Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Local restaurant reviews - post here!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:24 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
^^^ I checked out the menu and it looks good but pricey. IT'S it was $19 for a pot pie!

The 20mins parking right in front keeps me from spending any longer in the village. And if there are no parking spots we don't stop. I believe the Village needs to put out a lot more effort to gain my cash!! And that dirty parking lots really sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:48 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

53 looks interesting but I've been on a self-imposed Village boycott ever since the lot started charging for parking.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:12 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

ICAM about the parking lot. But hey... take the bus & have an extra $10 drink :drunk:

Post subject: Re: Local restaurant reviews - 53: positive food report!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:52 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I treated my g/f to lunch today at 53 for her post-birthday celebration. Really glad we tried it because we had a wonderful meal and great experience all around. We were greeted and seated by the head of restaurant operations of all the restaurants in the Village (53's original GM quit and they've only been open for 3.5 weeks) who I recognized as a previous GM at The Rafter's and I think later at Mammoth Tavern. Our server, Chaviel, was friendly, outgoing and very attentive. We discovered that breakfast is served until 2:00 p.m. so my g/f ordered this breakfast dish called Chilaquiles with sliced avocado, charred salsa, cotija cheese, lime crema, cilantro with an egg on top (cooked any way you like it). I had a taste and it was delicious and not too spicy. Cost: $13 and it was a large serving she almost couldn't finish.

I had a lunch dish called California Cruiser which was chicken and waffle sliders, thick cut bacon, smoked Gouda cheese, caramelized onions with a syrup-type dribble on top, salad with homemade citrus dressing...amazing flavor! Cost: $14. More than I could finish so took half of the slider home for dinner.

We chatted with our server about the good and poor reviews I had seen so far. She told us they had hired and trained 14 wait staff and by the time they opened only 5 remained (she being one) so they were terribly understaffed on opening weekend. She said they've hired more staff and made a lot of changes and improvements. While waiting for our check, another couple walked by who my g/f knew. Turns out he is a waiter at Nevado's, but also the night floor manager at 53 so we told him what we told Chaviel. He too reiterated what she had said. He also told us the morning and afternoon wait staff are better than their evening staff right now and they are working with the evening staff. I told him about my Happy Hour visit with SnS a few weeks ago and the fact that they had no HH specials. He asked where we read this and I told him on their website so he said he'd look into that and make some necessary changes so they would have what they advertised. When I got on their website this evening I noticed that the words "Happy Hour" (which had read from 2:00-5:00) had been removed. Hmmm.

http://www.mammothmountain.com/winter/s ... -cocktails

Yes, this establishment is a bit pricey, but I'd be willing to go again to try more items on their menus. All in all, 4 thumbs us from us today.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:19 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

:roll: :roll: ^^^ Maybe we'll give 53 another shot. We do have some Pass Cash to use this year, I suppose. Strange that they've had problems retaining staff. It did seem the girl waiting on us had just walked in off the street and knew nothing of the restaurant or the menu.

I will say the Swine Burger left something to be desired though. I've never seen a sandwich use King Hawaiian rolls before. Aren't those about the cheapest bread product you can buy? Rather low quality dish, I'd say.

The chilaquiles look good though!

Desmond Tutu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:47 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

We stopped by and looked at the menu. Too pricey for me.
Every place in the village has one strike against them because of the parking.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:19 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Had a great burger at cj's for lunch last week. $8 for a half pound, fat, juicy burger, pepper jack cheese, and hand cut fries. Really good deal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:06 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

CJ's is the best restaurant in Mammoth....

Hands down

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:20 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Isn't that where Douggie Fresh works ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:25 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

^ Yup!

I just referred a friends' daughter to CJ's for their intimate wedding rehearsal dinner in mid-August. Hope it works out for them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:59 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

onegoodturn wrote:
CJ's is the best restaurant in Mammoth....

