Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Goggles for White out Days
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:21 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

^ No problem. Always glad to help out another forumite.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:13 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

You know the transition lenses they make for eyeglasses... the lenses that get darker when you go outside?
They make the same thing for googles, and they work great for all conditions... nightskiing, bluebird, whiteout... My last googles were interchangeable lenses between dark, orange, and clear. But with these googles I don't have to fumble around with different lenses, carry them in my pocket, or keep changing them on partly cloudy days... one lense and it changes according to conditions. They're polarized too as well... I believe this is the only company that makes photochromatic ski googles...
http://www.backcountry.com/store/ZEL0006/Zeal-Link-Polarized-Photochromatic-Goggle.html
http://www.backcountry.com/store/ZEL0034/Zeal-Detonator-Spherical-Polarized-Photochromatic-Goggles.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:07 am 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

^ uvex also makes goggles just like the ones you described.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:57 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Any comments on these for white out days: Zeal Link Polarized Photochromatic Goggle.

Seems easier to buy these instead of changeable lens goggles. What say you?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:11 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

noworkski wrote:
Any comments on these for white out days: Zeal Link Polarized Photochromatic Goggle.

i think you are going to getter better optics for specific conditions with goggles that have changeable lenses. Its not like you have to change lenses on the goggles that often. Its not usually sunny, stormy, sunny, stormy, sunny, stormy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:45 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

snowboard247 wrote:
noworkski wrote:

i think you are going to getter better optics for specific conditions with goggles that have changeable lenses. Its not like you have to change lenses on the goggles that often. Its not usually sunny, stormy, sunny, stormy, sunny, stormy.

True. Will investigate the above recommendations now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:16 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Zeal Optics Detonator PPX
One lens for all conditions.
Superb!
As far as I know, the only photochromatic ski goggle out there, have never seen the Uvex version.
Purchased at Mammoth Mountaineering two years ago for $150. Comes with microfiber bag and hardshell case.
No complaints in any conditions. The lenses change quick enough for bright sun into tight shady trees.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:25 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

That looks like the hot ticket if you can afford them.

http://www.zealoptics.com/products-gogg ... 09&m=1&s=5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:15 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

onyourleft wrote:
Zeal Optics Detonator PPX
One lens for all conditions.
Superb!
As far as I know, the only photochromatic ski goggle out there, have never seen the Uvex version.
Purchased at Mammoth Mountaineering two years ago for $150. Comes with microfiber bag and hardshell case.
No complaints in any conditions. The lenses change quick enough for bright sun into tight shady trees.

Foggy and white out conditions too?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:24 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

noworkski wrote:
Foggy and white out conditions too?

Absolutely. Great contrast in whiteouts - a rose-colored tint.
Surprisingly, in a world of marketing hype, they actually perform as advertised.
They have a lifetime warranty, which I haven't taken the time to use yet.
My lenses have gotten a tiny bit scratched through two years of hard use. The scratches do not diminish the photochromatic action.
I went in to Mammoth Mountaineering to see if they had replacement lenses. They did not, but Autumn took my info and called me back the next day. She had called Zeal who told her to have me send them in and they would replace the lenses for free. Haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll post up on that experience when it happens.
So far, these are well worth the extra cash.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:18 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I'm telling you the Zeal photochromatic goggles are the best goggles I ever got. They work great in ALL conditions. Foggy, whitout, cloudy, sunny, night, everything. They can go from sun to shade or vice versa behind the shadow of the mountain or for partly cloudy days no problem. Like I've said, I had interchangeable lenses before and they were a PITA to change out the lenses. The Zeals were a bit expensive at $150 but the interchangeable goggles ran me $130 a few years back. The interchangeables I had scratched easily (I had to get replacement lenses) and the plastic above the nose broke in half with heavy use, but it was still usable when closed. With interchangeables you have take your lense out out your pockets and protective sleeve, take the other lense out of your goggles (it's not always easy opening them up...), put those lense in the sleeve and then pocket. Then you have to put the new lense into your goggles making sure everything is lined up perfectly before you close the goggles. If not, you'll have to open and re-close the goggles again. All with cold hands, and maybe in howling wind too. Screw all that. Once you go with photochromatic goggles, you'll never go back... and yes, as stated above, they come with a protective sleeve and hardshell case... and the rose colored tint was weird for me at first, but you get used to that...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:43 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Mountain Guy wrote:
I'm telling you the Zeal photochromatic goggles are the best goggles I ever got. They work great in ALL conditions. Foggy, whitout, cloudy, sunny, night, everything. They can go from sun to shade or vice versa behind the shadow of the mountain or for partly cloudy days no problem. Like I've said, I had interchangeable lenses before and they were a PITA to change out the lenses. The Zeals were a bit expensive at $150 but the interchangeable goggles ran me $130 a few years back. The interchangeables I had scratched easily (I had to get replacement lenses) and the plastic above the nose broke in half with heavy use, but it was still usable when closed. With interchangeables you have take your lense out out your pockets and protective sleeve, take the other lense out of your goggles (it's not always easy opening them up...), put those lense in the sleeve and then pocket. Then you have to put the new lense into your goggles making sure everything is lined up perfectly before you close the goggles. If not, you'll have to open and re-close the goggles again. All with cold hands, and maybe in howling wind too. Screw all that. Once you go with photochromatic goggles, you'll never go back... and yes, as stated above, they come with a protective sleeve and hardshell case... and the rose colored tint was weird for me at first, but you get used to that...

Zeal Link or Detonator. Only difference I can see is size/fit and helmet pushes/guards on the link. Correct?

http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/zeal-opti ... ggles.html

Also, I feed dumb asking this but what is the difference between spherical and non-sphircal lenses. Obviously the shape of the lens is convex but why would I want that?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

noworkski wrote:
Zeal Link or Detonator. Only difference I can see is size/fit and helmet pushes/guards on the link. Correct?

Also, I feed dumb asking this but what is the difference between spherical and non-sphircal lenses. Obviously the shape of the lens is convex but why would I want that?

It appears the only difference (according to the backcountry.com descriptions) is size, Detonator being "extra wide", and about the helmet pushes/guards... I dunno... The Links I got are non spherical but I don't think there's much of a difference between spherical and non-spherical lenses other than style... I got the Links because my main concern was compatability with my helmet, as the previous goggles I had were not very compatible with my helmet. The Links were compatible after all, as the description claim to won "Skiing Magazine's award for best helmet use". The Detonators at the time were $50 more than the Links but that's not the case anymore. Those two reasons are why I got the Links last season. In ordering, with both the Links and Detonator, the PPX are non-spherical and the SPP are spherical. The SPX is spherical but not photochromatic.

You can read the descriptions and reviews from these two links...
http://www.backcountry.com/store/ZEL0006/Zeal-Link-Polarized-Photochromatic-Goggle.html
http://www.backcountry.com/store/ZEL0005/Zeal-Detonator-Polarized-Photochromatic-Goggle.html

Also check out Zeal's website at http://www.zealoptics.com/products-goggles.php?carXML=goggles_09&m=1&s=5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:05 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

^^^^ Zeal Link PPX it is. Found a pair on sale. Done and thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:33 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Where, and how much ?