Forums
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: My favorite hiking trail in the ES
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:40 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

I am glad you dredged this old thread up, because I am out there doing a couple of my favorite trails already.

I like to hike on some lost trails that I discovered going cross-country years ago. I fixed them up over the years to where they are perfect now. I cannot stand to have a rock larger than a quarter on any of my trails, because I have to shuffle along and do not want to roller skate on marbles. I am obsessed to have an absolutely clean look and want no dang people to bother me or be snoopin' around.

So-stay away!

Some of this stuff involves Coyote and some does not.

When I finally hit the Number One Spot on the Top Ten Places to Visit in the ES, well, it will be Rock Creek of course.

You don't think there is any place better, do you?

Stay away from Hilton Lks. and the Bench. I don't want to see you at Palisades Pass, either.

You stay home now, you hear! You can find stuff to do where you live.

bye, thanx

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:35 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

The bench is amazing in a wet year. All those lakes but Tamarack are surely completely dry this year. I saw some dipshits spinning donuts in one of the meadows. I stopped him, he was older then me and should have known better so I gave him an education. Evidently he was the off roader that gives the rest of us a bad name.

Last edited by SkierBob on Tue May 13, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:27 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Wow Bob, I thought that donut thing in the meadows on the Bench was history. You are a good man for giving that guy an education from a responsible OHV user. I would have ended my talk with him by telling him that if FS law enforcement would have caught him or got a report from the public, he would have been toast. I am sure they would have done a big fine, mandatory appearance in Bishop before the judge and confiscated his machine.

A cell phone call that could get out to the sheriff would be all that it would take for law enforcement to nab him.

It was better though that he hear it from a fellow rider. He needed to know that because of his bad behavior all the good guys take the heat. And that is just not right. Anyway, Big B, I am proud of you for stepping up to the plate and calling it as you see it. Not many people will do that, because they are afraid or don't care.

We have a responsibility as citizens of the planet to take action against resource damage no matter how small or how large. It is a privilege to live on the earth, not a right. It is a gift, not something to be used for greedy, selfish gain. Responsibility for being good stewards in nature starts at home. Nor can we leave out the blessed animals.

While you are contemplating all this heavy stuff, why don't you go for a walk on a trail and mellow out a little. If you are in town, go down to the park and do some conga dancing. I dig conga music and the wild, swarthy women who dance to it. It brings back my youth down at the park in the Mission District of old Frisco hanging with Santana.

You won't find that in the Bishop park. God forbid!

thanx, bye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:51 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Seems like a good time to dredge up this old thread - assuming there are enough people left posting to contribute to the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:51 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I enjoyed the geology hike on the Valentine Reserve yesterday morning! Their last guided hike of the season is tomorrow then they will only host school kids and researchers through the fall. The reserve is on private property.

Going car camping in the Leavitt Meadow area off 108 next week and will take day hikes from the campsite. Shall report back later.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:39 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I'll be hiking to the lakes beyon Rock Creek Lake on Friday. Hopefully catch some nice, wild trout and I'll give you a report on Monday!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:42 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Not much of a hike but the view from the top was really nice this afternoon even though some smoke starting obscuring the view of the Minarets.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:24 pm 
Broadway
Broadway

in my opinion, few hikes beat a trip to Thousand Island lake.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:06 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Powderboy wrote:
in my opinion, few hikes beat a trip to Thousand Island lake.

garnet may be cooler but it doesn't matter really as 1k island lake is cool to that whole area is like some of the best we have here. thanks bye

Post subject: Somewhere off the 108...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:24 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

From 8/3-8/5/15 I had the wonderful opportunity to join a good friend for a girls only primitive camping trip near Leavitt Creek. We enjoyed a secluded spot and never saw a soul for three days. We took a nice day hike the first day and a shorter one the following morning before heading out. Thanks my friend for sharing your "Fairy Falls" and "Granite Pools" with me. What magnificent country!

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:02 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Nice - and very pretty flowers and falls. I did notice some water pollution going on tho ūüėČ How did you like the pop up truck camper?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:54 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Thanks OH. Love my friend's pop-up truck camper! Last summer we camped in it overnight out by Mono Lake. It's great having everything we need inside therefore leaving very little footprint outside. Neat to watch the sun rise out the little windows from the sleeping platform! We're going to camp out at Benton Hot Springs in mid-September.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:36 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Off the Mono County Sheriff's Office FB page:

Quote:
Passing along this information from the U.S. Forest Service - Inyo National Forest ... If you are planning any hikes in the June Lake area, please take note of the trail closures!

Yost/Fern Lake Trailhead Closure Extended

As part of numerous mechanical thinning projects for community protection and forest health through the summer and fall, the Inyo National Forest announces the the Yost/ Fern Lake Trailhead will remain closed through September 11, 2015.
An additional four acres are being treated as part of the Yost/Fern Creek Trailhead Thinning and Aspen Restoration Project. This popular trailhead is located on the June Lake Loop between the Down Canyon Fire Station and the Double Eagle Lodge/Inn.
The trailhead parking lot is closed along with road side parking on the south side of the loop. Alternative access to this trail will be via the Yost Meadow Trailhead, which is across from the June Lake Fire Department.
An additional thinning project between the Peterson Tract and June Mountain Ski Area will be started following the completion of the Yost/ Fern Project. Trails in the project area will be closed while this project is completed; all trails will be signed. Please observe the closures for your own safety--mechanized harvesting equipment will be in operation.
These projects are designed to reduce fuels within Wildland Urban Interface (WUI). Thinning reduces wildfire spread and intensity by removing surface and ladder fuels, thus decreasing the risk of stand-replacing wildfire. This also creates an environment where firefighters can more safely respond to fire events.
Thinning also promotes forest health by increasing resiliency to insects and disease by reducing competition for water, nutrients, and sunlight.This is especially important during California’s extended drought where numerous trees are dying from insect infestations or water stress. Where applicable, restoration work will be completed to enhance aspen habitat.
For specific questions about the projects, please call Andrew Weinhart at 760-924-5550.
# # #

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:44 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

It is not over yet. This is the best time. Go for it. I will see you out there. Ain't no better place to be. Ho to the Sweetwaters!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6