Forums
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Tahoe Lowdown
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:26 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

So I now have a season pass for Heavenly, Kirkwood and Northstar. I've never even been to Tahoe in the winter months but am looking forward to riding all 3 hills. We will be staying about 2 miles from the base of Gunbarrel (when we're not in June) and will be making day trips to Kirkwood and Northstar.

Soo, what's the good, the bad and the ugly of these 3 resorts??? May also be looking to carpool from the Mammoth/June area to and from Tahoe, I'm going to have 6 Ski-with-a-friend discounts that I can share too.

Last edited by onegoodturn on Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Tahoe lowdown
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:53 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Kirkwood, Hope Valley and vicinity is my favorite place in the world next to the Eastern Sierra! Its as beautiful in Summer, Fall and Spring as it is in winter. Kirkwood Ski Area has a "down to earth" vibe similar to June Mountain but with a few more people. Love everything about that place! Can't think of any downside. Have fun!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:19 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Now you are in my country and that of Zephyr.

I learned how to ski at Heavenly. We used to go over to Jerkwood all the time.

I tell you what, when you are standing on top on a pristine winter morning looking down at the Lake, it is too much! It is also cool to ski Heavenly North and check out the Nevada side.

Those areas in Alpine County are considered to be a part of the ES.

Over the years I got to work on a lot of the trails around those ski areas like Thunder Mountain behind Kirkwood.

My first trip into Hope, Faith and Charity Valley was in 1955 as a five year old kid. I no longer recognize the place, because so much has changed and too many people invaded.

Tahoe is a mess. They even had Pioneer Trail closed-the idiots. It is not a place you want to be on holidays.

There are some real nice parts to it, you just have to learn how to get around. There is so much going on it is dazzling. The number of restaurants and stores is phenomenal. And of course the partys at Harveys.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:40 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Heavenly can be amazing on a powder day but otherwise you'll probably hate it. Too many cat tracks and traversing for snowboarders. It's a huge resort with the best views in Tahoe but pick your days. Kirkwood is incredible and my favorite Tahoe resort. Northstar is just okay, lots of groomers and some fun little parks. Wouldn't be my first choice. In that part of Tahoe I definitely prefer Squaw and Alpine Meadows over Northstar.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:10 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
Heavenly can be amazing on a powder day but otherwise you'll probably hate it. Too many cat tracks and traversing for snowboarders. It's a huge resort with the best views in Tahoe but pick your days. Kirkwood is incredible and my favorite Tahoe resort. Northstar is just okay.

I'll take your word for it SnS, but when I was hiking up towards the top of Heavenly a week ago it kinda looked like I could get around just fine. I liked the views at Kirkwood too, that valley is amazing..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:13 pm 
Climax
Climax

As a skier I love Heavenly, but I forgot you are a snowboarder you may like Northstar better. The trick at Northstar is to get a good parking space. I used to have a plan of attack for that but I haven't been there in a couple of years so I forgot. But Northstar has a lot of warming huts and friendly terrain. Heavenly has a ton of terrain and is fun but you will have to find a good path for snowboarding as there is a lot of traverses.

... You have to have a real love of your sport to carry you through all the bad times, you still want to ski even when things aren't working. You must have a commitment to work hard and to never give up. - Nancy Greene

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:26 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Some of the best terrain at June takes a bit of skateboarding so I'm kinda used to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:38 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Heavenly is very much like June or 5 Junes. Mott is pretty fun but very little really challenging terrain. Place gets more crowded than Mammoth for sure.

Kirkwood is rad. Coolest and gnarliest joint in Tahoe.

Flatstar.... Don't dig it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:36 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

I am not a fan of the layout at Heavenly - great views, however. So long ago that I skied Northstar, can't remember much of it. But agree, Kirkwood can be a lot of fun. I hit it on a stormy day and had such a blast. Have said ever since then, "I gotta get back to Kirkwood someday".

Last edited by RatherBeSkiing on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:03 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

The sidecountry at Kirkwood is awesome ... one of my friends does these insane boot packs over there. Fresh powder for days. It would be heaven on a split.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:26 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Cool OGT - maybe we can get some turns in together this year since I also have a Tahoe pass..
The main thing I would say is don't underestimate Heavenly, lots of fun there. Kirkwood is goodness with many ability levels and Northstar is also fun and worth a visit or two..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:07 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

OGT

Welcome to the world of " V " . I agree with Skien, I like 'em all. I do go to Northstar a lot, so it is my home mountain.
I think we should all meet up this season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:43 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Northstar.....and way in the distance is Diamond Peak.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:46 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I've never been a big fan of Heavenly or Northstar, but I absolutely LOVE Kirkwood. They always get a ton of snow, higher elevation so the snow is drier, and the natural bowls/tree skiing there is fantastic. Last time I went to Tahoe I boarded 8 days straight and 3 of those were at Kirkwood. My favorite north lake resort is Sugar Bowl!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:21 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

bretfarewell - I agree on Sugar Bowl, though, I have not been there in a year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next