Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Cyclist's Thread!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:25 am 
Rodger's Ridge

My friend got this shot of our friend's 13 year old son yesterday riding Chain Smoke in Mammoth:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:24 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

just did a upgrade on the drive train - all the old bits are going on the " commuter "
so, of course, I had to over engineer everything and went to an 11 speed set up -
split the middle and went with the " new standard" - 52/36 up front and so far,,, I like it -
a bit more top end and I give up a bit on the bottom end -
36-32 for the granny but - with the new long cage , I can actually slap on a 11 speed MTB cassette I really want too

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:04 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Going deep inside the Kremlin ... KGB-plotting with Vladimir Puntang..
M2M wrote:
just did a upgrade on the drive train - all the old bits are going on the " commuter "
so, of course, I had to over engineer everything and went to an 11 speed set up -
split the middle and went with the " new standard" - 52/36 up front and so far,,, I like it -
36-32 for the granny but - with the new long cage , I can actually slap on a 11 speed MTB cassette I really want too

Were you on the standard 53/39 before? How low a gear in back? With 36 you can climb easier than a 39, but not by much! I went from 39 to 38 (130 BCD) to a full crank-change compact w/34 (now). I can't (reach top-speed-) sprint as easily (due to OVERrevving-rpms) to catch the local pelotons and speed demons, but heck, I'll take it (the compact crank) in exchange for less effort and torque needed going up steepest grades(18-20%+).

Haven't gone to any 11 speed cassettes yet here.

Have a new ceramic BB in now, but haven't ridden it yet. I still feel some (milder) vibration while hand-cranking the driveline. Must be from (old/worn) derailleur pulleys or wheel bearings as to the rest?

Using any depth on your wheels at all? I'm not. I see guys out there all the time with carbon rims and 38-50mm (or more) depth, but it seems overkill for road training purposes. Usually older TT-bike-ridin' guys that are training on (near-) exactly what they're racin'.

Gonna put any fenders on this Winter for the rainy days? (Assuming you will be riding under those conditions.. I have a cheap pair - never installed - but don't like spending long daze in the rain.)

Enjoy the two-wheeled commute and fitness it brings!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:45 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Is anyone planning on doing the prologue time trial the day before the Gran Fondo? That should be a good time!

Desmond Tutu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:52 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

MountainNut wrote:
M2M wrote:

Were you on the standard 53/39 before? How low a gear in back? With 36 you can climb easier than a 39, but not by much! I went from 39 to 38 (130 BCD) to a full crank-change compact w/34 (now). I can't (reach top-speed-) sprint as easily (due to OVERrevving-rpms) to catch the local pelotons and speed demons, but heck, I'll take it (the compact crank) in exchange for less effort and torque needed going up steepest grades(18-20%+).

Haven't gone to any 11 speed cassettes yet here.

Have a new ceramic BB in now, but haven't ridden it yet. I still feel some (milder) vibration while hand-cranking the driveline. Must be from (old/worn) derailleur pulleys or wheel bearings as to the rest?

Using any depth on your wheels at all? I'm not. I see guys out there all the time with carbon rims and 38-50mm (or more) depth, but it seems overkill for road training purposes. Usually older TT-bike-ridin' guys that are training on (near-) exactly what they're racin'.

Gonna put any fenders on this Winter for the rainy days? (Assuming you will be riding under those conditions.. I have a cheap pair - never installed - but don't like spending long daze in the rain.)

Enjoy the two-wheeled commute and fitness it brings!

I am on week 4 of the commute and have definitely gotten healthier.

"standard wheel set" for me and @ 227, no interest in anything carbon, deep dish, etc.

I was riding a compact b4 and just wanted a bit more top end -
with the 11 speed set up I have a low end now of 36-32 VS the compact 34-32 BUT - I am going to get out and do some big hills soon to test it - the option is as I wrote, to go with an even larger rear cassette( you can run up to a 36 tooth cog with the new long cage) -
another advantage to the new 11 speed crankset is - at any time I can switch out the rings and go to, standard or compact with a turn of a wrench by myself !!!
finally, :clap: , they actually designed something that makes sense !!!
of course, after my small crash,( I hate sand now), my mechanic has forbid me to ride the good bike for commuting !!! - going back to the compact after riding the new set up showed me that the new set up has made me a stronger rider !!! - ( stronger legs = more bell to bell days this winter !) :?:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:15 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Going deep inside the Kremlin ... KGB-plotting with Vladimir Puntang..
Yepper..

The more days you get in sittin' in that saddle the more the heart and lungs improve, and the more the ol' legs tighten and strengthen.

I'm just riding a 34/12 to 34/15 most of the time (usually 34/13 or 34/14 on the flats). Hills demand lower gearing on the cassette.

Once again, the last 2 weekends I've maxed/topped out at 34/12 and cranked over 130 rpm trying to keep up with the local (kitted) racers. Yeah, looks a bit silly, car drivers must be snickering.

So I ordered an 11t for the cassette, and am putting on a Rotor (oval-shaped) Q-Ring in 38t in the next few days. Just fer fun, see if it does anything remotely like they claim .. heh.

Need 21 centuries more now for the 100 goal. Had 5 flats this year so far (from goatheads, mostly.) I think I had only 1 or 2 during all of last year.

Anyone here try that PatchnRide(.com) on-road patching product? I'm somewhat skeptical .. cuz you don't even have to remove the tire, among other claims...

Changed out my wheels this morning (to a lighter set), noticed a slightly (lessened) difference in effort/torque needed for a given speed (1300g for the aluminium [sic] set is suwwweeeeet).

