Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blue tooth enabled helmets
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:31 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

I did a forum search for this topic and couldnt find any info.

I am in the market for a helmet, never owned one. I would like it to be blue-tooth enabled to stream music wirelessly and want a helmet with good audio speakers. Anybody have one of these and recommend a certain brand? Any water proof issues?

Any help is appreciated. thanks

Post subject: Re: Blue tooth enabled helmets
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:59 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

no one has blue tooth in their helmets?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:37 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I don't know of any helmets that have bluetooth, but I've seen a kit by Skullcandy. It was $200 for the kit. Not worth it to me for that price.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

yeah i have read about these kits...but why is it so hard to have the helmet come with blue tooth already installed??

oh well gotta wait a few more years i guess when the market demands it (may it wont)....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:18 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

I've gone through 5 different sets of bluetooth speakers/headsets that drop into helmets, including those garbage Skullcandy ones that Smith sells for their helmet. The buttons were easy to press but the functionality and audio quality were absolute garbage. It took me about 2-years to find a set that I liked but I finally found one:

http://www.uclear-digital.com/HBC220Snow.php

I think it was originally designed for motorcycle riders but they made this version with extended temperature range for snow (the module is waterproof). There's basically no wind noise because there's 2 mics (one in each speaker) and it will only transmit sound that BOTH speakers pick up. It's pretty nifty.

Anyway, it's not a full helmet, it's a kit that you can drop into your earpads, but I love this thing. My absolute favorite feature is the intercom function. It's nice to be able to coach my GF on the hill in a calm level voice through the helmet without having to scream at her. (Of course whoever you're trying to use the intercom with will have to have the same product).

I usually have two devices connected, iPod (through bluetooth media audio) and Phone (for phone only audio). I can listen to music and if a call comes in it will pause the iPod.

My only gripe with it is the shape of the control module and the mounting hardware. I used the doublesided tape that they used and it popped off during one of the stormy days we had earlier this season. I ended up sewing the mounting tab directly to my earpiece and it made it keeps it lower profile and all.

In the end, Function > Form, it works better than the other garbage I've tried so my GF and I are keeping it

If you're interested in checking it out, we're on the hill pretty often (about every other weekend), you're welcome to meet up if you don't mind chatting with some one-plankers plowing through all your precious moguls :D

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:28 pm 
Climax
Climax

Conan

I read a few reviews and they said the music quality was crap, but everything else was top notch.
Care to give us your feed back?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:46 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Malolo wrote:
Conan

I read a few reviews and they said the music quality was crap, but everything else was top notch.
Care to give us your feed back?

The speakers are very thin. Don't expect any mind blowing bass. Remember, this is a stereo headset primarily used for communication, not for rocking out. It's no worse than the speakers that came with the Smith/Skullcandy Bluetooth kit. The pros outweigh the cons, and there isn't a better option unless you go with a wired set (and even then the mics will still pick up wind noise).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:39 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

I don't have Bluetooth, but I have a Smith Variant that had the HORRIBLE Skullcandy crap.....I'll never buy anything from Skullcandy again....and their customer service is even worse than their crummy quality is.... I digress.... but in order to fix the Skullcandy in-line switch/microphone so that I could use my iPhone & helmet speakers, I searched for a alternative. AND I FOUND A GREAT SOLUTION to replace the broken switch/mic....and it has solved my problem for ONLY $15 + shipping (from Tustin, CA). It's from a company called 'V-Moda'
The product is the '1 Button SpeakEasy Cable' and it is bomber! The cable itself is very strong- reinforced sheath- in comparison to the previous junk from Skullcandy. The switch/mic works like the original iPhone earbuds with the switch (which is a great feature because you can answer phone calls, stopping the tunes, and when the call is over it goes back to music). Exactly like the Apple earbuds/mic switch. FANTASTIC!So now I can listen, adjust volume, answer calls easily with my iPhone in my pocket. I recommend this product whole heartedly as a quality solution at a great price. Here's the link...

http://v-moda.com/1-button-speakeasy-cable/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:01 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Skull Candy is great. I just send them their stuff back when it breaks and a week later I get a package from them with a new replacement. No questions asked - I don't even call first. Worked 3/3 times so far in 3 years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:18 pm 
Climax
Climax

Someone should ask Calisnow he is the biggest gear weeny on the forums

... You have to have a real love of your sport to carry you through all the bad times, you still want to ski even when things aren't working. You must have a commitment to work hard and to never give up. - Nancy Greene

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:20 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

After looking into the Bluetooth option from Skull Candy for my Wife's Giro helmet (you put the speakers in the ear pads) I chose to go with the wired one.... Cheaper, and it's not so bad to deal with the cable coming out the back of your helmet and into your jacket, since you only fuss with it once or twice a day, depending on how often you take your jacket off.

She likes it a lot, and I feel better knowing she isnt fussing with ear buds that never stay in and become a junk show every time you take the helmet off. I did need to trip the foam in the ear pds of the helmet a bit because she felt like the speakers were pressing into the side of her head too hard... I cut back the foam a bit so they recessed into the padding more, but still stay in place.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:05 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

gowithapro2009 wrote:
Someone should ask Calisnow he is the biggest gear weeny on the forums

For those of us who have had a family member kill themself cuz of name calling, you have never sounded more insensitive or "out there" than you do today. Step back and rethink what you are saying.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:47 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Do you really want a product that you have to send back every year? And you don't have to get a pre-authorized Return Authorization (RA#) number? Really? That's unusual for most companies. Most want to control returns, but apparently SKUL isn't like most companies. They make over priced junk and try to sell the cachet of the look and not the quality of the function. My time (and frustration) is worth more than that. The solution that I offered up earlier is a one-time bomber solution at a very inexpensive price- $15.

When I'm out playing I want my stuff to work at that moment. Not to experience, "Rats, the farking cable switch broke again. Oh, I'll just wait until I get back to the crib and disassemble the culprit, pack it up to ship, pay for postage, mail to Bumphk Eqypt and wait for the return a week later (or more). And what if at 'their discretion' SKUL says that it was your fault, so here's your 50% off coupon (and SKUL still makes a small profit on your woes cuz that crap they make is marked up way more than 65% (meaning, e.g., that a retail price of $10 has a 65% initial mark-up when the wholesale cost was $3.50.....not to go off on a tangent, but retail mark-up % is referenced to the retail selling price, i.e.,Markup % = Markup Amount รท Retail Price ). http://retail.about.com/od/retailingmath/a/retail_formulas.htm

So, yeah, if you're a fan of SKUL and think that they take care of you, and are satisfied with their product, then stay with 'em. Just wasn't my (or a lot of others) experience.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:11 pm 
Sesame street
Sesame street

I've been hearing really good things about the Outdoor Technology/Bern Audio Chips, sounds quality and functionality seems to be spot on. Looking forward to giving them a try this year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:01 pm 
Climax
Climax

I have the Uclear model discussed above. Got it mainly for answering the phone, for which it is wonderful. I got a call in a blizzard while getting on a chair, and it was great to just answer "hello" and be in the call. Speaker quality is excellent for a phone conversation.

Have not tried it with music yet.

If you get caught driving too fast to Mammoth, check out this on-line Traffic School. It's funny, quick, and easy. If you copy the link we will each get a $2 rebate. Thanks. http://www.trafficinteractive.com/referral.asp#oid=1989_1