Forums
It is currently Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Edge Tuner not making contact??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:42 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Rookie question here... I have an SKS Multi-tool for edge tuning, and at first it seemed to take off any discoloration and smooth out the edges, but lately when I set it to the preferred/factory bevel of whatever board's base / side edge I am working on it doesnt really make contact. :?

Doing a little research I think it may be time for some slight sidewall removal and a base grind to let the tool hunker down and contact the edge again. Any ideas? I am trying to keep a 1* base bevel and 2* side bevel.

http://www.racewax.com/p-375-base-side- ... tones.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:23 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Sounds like you're sharpening too often (or riding too slow). Most folks it's the other way around -- all our snowboards end up edge-high cuz we never tune. Base material tends to wear away from snow friction.

Post subject: Re: Edge Tuner not making contact??
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:55 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I've never used a file on an edge, only diamond stones every time I wax (maybe every 4-5 days of riding) so I dont think "sharpening" too often is the case here. :?:

Bottom line, if I set the tuner to a 2* side bevel (or 1* base bevel) and it wont remove the burs & discoloration from the edge, how can I clean up the edge and ensure I'm keeping my bevels in check?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:02 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

The second and third bullets in your link...
  • Three diamond stones included!
  • Use the black for cutting, the blue to maintain the sharpness and the red to fine sharpen and polish.
...but if anybody else answers they're sure to know more than me.

Another reason I almost never sharpen is I break edges even without hitting rocks so my preference is the thicker the edge the better.

Post subject: Re: Edge Tuner not making contact??
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:08 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

From RaceWax.com

"If the base edge is not in contact it means that the angle is greater than one. The only way to go back to one is with a base grind. You can actually find out what angle it is by taking a sharpie, coloring the edge, start the tool at 1 deg to confirm no contact, then change it to 1.5, if still no contact keep going up 0.5 at a time. When the sharpie is removed, that is your angle.

The side edge should always make contact with something - either the metal or the sidewall of the ski. I assume you watched the video on the link you gave me to see how to mount the tool. Note that if your diamond stones are as ugly as his, it is time to change them. If they can't scratch glass they are worn. You can find the side angle in the same way as above, 0.5 at a time.

You should use the file at least once to make sure the bevel is what you think and that it is even for the length of the ski. Once set with the file, then use diamonds; diamonds are best used when you know the bevel matches your tool setting and the file does that.

Last rule - for the base edge set & forget and don't over work it - even with diamonds - it is easy to over bevel it. Touch only when needed. Sharpening is primarily from the side edge only."