Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
 Post subject: Re: 9.0 M Quake off Japan !!! Tsunami Warning for CA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:35 pm 
Climax
Climax

The biggest quake I was in at Mammoth was 3.2 and it woke me up from a dead sleep. I cant imagine the terror of something like this.

... You have to have a real love of your sport to carry you through all the bad times, you still want to ski even when things aren't working. You must have a commitment to work hard and to never give up. - Nancy Greene

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:33 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

My sister lived up in the Bay Area in 1989 when the Loma Prieta quake hit. She said it was really amazing how on edge people got after a few days of aftershocks. Sometimes a big truck would rumble by and people would actually dive under their desks afraid that it was another quakes. People ended up being really irritated and angry after a while.

I can only imagine how much worse it is in Japan considering how big some of the aftershocks are.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:42 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Who tests the levels in California's snow pack? Will DWP tell us they can't use the water?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:49 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

AP wrote:
Results from a March 25 milk sample taken from Spokane, Wash., showed levels of radioactive Iodine-131 that were still 5,000 times below levels of concern set by the FDA, including levels set for infants and children.

"Radiation is all around us in our daily lives, and these findings are a miniscule amount compared to what people experience every day," said Patricia Hansen, senior scientist.at the FDA. "A person would be exposed to low levels of radiation on a round-trip cross-country flight, watching television, and even from construction materials."

EPA said it was increasing the level of nationwide monitoring of milk, precipitation and drinking water.

Spokane, a city of 208,000 residents, is located more than 300 miles east of the Pacific coast. Kim Papich, spokeswoman for the Spokane Regional Health District, said the agency was aware of the EPA report and preparing to issue a statement to residents.

"This is not a major health concern," Papich said.

Read more at SF Gate

Now to be sure the radiation has to be pretty miniscule. However, its amazing to me that enough radiation has crossed thousands of miles of the Pacific to settle on vegetation that cows eat in concentrations high enough to be detected when they produce their milk.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:10 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Amazing video of the tsunami from someone with a front row seat. It starts out slow and just continues to build. I estimate the water was about 25 feet deep when the video ended based on the number of floors sticking out above the water on the building across from the person shooting the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu056xg4 ... re=related

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:57 am 
Rodger's Ridge

That's one of the best videos I've seen of the tsunami. Look at how black the water is. The sheer volume of the inundation is overwhelming.

I wonder if the Japanese will have to think more of vertical evacuation points scattered around their cities in the flatter coastal areas. Hills seem too distant to reach. Even the few minutes they gained from their tsunami warning system saved many lives.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:13 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

This is amazing! A dog has been rescued at sea from a raft of wreckage after 3 weeks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puXbqK3tNbM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:18 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I saw a news report showing pics of signs that say something to the effect of "End of inundation zone" indicating it was "safe" there. This tsunami went another 1/2 mile or more father inland than those signs. They'll definitely have to reconsider some of the tsunami warnings and evacuation points.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have tall buildings declared tsunami shelters. The buildings would need to be at least 5 stories tall and built to withstand the force of the water but it could easily be done as shown in the video I posted.

Post subject: Re: 8.9 M Quake off Japan !!! Tsunami Warning for CA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:58 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

2NAKLLR wrote:
cheapski wrote:
Thanks to Evelyn Taft on KCAL9 I learned a new word tonight: "Seiche". Apparently Marina del Rey and another harbor reported them at 7:50 PM. I'm still hazy on what exactly they are though.

I've witnessed it on Lk Michigan and also much smaller Mille Lacs lake in Minnesota. At the time it was just wind driven water sloshing back and forth, w/o the fancy name.

Bump

https://articles.mlive.com/weather/inde ... che_ca.amp

Pretty interesting a thunderstorm outflow flooded W MI today. Witnesses said the skies got real dark, the wind came up, the swell grew, 5 large set-like waves pushed a hundred ft inland while it tstorm and hailed.
Thats weather.
"Real wrath of God type stuff."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:37 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I cant believe you found this thread to dredge up, but check out the water rise from that incident. Its pretty amazing how quick it was.
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/201 ... etely.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24