Forums
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summer Crowds are GONE!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:01 am 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

With California schools for the most part back in session the Mammoth summer crowds have left the building.

Went for a hike and instead of running into a few hundred people we saw only 4 people on the trail.

Come on up for some fun!

http://mammothsnowman.com
http://discovermammoth.com

Post subject: Re: Summer Crowds are GONE!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:14 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Just got back from attempting to fish Lake Mamie and the entire Lakes Basin is currently slammed. Hate to see what it looked like when it was crowded :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:13 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

^ The poor Lakes Basin is overly-loved. Too many people, too few parking spaces and not enough folks riding the free trolley up there.

Projected occupancy this weekend is still a healthy 75%, but slowing down from the 85-95% weekends we've been seeing all summer. There are several good-sized events happening this weekend, including ours this afternoon/evening at the Mammoth Museum at the Hayden Cabin.

If you want a slower pace and mellow crowds, come to our family-friendly event starting at 4:30-9:30. It's our annual Pioneer Party and general membership meeting (starts at 5:00). Come enjoy dinner outdoors from three different food vendors (serving starts at 6:00 - cash only), cash bar, and music by local Bluegrass-ish band Bodie 601 (starts at 6:30). $15 cover/per person for non-members, free to members of the Southern Mono Historical Society. Find details on our FB page "Mammoth Museum at the Hayden Cabin" or on our website at http://www.mammothmuseum.org under the events tab.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:12 am 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Sorry I meant to say week days are much slower.... 8-)

http://mammothsnowman.com
http://discovermammoth.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:27 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

^ Weekdays are already better. Today was much better, limited out in about an hour this evening.

I've spent the past three weeks in the Eastern Sierra and I have to say I haven't seen it busier in my 25 years of visitation. Virginia Lakes, which I usually rely on as a respite from the ML Basin with its hordes, had full parking lots on all four visits, midweek and weekend alike. And much more trail activity than usual (luckily, my fishing spots on the hiking lakes were always deserted). Same goes for Saddlebag - getting on the ferry after 9 was hard for a group of 2, let alone larger ones. Lundy, while not "busy" in relative terms compared to the other basins, was busier than usual as well. Mono Inn was filled on a Wednesday night. And as SL said the ML Basin is "overloved" for good reason (Arrowhead put out good fishing in spite of a multitude of swimmers, as did Skelton). Found less trash at my favorite spot on Lake Mamie than in previous years so at least some of them are trying to take care of it. Seems that seeking the sort of solitude where there isn't a human for miles required longer hikes and steeper climbs than it did even a few years ago.

While the tourism dollars the crowds bring is important and I respect the efforts of MLT and Mono County Tourism to bring people into town with their VERY well run Facebook and Instagrams, part of me dies a little when I see formerly unknown lakes in the Tioga region be broadcasted out amid a flurry of thousands of "likes" and comments. Doesn't take as much effort to discover new treasures as it did in the past. That said, hooray for a great summer and winter - Mammoth seems to be getting rediscovered.

Though I will not give the TBID the credit...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:43 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

^ Ha...I don't give the TBID credit either. :x

Hey, I could actually make a left-hand turn yesterday and today...whoo hoo!!

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:34 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Just got back from a short week at Glacier National Park - way more crowded than Mammoth was in early August. But still a great place to go and not as crazy as Yellostone or Grand Teton, both of which are at a complete level of insanity - just like Yosemite Valley.