Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: The High Speed Rail boondoggle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:06 am 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Corcoran, Ca

I guess they don't approve

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:14 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I just saw an ad on TV for some guy named "Neel Kashkari". Apparently he's running for governor. I laughed when he talked about cutting projects and said "First to go: Governor Brown's Crazy Train". :D

http://www.neelkashkari.com/first-tv-ad-ax/

I don't know anything about this guy but I agree with him about the crazy train!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:28 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Amazing how this has become a front runner campaign issue.

Jerry has gone nuts! He made some real Alzheimer like statements about the marijuana issue.

He seems to be running about 50/50 these days and a far cry from where he came from. They should have done that speed train in the 60s when Japan was doing it. Too much money and too much hassle now.

I wouldn't elect the dude on the TV commercial based on this one issue like he hopes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:59 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

This, barely mentioned in yesterday's SFGate, maybe not at all in the LA Times;
[urlhttp://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Bump-at-pump-in-January-to-help-speed-bullet-5538049.php][/url]
Quote:
California drivers are going to see a bump at the pump starting Jan. 1 - with a good chunk of the money going to kick-start Gov. Jerry Brown's struggling high-speed rail project.

Reason: Starting next year, tailpipe emissions from cars and trucks will come under California's cap-and-trade program, which is designed to reduce greenhouse gases.

The result will probably be increased costs to gas wholesalers, who in turn will pass them along to drivers.

Estimates on the price vary. Industry insiders are predicting a jump of 15 to 20 cents a gallon, while clean-air advocates say it may be less.

"The best guess at this point is that it is not going to go up much over 12 cents a gallon - but it definitely won't go down," said Severin Borenstein of the University of California Energy Institute.

Rough estimates have the gas money amounting to $2 billion to $3 billion a year, according to state Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, chairman of the Senate's budget committee.

Brown wants a third of it to shore up funding for the proposed bullet train from Los Angeles to San Francisco. The rail project is facing a court challenge because it lacks a steady source of money.

State Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento, is proposing a long-term plan that would devote 15 percent of the gas cap-and-trade revenue to high-speed rail.

Either way, the remaining billions will be split between other transit operations, clean-energy and water projects, and a fund to build more affordable housing and "sustainable communities" along transit corridors.

With history as a guide, I would say 15-20 cents increase is a MINIMUM. Probably more like 50 cents, and this to what are already the highest gas prices in the continental US. Cap-and-tax...err...scam...err..."trade" is going to bury CA if it isn't stopped, and will do N-O-T-H-I-N-G to curb so-called greenhouse gasses. You have to love how the DEMs are falling all over themselves trying to spend every dime before it even comes in. Even at the estimated 2-3 billion generated per year, we still won't see the principal, let alone interest, paid off of the high speed fail bonds for +20 years. Keep in mind, Brown is only demanding 15% of that estimated figure. I would say Kashkari has a very good chance against Brown if he can just explain to the CA voters just what this is doing to our state. :-x

Yeah, I know, "look at the shiny train!" will probably still get more votes. Go figure...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:33 am 
Rodger's Ridge

^^^ that's outrageous! Hopefully it's the tipping point and Californian's finally say ENOUGH!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:36 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

outrageous. too bad most California voters live with their head in the sand.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:55 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
^^^ that's outrageous! Hopefully it's the tipping point and Californian's finally say ENOUGH!!!

Don't count on it ... at this point, it is literally a runaway train.

At this point, about the only sure way to stop it would be a public ballot initiative.

But wait ... someone will mount a legal challenge, and Gov. Brown will refuse to defend it. And since the Supreme Court recently made it near impossible for anyone but the government to have standing to defend the initiative, it will die on the vine.

I don't so much object to public transportation projects. I think we need them. I just think that this one ... the California Bullet Train ... has "useless boondoggle" written all over it.

We get the government we deserve.

*sigh*

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:11 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Keeping the thread going. We should have a money spent counter.

In a 3 to 2 vote late Tuesday morning, the Fresno County Board of Supervisors voted not to support the California High Speed Rail project.

http://abc30.com/politics/fresno-county-board-of-supervisors-withdraw-support-of-high-speed-rail/226534/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:39 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Well this is disturbing. Select quotes bolded for comedy;
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Appellate-court-overturns-high-speed-rail-rulings-5661266.php
Quote:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A state appellate court on Thursday overturned two lower court rulings that had stalled funding for California's $68 billion bullet train, handing a big win to Gov. Jerry Brown's signature project and allowing the state to resume selling bonds to pay for it.

