Forums
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Uploading's begun and we luv da mosaic at MidChalet! Will your Ikon Pass have the ShiftyRider photo?
Of course!  29%  [ 2 ]
I would if I thought I could get away with it  29%  [ 2 ]
I hate ShiftyRider  43%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Re: I.K.O.N.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:48 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 6Bji02hpsU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:16 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

buggravy wrote:

Stoked on this. Jeremy is a legendary rider, designs great boards and is putting his name and career out there with POW. I've seen the denier heat he takes on his social media posts. I met him earlier in the season at a video premier and got to chat a bit. Super sincere guy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:37 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

"Protect Our Winters" is such a joke. If you're serious about climate change then you should stop skiing and snowboarding. Nothing about it is "green".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:43 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I don't think any group that tries to raise awareness about human induced climate change and things that can be done to help mitigate it is a joke. Thank you IKON for supporting and partnering with POW.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:23 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Sorry but I disagree. The idea that we need to reduce carbon emissions so we can continue to ski and snowboard certainly is a joke and hypocrisy too.

Post subject: I.K.O.N.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:04 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

There will one day be a zero-emission ski area.

Also if you look at all the families who might buy Ikon passes, they're likely doing ski vacations more, and beach or Disney vacations less. For the latter (except for us lucky SoCalers) most families would have to fly, whereas a ski vacation can be in their zero-emission car.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:26 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
"Protect Our Winters" is such a joke. If you're serious about climate change then you should stop skiing and snowboarding. Nothing about it is "green".

I hate to jump into this discussion because every time I do people accuse me of being "a denier" (which in itself is a totally manipulative, cheap and deceptive tactic) but I would tend to agree with you. It seems to me that the people most vocal and concerned about climate change also have the largest carbon foot prints. It's as if they don't understand the very thing they are up in arms about. It's like having a vegan complaining about how horrible and cruel the meat industry is while they're munching down a Quarter Pounder from McDonalds, "but I like the taste of these". The one that really upsets me the most is the Media, they probably are responsible for the largest carbon foot print by far . After all, their income and fortunes are totally based on their ability to convince people to consume, consume, consume. It's called advertising, if they can't get you to buy and consume things they don't make a dime. "Show that you are doing your part to fight Climate Change, go out and buy the latest electric vehicle every few years" There is no thought about the amount of energy consumed to produce that "clean" vehicle or that the electricity used to power it is probably produced in a coal burning plant. I would bet that the guy driving his old gas guzzling SUV for 20 years has a much smaller carbon impact than the guy that drives and buys a new all electric vehicle every 5 years. If people are really concerned about and want to reduce their personal impact on the carbon levels in the atmosphere then they need to stop buying crap whether that crap happens to be "green" or not. Live off the grid in a tiny little shack like the Unabomber or someone in a third world country if you want to do your part. (I would imagine that there is a direct correlation between the amount of money someone makes and the size of their carbon foot print) And by all means you shouldn't be taking chairlifts up a mountain all for the sake of some frivolous entertainment if you are concerned. You want to ski "green" then ride your bike to the mountain and hike it up. Oh and you better be wearing some ski outfit from the 80's or 90's because nothing comes close to the wastefulness of the fashion industry. (No self respecting activist would dare be caught dead wearing something that was considered out of fashion. "I don't care if it's still got the tags on it, that is so last year, throw it in the trash") My rant is starting to go astray so I will try to wrap it up by saying I believe "Climate Change" is a very viable theory and I am concerned and troubled by it. I would love to see efforts made to change the way we produce and consume energy and I am all for the reduction of waste of all kinds. I would love to see humans reduce their impact on the environment and I am all for any effort to do that. I totally believe education and awareness is a big part of the answer. My problem arises from the constant hypocrisy and bs claims that are made all in the name of science. Starting with the claim that something is a "scientific fact" and if you dispute anything I say you are a "denier" of the facts. Anyone that claims something is a "Scientific fact" right away discredits themselves (at least in my mind) and obviously has a poor understanding of the scientific method. I don't know where I was really going with this rant (obviously a slow day at work) but I guess I just wanted to agree with SNS in recognizing the hypocrisy in IKON or even POW for that matter saying they want to stop people from dumping excess CO2 into the atmosphere. (People don't have a problem recognizing the hypocrisy when big game hunters claim their permit money goes towards preserving a certain species of animal that they like to shot for sole purpose of entertainment).
I'm done, I have to go take my meds now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:56 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

ShiftyRider wrote:

Also if you look at all the families who might buy Ikon passes, they're likely doing ski vacations more, and beach or Disney vacations less. For the latter (except for us lucky SoCalers) most families would have to fly, whereas a ski vacation can be in their zero-emission car.

