Forums
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Cyclist's Thread!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:36 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Going deep inside the Kremlin ... KGB-plotting with Vladimir Puntang..
Biker395 wrote:
MountainNut wrote:
Good luck on the mini-RAAM here in the West.

Riding all day and nite is too much for me. I don't like sleep deprivation if I can help it. 200-300 miles a day would be enough for my legs!

But do admire the RAAM guys n gals though, for their tenacity, determination, and will-power to keep going under the adverse conditions they willingly persevere thru heading across the continent.

Anyone remember guys like Lon Haldeman and the Penseyres brothers from the 1980s RAAM races?

I'm excited not only for the race itself, but for some of the territory we'll be riding through. I love, love, love Monument Valley and the plateau.

Other news: The new 508 route has been announced. Our wonderful National Park Service has seen fit to cancel all organized cycling events through Death Valley while they take their time conducting a safety review (despite a spotless safety record for 30 years :@ ), so another route had to be found.

And here it is ... the Silver State 508 ... from Reno to Eureka and back.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/484768598

Sounds to me like someone within the NPS is concerned about potential (NPS-) legal liability, should a cyclist ever get injured (or worse) while participating in that 508 or any other ride within (any) National Park boundaries..

Someone hit me and got away! So I'm (instead) suing the US NPS!

Have fun on the ride out to Eureka. Not DV, but probably windy as well (and less scenic).

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:26 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Biker395 wrote:
MountainNut wrote:
TheSnowman wrote:
Uptown is clear to the garage and then snowed in just past that point. First ride in the dirt this year... slow and fat and got passed.

Sometimes we simply gotta go back to humble early-season beginnings or back to a gradual-build-up sorta base-period (for one reason or another).

I was in the same boat a few days ago, when I had only cycled for 20 minutes over a 3 week period. Yikes!

Talk about getting passed..

Now finally getting back into the whole grind-it-out, and back into that sustained hours-on pedaling-groove now, tho. Up to 48 centuries so far and need to complete 52 more by Memorial Day 2015 (just a random set-date there, heh..)??? (Rode 302 WINDY km today, so I'm tired.)

Anyone going to any of the upcoming/May Amgen ToC races?

Century rides? Doubles? Double Metrics? Gran Fondos?

You're not going to believe this, but I'll likely be doing the RAW (Ride Across the West) in June. That is essentially a shortened version of the Ride Across America (RAAM). It's only about 800 miles and we'll be doing it with a team of 4 riders, so it's nothing like doing it solo.

And that's a good thing. I've been off the bike for 3 weeks and will have to stay off of it until May, so I wont have much time to train. That has left me feeling like this guy:

I'll also be doing the Eastern Sierra Double and the 508 on a 2 person team this year. And hopefully, another leg of my X country tour ... from Northfield to Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan.

Hey Biker,

I ran into Teresa at Onyx Summit during Breathless Agony this weekend. Good luck recuperating and training. You're nuts. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:50 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

doconboards wrote:

Hey Biker,

I ran into Teresa at Onyx Summit during Breathless Agony this weekend. Good luck recuperating and training. You're nuts. :)

Lol. I used to think that. But check this out.

That guy that was the grim reaper on the top of Onyx Sumit? That was Steve. He rides a lot of doubles with Teresa on a tandem. He's completed about 120 official doubles, and countless unofficial ones. And check this out ... you know how he got to Onyx Summit? He rode is bike from the west San Fernando Valley, up and over Angeles Crest to Wrightwood, over and up to Lake Arrowhead, and around Big Bear. 160 miles and who knows how much climbing. An Sunday, he did the same thing riding home. :o

Or this. I did the High Sierra Fall Century a couple of years ago, and one of my buds brought a friend with him to do the ride with us. He read my 2009 Furnace Creek 508 story, and was inspired to ride long distances himself.

He did about 10 doubles last year and the Furnace Creek 508 solo. This year, he's riding EVERY double century in California, and is doing the HooDoo 500 the Furnace Creek 508 solo. While you guys were doing the BA, he was riding the Heartbreak Double route by himself.

I'm just the jester in a court of kings!

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:06 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Awesome stories! Saw a guy riding a fixie up BA this past weekend too. No matter who you are, there is always someone crazier. :P

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:20 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Going deep inside the Kremlin ... KGB-plotting with Vladimir Puntang..
Anything new to report?

