line -IKON will need to compete with EPIC and this isn’t a great season to build the price on. Best snow this year is in Montana, not Colorado, Utah, or California and people from California are not going to travel to the East Coast for snow. So the IKON resorts aren’t working off a good year except for Big Sky. As it is, more people are gravitating to less expensive sports. Friends every year that were excellent skiers are giving it up, and not because of health or injury. Mostly due to hassle, expense, and other sport options.

I’m trying to make the senior pass in a few years but if I get seriously hurt in a collision, I will join them - I’ve been taken out three times by a snowboarder from behind in the last ten years and very lucky each time although one left me pretty bruised when my back fell onto his board. Many close misses from skiers too - makes an old lady rethink her priorities. And I already avoid weekends/crowds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

IKON is clogging my Instagram feed with posts, and every one has multiple comments asking for details. I think their target market is already weary of the hype and wants to know what it's going to cost. I know I do.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:44 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

oldskier wrote:
Bottom Line -IKON will need to compete with EPIC and this isn’t a great season to build the price on. Best snow this year is in Montana, not Colorado, Utah, or California and people from California are not going to travel to the East Coast for snow. So the IKON resorts aren’t working off a good year except for Big Sky. As it is, more people are gravitating to less expensive sports. Friends every year that were excellent skiers are giving it up, and not because of health or injury. Mostly due to hassle, expense, and other sport options.

I’m trying to make the senior pass in a few years but if I get seriously hurt in a collision, I will join them - I’ve been taken out three times by a snowboarder from behind in the last ten years and very lucky each time although one left me pretty bruised when my back fell onto his board. Many close misses from skiers too - makes an old lady rethink her priorities. And I already avoid weekends/crowds.

^ I'm with you, oldskier! ;)

Airports get spotlight from ESCOG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Alright, I like this...

about $250 more than what I paid for my California Pass renewal, 10 "BAF" (though its only 25% now), and they've added unlimited riding to a bunch of resorts that I actually might try out.

I'm in

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:03 am 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Just reviewed the price lines for the IKON Pass. Really sad to see that no senior discount pass will be available and the $599 pass allows only five days at Mammoth! It is quite a financial jump for me to swallow the new $899 cost of an unlimited pass to Mammoth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next