Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitboard binding preferences?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:47 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Looking at DIY'ing a split. The Voile Split Kit is obviously the low cost option, using regular bindings.
Spark seems like the mid-range choice (still expensive) and Karakoram the super expensive option.

I'm interested in the hassle/cost/performance trade-offs. Any input is appreciated. (Yes, I have a beacon, probe, shovel and won't be venturing off without an locally experienced person along)

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Splitboard binding preferences?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:05 am 
Broadway
Broadway

I DIY a splitboard about 8 years ago and used it a couple of times. I can't help you with the bindings, but there is one mistake I made. I used a full rocker powder board. Rocker was all the rage at the time and hey, if your split boarding your riding powder right? Well, the rockered board made skinning difficult. You have a much smaller skin contact patch and the board flexes up with each step. I would recommend using a stiffer board with traditional camber. That way each plank will perform more like an individual ski with each step/slide while skinning. Good luck with your build!

Post subject: Re: Splitboard binding preferences?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:34 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

sdmoondogg wrote:
I DIY a splitboard about 8 years ago and used it a couple of times. I can't help you with the bindings, but there is one mistake I made. I used a full rocker powder board. Rocker was all the rage at the time and hey, if your split boarding your riding powder right? Well, the rockered board made skinning difficult. You have a much smaller skin contact patch and the board flexes up with each step. I would recommend using a stiffer board with traditional camber. That way each plank will perform more like an individual ski with each step/slide while skinning. Good luck with your build!

This is really valuable feedback. I was thinking as you had about the pow board idea. Definitely will reconsider what's in the "splittable" deck stack. Thanks!