Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Surf's Up Brah!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:04 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Hit Uppers today. Very fun. Contest starts tomorrow at Lowers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:37 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I stopped by The Wedge today. Some rare double overhead waves. Most weren't anything close to that. Not epic by any means but it looked like the regulars were having fun. I shot some pics but haven't transferred them to my laptop yet.

I'm planning to check out the contest one or two days. Hopefully the swell will hold.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:50 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Big Wednesday, Marie swell
Had to decide a. surf (and possibly drown) b. photo op wedge or c. photo op newport pt

8am @ the wedge

yep he made it out

caption contest...

Marie swell messed up the sandbars in huntington. The swell gouged the inside and deposited the sand further out. Its funny you’ll see group of guys sitting outside for mushburgers and another group catching the inside dumpers….at low tide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:05 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

bombtripper wrote:
caption contest...

How about "c-ya, wouldn't want to be ya!"
That was a good day, I was there to watch some of the afternoon sets.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:01 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Big waves from Pam heading to SoCal next week. Looks like potentially epic surf for the Wedge.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:54 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Pam turned extratropical...im not sure it'll b epic size for the wedge though. Active south pacific...good run of south w more on the way.

Unfortunately for me I'm out of the lineup 6-8 weeks w a fractured left clavicle suffered today. Can't take quality photos either for the time being.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:49 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Another solid south swell hitting SoCal. Pics of the Wedge were pretty impressive. Supposed to peak tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:00 am 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Where do you usually surf during the big South swells SnS???

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:19 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I don't surf anymore since I injured both shoulders wakeboarding. Now I'm just a spectator - today at the Wedge.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:27 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Bummer about your shoulders dude. I know all about bad shoulders. I was a competitive swimmer and started surfing when I was 13. For many years I surfed everyday and it took a toll on my shoulders. Then I was riding with Bombtripper on a spring day at MMSA, we were coming down from Dave's and it got really thin and the dirt threw my down onto my left shoulder. It was messed up for the longest time, I couldn't even swim. It finally got better and the next winter I was riding the trees at June and a branch sticking up caught my binding and spun me around into a tree. Right shoulder this time. Both my shoulders are kind of messed up but I won't go under the knife. And the strongest thing I take is Advil. I can still surf though, I just pop a couple of Advil and paddle.

On big Souths I used to like to surf The Hole in Surfside. That place would go off sometimes. But if there was a good West or Northwest running at the same time all the beach breaks in HB would be firing.

My kids live a mile up Golden West St. in HB and all 7 of my boards are stored there. From 6'4" to 9'6" but I mostly ride the 9'6" now.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:38 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Do you happen to have a shop/shaper recommendation? I'm shopping for a board for smaller days right now. It's been a long time since I last bought a board and I was SHOCKED at the prices these days. The last board I bought was a bro deal and got it for around $250. The bit of shopping I did over the w/e driving along PCH, everything was STARTING around $700 :o .

This place was pretty cool, and I always like supporting the local guys;
http://www.seventhwavesurfshop.com

Looking at either a wide-ish thruster or a fun shape from them. Don't know if I can get myself to buy the fun shape - definitely can't do a log. Might make a trip up to my old stomping grounds on the Central Coast - boards were always more reasonably priced up there since they are selling to a less affluent market (plus I really want to go back up there).

I usually surf @ Magnolia but will go out @ Sunset Beach if HB is closed out.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:46 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

I rode boards shaped by Jeff "Doc" Lausch for many years. He will shape you exactly what you ask for. He is the owner of Surf Prescriptions.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:46 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

OGT I grew up south of San Diego so that's mainly the beaches I hit - IB, Coronado, etc. Coronado could hold the bigger swells pretty well depending on the direction. Later I moved up the coast to Encinitas and started hitting Torrey Pines, Seaside, the La Jolla reefs and occasional trips farther north to Oceanside, Trestles, and San Clemente. Of course that was long before the Internet and Surfline pinpointed where the best breaks would be. Not being able to paddle anymore is a real bummer. I wonder if I could SUP but I haven't tried it. At least I can still snowboard and take pics so that's something.

Pics from yesterday at The Wedge. Pretty big not epic, looked like the swell was dying and the wind was blowing way too hard. I think the angle needed to be another 5 to 10 degrees west for the classic Wedge A-frames. Surprised to see so many whales in really close to the beach there.

It was blackballed until 5 so when I got there only a few bodysurfers in the water not catching many waves and really none of the big sets. Way more interesting to shoot the surfers and bodyboarders later.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:56 pm 
Climax
Climax

boarddad wrote:
Do you happen to have a shop/shaper recommendation? I'm shopping for a board for smaller days right now. It's been a long time since I last bought a board and I was SHOCKED at the prices these days. The last board I bought was a bro deal and got it for around $250. The bit of shopping I did over the w/e driving along PCH, everything was STARTING around $700 :o .

This place was pretty cool, and I always like supporting the local guys;
http://www.seventhwavesurfshop.com

Looking at either a wide-ish thruster or a fun shape from them. Don't know if I can get myself to buy the fun shape - definitely can't do a log. Might make a trip up to my old stomping grounds on the Central Coast - boards were always more reasonably priced up there since they are selling to a less affluent market (plus I really want to go back up there).

I usually surf @ Magnolia but will go out @ Sunset Beach if HB is closed out.

Try Shawn Ambrose. Shaps in-house.
http://www.ambrosesurfboards.com

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:04 pm 
Climax
Climax

Try Shawn Ambrose. Shaps in-house.
http://www.ambrosesurfboards.com

Thanks Larry.

Pic by Cozad last Sunday at the wedge, this guy has been ripping a long board at the wedge the last few big swells we peddled down to = BALLS

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next