Forums
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Uploading's begun and we luv da mosaic at MidChalet! Will your Ikon Pass have the ShiftyRider photo?
Of course!  29%  [ 2 ]
I would if I thought I could get away with it  29%  [ 2 ]
I hate ShiftyRider  43%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Re: I.K.O.N.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:42 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

PE395 wrote:
If you have a place to stay in Mammoth, either owning or through friends, there isn't much upside to this. Pay more, get less. Ugh.

We have a small place in Mammoth on the Snowcreek vacation rentals program. It's a long shot, but I'm thinking of the opportunities to swap my Mammoth condo with someone with a vacation rental property in one of the other IKON resort areas. Pick a week in my place and I'll pick a week in your place (and we'll let the rental agencies handle the details). A free place to stay with a season pass - that would be most awesome - Alta, Snowbird, Jackson, Aspen, Steamboat, Big Sky, Deer Valley, Squaw...

Post subject: I.K.O.N.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:55 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

One of their decision points will involve the 2% TBID fwiw. If whatever this is just bundles Mammoth equally with, say, Squaw/Alpine then folks who'd prefer to just ski Mammoth would still buy it from the (Squaw?) non-Mammoth website unless they confuse charitable donations with scams for air service and stuff...

How would MMSA pull that off? I believe when folks were ponying up last spring, if ya totaled it all up there was some $3-400,000 worth of TBID free money for Horizon Airlines which they might be kinda ticked to not have any more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:45 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Crickets up in here.

Anyway I've re-evaluated this cuz originally I thought it was significant that they said "the Cali4nia Pass will not be available for winter 2018/2019". So now I think the Cali4nia Pass had to go no matter what.

See, if there's an inexpensive pass it still needs to include at minimum one day at the passholder's choice of ANY of the Ikon ski areas (along with lotsa days at say Mammoth/June/SS/Bear). Well, it'd be silly to still call it the Cali4nia Pass -- they want folks to think they might go to Aspen even if the likelihood is low.

I predict there will be an inexpensive pass.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:14 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Give us a Mammoth pass that does not have black out dates...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:07 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

ShiftyRider wrote:

If Alterra looks at Vail Resorts' Epic Pass for guidance, there are a lot of discounted options, but they all include either black-out dates or ten-day use max at some of the Vail Resorts - the Epic Local Pass, Epic Local College Pass, Tahoe Local Pass, Tahoe Value Pass, Summit Value Pass, Keystone/A-Basin Pass. They all have some combination of blackout dates and max (10-day) use at select resorts. My son's Epic Local College Pass gives him unlimited use with no blackouts at some resorts (Breckenridge, A-Basin, Keystone), blackout days at some resorts (the Tahoe resorts), and 10-day max usage with blackouts at some resorts (Vail, Beaver Creek, and Whistler).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:08 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Given the difficulty in reaching Mammoth if not driving from SoCal (Just had friends have a flight cancelled due to weather, again.) I have to believe that raising the cost for past and current Mammoth passholders will scare off more current skiers/riders than it will attract from elsewhere.

Just seems like for retention alone they'd have a parity product to Cali4nia.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:43 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

therealme wrote:
It's looking like Bishop Airport is going to be more of a player, making air service easier.

Details?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:59 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I know they've been trying to get certified for commercial aircraft, but I haven't heard where they stand on this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:35 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

therealme wrote:
It's looking like Bishop Airport is going to be more of a player, making air service easier.

PE395 wrote:

Details?

Because Rusty wants out of the TBID

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:04 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Grumpy wrote:
therealme wrote:

PE395 wrote:

Details?

Because Rusty wants out of the TBID

It's a little late for that, isn't it?

If MMSA was really environmentally friendly the majority of visitors would be staying in Bishop and shuttling up to the ski area each day like they do in Banff.

I'm thinking what all this really is, is an alternate for when the Mammoth airport is shut down due to weather. Don't they divert to Reno now? that's not very convenient. Of course if Rusty has found a way to get out of the lousy deal he has now, more power to him - Bishop is really not such a bad option.

Post subject: I.K.O.N.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:12 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

They don't divert, they continue to the next stop. There was a thread on here years ago -- some poor schlub was gonna propose atop Mammoth and to do it in style the plan included flyng her up from LAX. They flew over Mammoth in the morning but couldn't land so they continued to San Jose. These two were all "WTF? What do we do now?" and the airline said don't worry it happens all the time, just wait here for several hours cuz we got a scheduled flight to Mammoth from here! You guessed it, that flight couldn't land at Mammoth either so it just continued to its next stop -- LAX.

So the plan is to use Bishop if the weather's too bad in Mammoth. The obstacle is FAA certification, so that will have to happen first. But once it's certified many other possibilities open up, foremost the larger planes that are absolutely necessary to the original air service goal -- nonstops from hubs like Chicago or Dallas. (The truth is stranger than fiction: the hangars at Mammoth were built too close to the freaking runway for anything larger than the 90-some-foot wingspan of the Q400 propeller planes)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:24 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Does Bishop have enough car rentals/taxis to handle daily commercial flights?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:29 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Ummm, what do you think the huge sign's gonna look like, for ShiftyRider Rent-A-Bus Inc...Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:56 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

This is the first season pass that may work for us with the Big Bear - Mammoth - Tahoe connection. At $900 for minimal to no Blackout dates it'll still be a push. :?:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:35 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

mirrorball wrote:
ShiftyRider wrote:

If Alterra looks at Vail Resorts' Epic Pass for guidance, there are a lot of discounted options, but they all include either black-out dates or ten-day use max at some of the Vail Resorts - the Epic Local Pass, Epic Local College Pass, Tahoe Local Pass, Tahoe Value Pass, Summit Value Pass, Keystone/A-Basin Pass. They all have some combination of blackout dates and max (10-day) use at select resorts. My son's Epic Local College Pass gives him unlimited use with no blackouts at some resorts (Breckenridge, A-Basin, Keystone), blackout days at some resorts (the Tahoe resorts), and 10-day max usage with blackouts at some resorts (Vail, Beaver Creek, and Whistler).

mirrorball, I think you are in the ballpark...10 days at Mammoth would be a winner for me. Riding the lifts at Alpine yesterday, there was lots of talk of Mammoth by my fellow chair mates. All were in favor of added days at Mammoth.

I am even considering upping my Tahoe Value pass to the full on "Epic" pass. Trying to consolidate season passes....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next