Unsupported by evidence.

Do you think most tourists drive to Vail? Whistler? Heavenly?

Even if everyone driving to Mammoth did so in an electric car (I can only imagine the wait times at the nearest Supercharger Station on a Friday night!) they're going to the mountains where it's cold and requires heat. In Mammoth that generally means a propane furnace. Staying home in Redondo Beach would certainly emit less co2. Then you have the energy used to groom those perfect runs and build those gnarly jumps. That's not even considering the energy needed to keep the lifts spinning.

Maybe someday the ski industry will be green. Maybe not. But if you believe that climate change is a serious threat and that we need to drastically reduce co2 emissions then you should probably not participate in skiing/snowboarding.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:46 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

PE395 wrote:
buggravy wrote:

Stoked on this. Jeremy is a legendary rider, designs great boards and is putting his name and career out there with POW. I've seen the denier heat he takes on his social media posts. I met him earlier in the season at a video premier and got to chat a bit. Super sincere guy.

That's awesome. So I assume that means he will be dropping all of his endorsement contracts (since advertising is just the act of convincing people to consume more and more which in turn results in more CO2 dumped into the air) and quitting the sport (since he has already burned an incredible amount of carbon in his pursuit of the hobby and in making his fortune) I guess he came to the realization that he has a carbon foot print that dwarfs the average Joe. Glad to see that he is so concerned that he is going to stop being a big part of the problem.
(I'm sure he is a super nice guy and I have nothing against him, I just think he is in complete denial as are a lot of other well meaning people)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:53 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Classic nirvana fallacy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:08 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Some serious thread-drift here...

The answer to climate change is not more expensive gas. In fact, it is incredibly narcissistic to think that anything we do in California will have any effect. We are just too small of a blip in the grand scheme of things.
ShiftyRider wrote:

The key word here is "can" - and then not really. Even in a Tesla you would have to stop and re-charge the thing. I drive a Volt because California has decided I can drive in the carpool lane if I do. As soon as they end the carpool sticker program I will be back to driving my Subaru, just like all of the Prius drivers did. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Carpooling does not work - ever. Never has, never will. If you really want to make the freeways more efficient you would take a sandblaster to the diamonds and open the lanes up to everyone. They keep the diamonds on the lanes so they can be "managed lanes", and eventually be able to charge you to use them. It's a money grab and nothing more.

Nobody is going to ride their bike to work unless they only live a couple of miles from work (and in So Cal that is an insignificant percentage). Busses suck, train routes are driven by politics so are worthless to just about everyone. There is some real promise to driverless cars but the media makes a big stink every time a Tesla is in a fender-bender but not so when Joe six-pack gets all liquored up and causes a Sig Alert - and that happens a lot more often.

If you want to ski, go ahead, but it is not "green". Then again (see above), the impact you have is not nearly enough to effect climate change.

Sorry to break it to you. Go pick up trash at the beach or something - it will make you feel better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:03 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
ShiftyRider wrote:

Unsupported by evidence.

Do you think most tourists drive to Vail? Whistler? Heavenly?

Even if everyone driving to Mammoth did so in an electric car (I can only imagine the wait times at the nearest Supercharger Station on a Friday night!) they're going to the mountains where it's cold and requires heat. In Mammoth that generally means a propane furnace. Staying home in Redondo Beach would certainly emit less co2. Then you have the energy used to groom those perfect runs and build those gnarly jumps. That's not even considering the energy needed to keep the lifts spinning.

Maybe someday the ski industry will be green. Maybe not. But if you believe that climate change is a serious threat and that we need to drastically reduce co2 emissions then you should probably not participate in skiing/snowboarding.

Simple. We drive Jay Leno steam-powered cars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:00 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Binary thinking is fun, because you barely have to think.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:30 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
But if you believe that climate change is a serious threat and that we need to drastically reduce co2 emissions then you should

...stop pooping and popping out kids. Its so simple to me.

(Take up xc skiing kids! Propel yourself!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:19 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

snowhottie wrote:

...stop pooping and popping out kids. Its so simple to me.

Wow, the solution to so many problems.
Short, sweet and eloquently spoken.
That should be the motto for the human race.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next