Hands down

Maybe I'll have to try CJ's again. I don't like bad food, and that food was not good when I was there, and it wasn't busy at all. It was a couple seasons ago, but what I remember, what they served me wasn't on the menu cause they decided not to make it that day and substituted a chicken breast instead. And what I got was a boneless skinless chicken breast that wasn't seasoned at ALL except for BBQ sauce on the side, that is a clue that the chef is no chef, and it was overcooked to boot. So easy to make, yet wrong on so many levels. I cook 6-7 times per week and I wouldn't serve that to my worst enemy, bland, pasty, dry chicken.

My hand cut fries were the worst hand cut fries I have ever tasted. They were very dark brown, almost like they went into the fryer multiple times to be heated up for the next guest. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

I used to think Petra's had the best food, but they seem to have taken a turn for the worse this past season. Certainly not worth the fare anymore, the duck confit appetizer used to be really good before they changed it this season, now it is just ok.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:18 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

mspamelablythe wrote:
My family and I will be the guinea pigs - I can't turn down a place with fondue and short ribs. I'll report after March 28th!

We went there last time up, beginning of March, guess the place had been opened for two weeks. We couldn't get a table, but ate at the bar with the bar menu. Not sure why everyone is complaining about prices, it didn't seem too expensive compared to other Mammoth establishments.

Appetizer: Warm soft pretzel with bacon/cheddar dipping sauce. Basically it was a nearly perfect pretzel bread. Soft and gooey, just the right amount of salt. The cheddar bacon dip was great too. Licked it clean. Great start.

Entrees: I had the short rib sandwich and my fiance got the pork sandwich on the Hawaiin roll. Her sandwich was really good, lots of different and complimenting flavors mixed with tender pork. The only issue was it had to be eaten with a fork/knife as the soft roll made it impossible to pick up, plus they didn't cut it in half.
My short rib sandwich was a disaster. It was supposed to have picked onions and chimichurri sauce on it. I looked, but I couldn't find or taste the chimichurri. More discouraging, there was so little meat on the sandwich. The bread to meat ratio was so far off. I actually took the meat from half the sandwich and moved it all onto one half, but even that was still way too bready. Furthermore, the short ribs were overcooked and slightly dry. I cook short ribs often, these were not very good. The manager came over toward the end of our meal and asked if everything was ok. He immediately looked at my plate and saw half of the sandwich roll on the side of my plate and asked what happened. When I told him and he looked at what was left of the meat in my sandwich, he immediately apologized and told me if was supposed to be overflowing with meat and he had never seen one come out of the kitchen like that. Maybe, it had so little meat that I have a hard time believing they "accidentally" left out "most" of the meat. Regardless, that wasn't the right roll for that sandwich anyway. They ended up comping it.

We also got the hand cut fries. Wow, they were really good. Hot, fresh out of the fryer, and not overcooked. Way better than the fries I got at CJ's.

Desert: The offered us free desert since they messed up my entree so badly. We got the hot apple pie. It was actually quite delicious, although too sweet for me.

Overall, it I had ordered something different, it would have been a good experience. But that short rib sandwich just sucked big time. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since they had only been open a couple weeks and will probably try them again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:48 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Somewhere between Outpost 14 and Hash House a Go Go...
WeatherGuy wrote:

I used to think Petra's had the best food, but they seem to have taken a turn for the worse this past season. Certainly not worth the fare anymore, the duck confit appetizer used to be really good before they changed it this season, now it is just ok.

Noooooo!!!! Say it aint so!!!! I loved that appetizer!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:13 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

mspamelablythe wrote:
WeatherGuy wrote:

Noooooo!!!! Say it aint so!!!! I loved that appetizer!!!!!

Yes, me too, the new version is a big step backwards. They said they might bring back the old version soon, so maybe you'll get lucky end of the month when you visit.

Both my meals there this season have not been as good as previous trips, I heard there is a new chef this year. But then again, maybe I am biased and spoiled living in the Bay Area.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:53 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

onegoodturn wrote:
CJ's

I honestly don't think I've been there since it was Alpenrose.

Too bad about Petras. What's the word on the restaurant going in at the old Mammoth Brewing location?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next