Forums
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:40 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Brodie wrote:

That's the wife picking up after you, not a bird.

Hmmm, my wife is a bird.

Post subject: Re: Props to Chair 10 Liftie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:11 pm 
Climax
Climax

I think they smell good when you grind em in your garbage disposal (edit: ORANGE PEELS not BIRDS), so of course I'd never discard them in a lift line. :angel:

Still, it's kinda hard to conjure up much indignation over an orange peel. I don't think Dreamworks is making a storyboard just yet.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:16 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

ShiftyRider wrote:
One of the reasons the birds are so into picking up orange peels is cuz all the worms have already been taken, and dumped into the water by fisherman. Yer trails need more fisherman on them, or lifties...

HA HA-- wow thats some deep thinking -- better slow down

and go do a few runs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:37 pm 
Climax
Climax

Mick wrote:
http://www.biocycle.co.uk/talking_rubbish_landfill_directive.php

Quote:
As an indication, below are some commonly used products and the average length of time they take to biodegrade:

Cotton Rag 1 - 5 months
Paper 2 - 5 months
Orange Peel 6 months
Cigarette butts 1 - 12 months
Plastic coated paper milk cartons 5 years
Leather Shoes 25 - 40 years
Aluminium Cans 80 - 100 years
Plastic 6 pack can ring holder 450 years
Glass bottles 1 million years
Plastic bottles Forever

Sure, it's biodegradable, but it's still litter. Trail maps biodegrade quicker.

At Mammoth, these times are probably way too short. They're probably calculated for a mild, wet climate. At Mammoth, something thrown on a run spends about half the year frozen in the snow pack, were it doesn't biodegrade. Once the snow melts off, the trash dries out for nearly all of the summer. The altitude also slows the process. All told, there's probably only 1-2 months a year of good biodegrading weather.

"Fishing season starts soon and the ice should be gone and the snow should recede. If it hasn’t, just go skiing." - Dave McCoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:13 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

squid wrote:
I'm not seeing any orange peels in there Shifty.

Those poor little birds will die an early death from second hand smoke...

You must have grown up in the no winners no losers generation where everyone gets a participation trophy and a pat on the butt for just showing up with their clothes on right side out

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:16 pm 
Climax
Climax

ya BEAT me to *that* one cruzer :D :rock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:29 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Jbaysurfer wrote:
I think they smell good when you grind em in your garbage disposal (edit: ORANGE PEELS not BIRDS), so of course I'd never discard them in a lift line. :angel:

Still, it's kinda hard to conjure up much indignation over an orange peel. I don't think Dreamworks is making a storyboard just yet.

Um - that is not really a good idea either. Anyone who works in water management would beg you to put your waste vegetables in with the yard waste so it could be properly composted and reused. When it goes in the sewer it mixes with the other stuff in sewers and needs to be treated and removed before the water can be pumped back into the groundwater or dumped wherever.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:27 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Pnski wrote:
Skied a few days last week. Was lining up around 8:20 at Chr. 10, with a group of 3 others. Next thing I know the liftie is bringing over his shovel with a pile of snow in it and a piece of orange (the fruit) debris on top. He says to the guy in front of me...did you just throw this? Guy in front of me cops to it and the liftie tells him there is a trash can he can go put it in. Guy takes it and puts it in the trash. Well, that was that, no way he was going to open up early (as 2 was already taking riders). Headed over to 2....when we made it back to 10 a bit later told the liftie how well he handled it! Please don't trash the mountain. Was glad to see him hold this guy accountable. Props :clap:

Bottom Line: Don't be a jerk on the slopes. The same guy tossing orange peels is the same guy throwing F-Bombs in front of the grommets, complaining about closed lifts...and driving slow in the fast lane on the 395! Peace, love, and eternal grooviness folks. Respect the mountain and it will return the favor! (Woh, groovy man!) ;)

Desmond Tutu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:37 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

cheapski wrote:
"Eye em lookink for a worm, or an orange peel" ;)

I'm a Chicken-Hawk, and I'm gonna eat me some chickens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Quote:
The same guy tossing orange peels is the same guy throwing F-Bombs in front of the grommets, complaining about closed lifts...and driving slow in the fast lane on the 395!

Not quite. I do however scream at the NFL Network, walk up and strap in next to closed top lift shacks, and drive in the oncoming lane now and then. You should, too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:56 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Twenty years from now, you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:35 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

It's obvious the liftie knew dried orange peels make excellent fire starters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:20 pm 
Climax
Climax

Skien wrote:
Jbaysurfer wrote:

Um - that is not really a good idea either. Anyone who works in water management would beg you to put your waste vegetables in with the yard waste so it could be properly composted and reused. When it goes in the sewer it mixes with the other stuff in sewers and needs to be treated and removed before the water can be pumped back into the groundwater or dumped wherever.

Classic.

I usually just put a tiny sliver of peel in there to keep it smelling fresh. But I can see I'm already in trouble with you for even owning a disposal.

I think I'll probably stop exhaling too now that I think of it.

The smug is coming to Mammoth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:13 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Just trying to bring awareness to something many don't have a clue about. It may be better cosmetically to get rid of garbage in the disposal, but environmentally friendly it is not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next