https://www.facebook.com/InyoCountySher ... =3&theater

www.mammothmuseum.org

Post subject: Update 5/23
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:41 am 
Broadway
Broadway

Inyo Co Sheriff's Dept:

Quote:
Inyo County Search and Rescue (SAR) is on its second day of searching for missing hiker Dongying “Cindy” Qiu, a 27 year old woman from San Marino, CA. Cindy was part of a three-person hiking group that set out to hike Mt. Whitney on Sunday May 21st at 2:00am. After reaching Trail Crest (~13,700’ elevation) at approximately 1:00pm, she decided to head back to the trailhead at Whitney Portal alone. The original report indicated that the other two members of the hiking group went on to ascend Mt. Whitney, but later interviews revealed that one member of the hiking group (a female) turned around earlier in the hike before reaching Trail Crest. The male hiking companion did go on to ascend Mt. Whitney by himself, and when he returned to Whitney Portal around midnight, he was unable to locate Cindy. Inyo County Sheriff’s Dispatch was notified at approximately 9:00am on Monday May 22 of the missing hiker.

Following a lead from other hikers who believed they saw Cindy (descending the trail alone on Sunday late afternoon), Inyo County Search and Rescue and CHP H-80 out of Apple Valley began a search of the area between Trail Camp and Outpost Camp yesterday. A backpack matching the description of Cindy’s was located near Outpost Camp late yesterday afternoon. This morning additional teams are actively searching the area. Support for today’s search is provided by Sierra Madre SAR, San Bernardino SAR, China Lake Mountain Rescue Mountain Rescue Group, Inyo SAR and aerial support is provided by Army National Guard and CHP H-80.

If anyone has any information that may assist in this search please contact Sheriff’s Dispatch as 760-878-0383.

Post subject: Re: 5/22 Missing Person Alert
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:18 pm 
Broadway
Broadway

Inyo Co Sheriff's Dept:
Quote:
At noon today Dongying “Cindy” Qiu was located deceased at the base of a frozen waterfall near Outpost Camp. It is believed that she fell approximately 60 feet through a snow chute at the top of the waterfall (located on the southwest side of Outpost Camp, about a quarter mile off trail).
“This is an incredibly tragic situation and based on the extreme snow conditions in the backcountry, this could have happened to anyone,” stated Inyo County Sheriff’s Corporal Nick Vaughn. “The entire search crew and the Sheriff’s Office extend their most sincere condolences to the Qiu family and friends during this very difficult time.”
This was the second day of searching for the missing hiker. Support for today’s search was provided by Sierra Madre SAR, San Bernardino SAR, China Lake Mountain Rescue Mountain Rescue Group, Inyo SAR and aerial support provided by Army National Guard and CHP H-80.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:20 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Very sad outcome.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:34 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

:cry:

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:32 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Very sad. I dont understand this part though.

Quote:
a snow chute at the top of the waterfall (located on the southwest side of Outpost Camp, about a quarter mile off trail).

How did she get off trail?

Actually re reading I dont understand this part either.

Quote:
After reaching Trail Crest (~13,700’ elevation) at approximately 1:00pm, she decided to head back to the trailhead at Whitney Portal alone. The original report indicated that the other two members of the hiking group went on to ascend Mt. Whitney, but later interviews revealed that one member of the hiking group (a female) turned around earlier in the hike before reaching Trail Crest. The male hiking companion did go on to ascend Mt. Whitney by himself

So there were 3 in the group, and each split off eventually? I was always taught never to hike alone (amended to unfamiliar places), is that different now?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:36 am 
Climax
Climax

She probably hit a ice patch and slid down 60 feet to the bottom of the waterfall where she was found.
Happens every year at Baldy. Almost impossible to self arrest unless you are carrying a ice ax and are ready to use it.
I would never send my partner down alone. Everyone has a different perspective on what is safe though.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:48 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

The part I am confused about is that it says the top of the waterfall where she probably fell is 1/4 mile away from the trail. I wonder how she got 1/4 mile off trail to be in proximity of that waterfall.

Quote:
It is believed that she fell approximately 60 feet through a snow chute at the top of the waterfall (located on the southwest side of Outpost Camp, about a quarter mile off trail).

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:08 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

It's possible the trail is covered in snow. I'd be surprised if it's not given the altitude. Doesn't seem like a good time to try to hike Whitney unless you are experienced and very prepared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

I'm kinda interpreting it that she reached Outpost Camp with the intention of either reuniting with her party there, and/or occupying some time by doing a bit of exploration. It's possible she arrived, ate, left her backpack, then explored a bit uphill.

http://californiathroughmylens.com/mt-w ... -waterfall

Edit: Actually on whitneyzone.com they say it's a common mistake to miss the trail and wind up following the creek, which places a waterfall between said hiker and Outpost Camp. This is all above 10k elevation, so snow-covered.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:07 pm 
Climax
Climax

Very tragic indeed. I just assumed she wasn't feeling well and turned back. Who knows how she was thinking etc...
Should of had someone accompany her especially if she wasn't feeling well.
I agree with Twins of never sending my partner down alone..it's not worth it. The mountain will still be there for later.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:24 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

ShiftyRider wrote:
I'm kinda interpreting it that she reached Outpost Camp with the intention of either reuniting with her party there, and/or occupying some time by doing a bit of exploration. It's possible she arrived, ate, left her backpack, then explored a bit uphill.

Edit: Actually on whitneyzone.com they say it's a common mistake to miss the trail and wind up following the creek, which places a waterfall between said hiker and Outpost Camp. This is all above 10k elevation, so snow-covered.

:geek: Ah this makes sense, thanks Shifty. Its just that in the San Gabriels and a lot of times I always read the hiker was off the trail when the mishap occurred.

ST it sounds like 2 people turned back at separate times and then the third went up alone. So they basically tripled their potential for trouble. The odds are too steep for me. I'm a chicken.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:38 am 
Climax
Climax

snowhottie wrote:
ShiftyRider wrote:

:geek: Ah this makes sense, thanks Shifty. Its just that in the San Gabriels and a lot of times I always read the hiker was off the trail when the mishap occurred.

ST it sounds like 2 people turned back at separate times and then the third went up alone. So they basically tripled their potential for trouble. The odds are too steep for me. I'm a chicken.

Either all summit or all turn back game plan should of been made with a party of 3. Especially given the conditions; hind sight is always 20/20.