The court overturned rulings by Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Michael Kenny last year in which he said the high-speed rail project no longer complies with the promises made to voters in 2008 when they approved selling nearly $10 billion in bonds. In siding with Kings County and Central Valley landowners, Kenny invalidated the sale of $8.6 billion in state bonds and ordered the California High-Speed Rail Authority to write a new funding plan.

Attorneys for the plaintiffs had argued that the state failed to identify all the funding for the first full segment of the rail line in the Central Valley, a cost of about $26 billion, and instead had found just $6 billion to pay for construction. They also argued the state did not have all the necessary environmental clearances as voters were promised.

But the three-judge panel said it was up to the Legislature to decide if there was enough detail in the draft funding plan lawmakers received before they approved the first phase of the planned 800-mile rail line in 2012. That allowed the state to begin selling bonds for construction of the first 130-mile stretch and tap $3.3 billion in federal matching funds.

The judges also urged that deference should be given to a state finance committee that considers state bond sales, saying they could not find any legal precedent for "the trial court's highly unusual scrutiny of the finance committee's determination that it is 'necessary or desirable' to grant the authority's request to authorize the issuance of the bonds."

Dan Richard, chairman of the board that oversees high-speed rail, said officials are committed to "building a modern high-speed rail system that will connect the state, precisely as the voters called for when they passed Proposition 1A."

The appellate panel acknowledged there are legal questions about whether the project complies with promises made to voters about the financing and environmental review of the project, but it said those questions were beyond the scope of its ruling.

"Substantial legal questions loom in the trial court as to whether the high-speed rail project the California High-Speed Rail Authority seeks to build is the project approved by the voters in 2008," they wrote. "But those questions are not before us."

Stuart Flashman, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said the ruling "sends a really terrible message to Californians about whether they can trust what's on the ballot." He had argued that the requirement for a valid funding plan would not have been included in the ballot measure if it was not paramount to protecting the public interest.

"What this says, essentially, if I was your average voter and I was looking at a ballot measure, I'm going to vote no," he said. "I don't care what they promise me, I don't believe it."

The California High-Speed Rail Authority has said that while the state money is tied up, it is spending the federal funds for pre-construction work that includes engineering, surveying and acquiring land along the first 28-mile segment from Merced to Fresno. Attorneys for the state argued that it was premature for the plaintiffs to ask for an updated funding plan because no state money was being spent yet.

The landowners also argue that the compromises made to bring the price tag for the package down to $68 billion — namely, using a "blended approach" in which the high-speed trains would share tracks with other rail lines in urban areas — will make it impossible for high-speed rail to meet with the travel times promised to voters in 2008.

In essence, the court has refused to weigh in on the legality of what is being built vs. what was voted on - that determination is left to the (heavily biased, (D)) legislature. Let me guess, they never read it and thay won't know what's in it until the money is spent?

Just like my Great-Grandma always said, you don't get something for nothing and if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:24 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/oct/15/california-high-court-declines-appeal-of-rail-case/

"High Court clears bullet train but hurdles still remain"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:35 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

and the boondoggle continues...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:58 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

CA Supreme Court decision puts the caboose before the engine
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/oct ... taxpayers/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:50 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

It's no surprise that Gov Brown easily won reelection. Now in his last term he'll try to ensure the HSR gets built since he sees it as his legacy (among other things like the massive delta water project). Problem that Brown faces now is that Congress is controlled by Republicans and they aren't likely to support this boondoggle. It could be VERY tough for California to get Federal money for the project and without Federal money the project has little chance of being funded.

Maybe the failure to get it built will end up as Brown's legacy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:46 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
It's no surprise that Gov Brown easily won reelection. Now in his last term he'll try to ensure the HSR gets built since he sees it as his legacy (among other things like the massive delta water project). Problem that Brown faces now is that Congress is controlled by Republicans and they aren't likely to support this boondoggle. It could be VERY tough for California to get Federal money for the project and without Federal money the project has little chance of being funded.

Maybe the failure to get it built will end up as Brown's legacy.

one can only hope !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:05 am 
Rodger's Ridge

LA broke ground on the Purple Line extension along Wilshire Blvd. Amazing that it will take 20+ years to complete and billions of dollars. This first segment is projected to cost $2.8 billion for almost 4 whole miles!

http://www.latimes.com/local/politics/l ... story.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next