Summer's here (and with it that heat .. for all intents and purposes, anyway)..

Who's bin ridin' and who's bin hidin'?

Where has the rubber bin meetin' the asphalt for yas?

Hoping here for a ride or two in either Utah, Colorado, or Mammoth in the coming months..

Tally's up to 56 century-daze now. Only 44 more to go in the next year or so. Did a long 215 miles Sunday (344km).

What's on yer Summer itinerary?

'

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:45 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Eastern Sierra Double this Saturday. :rock:

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:02 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Stay warm (and somewhat dry IF it rains).

How many feet of vertical-climbing involved (either net or gross)?

Hope for low-wind conditions, right?

(I mostly hate windy days on a bike. On skis it's great.)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:20 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

MountainNut wrote:
Stay warm (and somewhat dry IF it rains).

How many feet of vertical-climbing involved (either net or gross)?

Hope for low-wind conditions, right?

(I mostly hate windy days on a bike. On skis it's great.)

It's not a lot, actually. Only10,000 feet or so in 200 miles.

Really, the only sufferfesty part is the typical headwinds near Adobe Meadow and along Highway 6 from Benton to Bishop.

Still love it, though!

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:20 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Cycling challenges???

Uh ... here's one.

The (cycling) Haute Route. Thru the Alps down to Nice.

Courchevel. Col D'Izoard. The climb to the TdF-famous ski area, and even a next-day time-trial up the iconic (Tour-timed) ascent thru the myriad and legendary switchbacks of Alpe d'Huez. Pantani went up it in 37:35 back in the (dopers') day. And even more pains and triumphs await thru the insanely-scenic but grueling alpine-landscape...

Not for the weak-minded, no doubt..

Check out this 45 minute documentary-style video-clip.

The riders get pushed to their limits in an effort to avoid the active-contenders' cutoff time each day. The triumph of the human spirit in overcoming physical hardship, unusual discomfort, and adversity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-M29rBstEQ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:05 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

And there's also The Haute Route: Pyranees-Version..

Maybe you'll get to talk cycling with Greg Lemond somewhere along the way..

From Barcelona to the Basque Coast of Spain...

..up and over the Col d'Aubisque, the Hautacam, and even the famous Tourmalet climb..

yet another way to share an experience and growth while avoiding the sedentary side-effects of inactivity, in a spectacular landscape and panorama.

Beats laying around watching TV all day or night (on holiday)..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDFw2qNkXQI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:05 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

well - it's down to commuting to work and back - two full and 2 - 1/2 days
100 miles a week

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:18 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

M2M wrote:
100 miles a week

Good for you!

I take it you don't have to bring tools to work then?

I've got 70 centuries in now. Need 30 more for a century (100) of centuries.

And a ceramic BB on order now, as my old one wore out the bearings finally (and is pretty noisy). As my 14-tooth cassette cog/ring/gear is slipping on the chain a lot also (on order)..

Been riding the aluminum bike lately. More of a workout than with the (much-lighter) carbon frame. But the damn wind all the time is the worst of it.

Doggone biking-addiction...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:36 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

MountainNut wrote:
M2M wrote:
100 miles a week

Good for you!

I take it you don't have to bring tools to work then?

I've got 70 centuries in now. Need 30 more for a century (100) of centuries.

And a ceramic BB on order now, as my old one wore out the bearings finally (and is pretty noisy). As my 14-tooth cassette cog/ring/gear is slipping on the chain a lot also (on order)..

Been riding the aluminum bike lately. More of a workout than with the (much-lighter) carbon frame. But the damn wind all the time is the worst of it.

Doggone biking-addiction...

good for you on the centuries - all my tools ( Knives) are in my office, - I had big plans for this season doing a bunch "O" doubles but, the new job got in the way, as my schedule is Tuesday - Saturday - great ski schedule,, not so good for the organized cycling season - ( I do love it though) - I blew out a set of ceramic BB's a few years back and my mechanic recommends I only run S/S - at 220 - :o I'm tuff on the drive train -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:53 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Watch out for that officer chick who hates you and wants to run you over in a pack.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:17 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

windyscotty wrote:
Watch out for that officer chick who hates you and wants to run you over in a pack.

Ha ha...

I think I saw that the other day also. She was a (blond) volunteer cop in Santa Paula who was let go cuz of her anti-cyclist posting on FB I think. She hates cyclists!

Or are you talking about a different female cop I'm not aware of ... ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next