Rode in the rain all day Saturday last weekend (that awesome rainy Saturday). Stayed upright throughout, and the rain was a welcome & cooling relief from our typical Summertime heat and/or August humidity. Wish it rained EVERY WEEKEND!

Still playing/finessing with seat-foam shapes and discarding webbed-saddles that inevitably (eventually) crack (FAIL!) over potholes and large bumps.

Rode last w/e with a large local pelo-group for about 6+ miles before it rained, sure is easy drafting/wheelsucking at 30-34 mph behind the big guys.

Wondering if I will get back on the mt bike at all this winter on the wet muddy roads of our hoped-for El Nino..

Dunno...

As always, keep the rubber on the asphalt - UNDER yer steed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:27 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Installing a new chain means a SUDDEN awareness of those WORN cassette teeth!

The new 14t works great, but all the other individual cogs are too worn away, and skip almost instantly with any applied torque. No fun. How did the worn/stretched-out old chain ever hide some of this fact?

New-cassette-time, I guess.

The Q-Ring is awesome. Love it. Not just a gimmick, was a little worried.

The overall (mathematical) amount of effort (watts, calories, etc) to move the bike stays the exact same (can't fool/change physics), but the sharp/concentrated torque-spike (performed by each leg) of a normal circular/round chainwheel is smoothed-out (by the oval-shape), and lessened somewhat from its typical (apx?) 90-degree peak before yer pedal-bottom-out. The effort needed for a given speed feels deceptively easier due to a longer torque-curve being applied, all provided by that unusual shape. Being LESS anaerobic, more below that critical (crossover) lactate-threshold, meaning less lactic acid getting produced per a given rpm and/or mph. Bottom line (to some, anyway)!

But it IS also a 38t vs a 34t, so maybe there's something to be said for that as well, perhaps (ie, apples vs oranges?)...

Yeah, some of us cyclists take this #2 wwwaaayyyy too seriously sometimes.. LOL

Anyway ... where ya bin ridin'?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:50 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I had a trek, mid 80's with the bio rings - liked them - - just got a 34 tooth chain ring so I now can run 34X32 bottom end - 11x52 top end - and the front shifts just fine thank you very much

mostly commuting 4-5 days a week - 33 miles round trip- take it east in the morning and hammer sections of the ride home - now working Monday - Friday so may get a few more rides in with the old group on Saturdays

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:24 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Anyone ride the Fall Century/Gran Fondo from Mammoth this past weekend?

Darn it, missed it again..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:35 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

My friends did. They all had fun but were cramping with 8 - 10 miles to go. They said the head wind was pretty strong on the back side of the course and of course the heat to deal with. Lots of fun in the Village after. My buddy Tom finished in 6:30 while the fastest was about 4:30. That's fast.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:18 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I did the Prologue Time Trial on Friday afternoon, and the Gran Fondo on Saturday.

The Prologue was 37 minutes of suffer. Chris Lyman, who started a minute behind me, managed to pass me before even getting into town. He won it with a time of around 30 minutes, and I managed 7th. I was hoping the TT would open up the legs for Saturday, but it took more out of me than I was expecting!

Saturday was a tough day! The morning temps were a bit cooler than expected. Once we made the turn onto the 395, it was game on! We broke into a lead group of about 30 riders, and that group splintered more up Deadman's Summit. I detached from the lead group on Deadman's and had to chase for about eight miles down the hill toward the 120. We caught the lead group on the 120 and the pace evened out a bit. It was quite a lead group, and included Neil Shirley, Wayne Stetina, Thurlow Rogers, Chris Lyman, and pro Jon Hornbeck. The group broke apart again on Sagehen and I was caught out solo on the summit. It was a long, solo chase down the grade to the flats. A solo rider was approaching from behind, so I slowed up for him. It turned out to be Steve Hegg, so he and I shared the work all the way to the finish. We collected a couple other riders at Waterson that helped with the work a little bit.

I finished in 05:03:00 to manage 21st overall, and 8th in my age group. Thanks to the favorable winds this year, I shaved 10 minutes off my 2013 time.

Good weekend!

Desmond Tutu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:52 am 
Rodger's Ridge

SnS, you should have stopped by the Hayden Cabin/Mammoth Museum while your friends were riding. It's open until Sunday, 9/28.

Way to go OBB! Were you in any of my photos? I was at the Forest Trail intersection by the Fire Station doing traffic control for our CERT group ringing my cowbell and shouting good luck. Such an incredible sight watching all you cyclists pedaling down Main Street. It was 37° that morning...brrr!

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:53 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

SL - I was on the right side of the road, right behind the lead SUV. I made a point to stick right behind the car for the neutral start since I knew it was going to be "game on" once we turned the corner onto 395!

This is my second year doing the gran fondo, and it's so cool to see the folks curbside cheering us out of town!

Desmond Tutu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:49 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

OBBC, Thanks for the Mammoth GF/Century TR!

Sounds like fun and some good weather, except for the strong winds, of course..

Here's a supreme effort given by some "old guy" today. Yesterday was his 43rd birthday.

And today was his last race. Even if it was "only" against the clock.

51.11K! (New World Record)

What a way to go out!

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/news/voigt-sets-new-hour-record-riding-51-115km_346464

Yeah, it's jus an aerodynamic thang.

Using a 55x14, baby!

"I'm in pain now."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:19 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Ok. Here's yet another controversial topic..

What do y'all think of e-bikes being (possibly) used on MTB trails?

I saw this in our local paper today and now it's also in/on VN as well.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/news/news-fight-ride-electric-mountain-bikes-trail_347301

http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-fight-to-ride-electric-mountain-bikes-on-the-trail-1411599454

Yeay or nay on this?

[I know what windy will likely say. Myself, I haven't decided one way or the other just yet. Need more input and thought..]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next