Forums
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soccer Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:54 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Yeah, that was a tough loss. All that travel and having to play in the jungle along the way certainly didn't help. I had thought that Germany and Argentina were a class above but they certainly didn't show it in the round of 16. Still wouldn't want to play them in the knock-out rounds. Germany - France is going to be a hell of a game.

Sticking with Germany as my pick to win it all...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:13 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Im w ride. Columbia has looked consistently best.
Going to miss the Friday match. Heres to both teams losing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:25 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

i dont know much about soccer but what i know is that the Europeans are not fairing well in this Brazilian weather!

My pick for final 4

Brazil, Germany, Netherlands and Argentina

Finals:
Brazil v Argentina (again i am picking the South American teams to do well in this weather).

Some how i think Argentina wins.....again i dont know much about Soccer, errr i mean Futbol :*

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:51 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Honestly no team has impressed me to the point I'd say theyre the favorites. Any team can win it at this point, even CR, Col, and Belgium. If the WC wasn't in Brazil, they wouldn't even be in the discussion for winning it all.
Was at Ger-Alg, one of the more frustrating games to watch. Alg playing everyone behind and just playing long ball to try and speed past the Ger defense. Yes, the back 4 is slow, but with Neuer in goal you have to play the absolute perfect ball for him to not get out there and clear it.

Hopefully Loew will put Lahm back at RB and Khedira at CDM against France. Also, Hummels should be back to pair up with Mertesacker in the middle to give a big boost to the defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:44 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

In hundreds of years of soccer history, has a half or game (etc) ever ended where there was a shot that went in but it turned out it came a hair too late? (We know that happens in basketball and hockey all the time, and a variation of that happens in football all the time.)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:07 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

ShiftyRider wrote:
In hundreds of years of soccer history, has a half or game (etc) ever ended where there was a shot that went in but it turned out it came a hair too late? (We know that happens in basketball and hockey all the time, and a variation of that happens in football all the time.)

Well the game stops whenever the ref wants it to so they won't call it when there's a shot on its way towards the goal. I did hear of one instance a while back when a player shot the ball from deep and the ref called it not knowing it could go in, not sure what game it was, probably some 6th division game in some random country.

But basically the answer is no. Some get upset when you get a corner, but the ref calls the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:25 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

That is absolutely wonderful!

It's too bad basketball and hockey and football don't switch to that format. The fans would enjoy the games so much more. When I buy tickets, I always check to see whether one of my favorite refs will be calling the game -- otherwise I just don't go -- but it would be great if they had more power to influence the outcome, like soccer!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:10 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Absolutely Mr. Rider, it would be great to do away with the foul lines in baseball. Let the umps decide what's fair or foul, it would definitely make the game more fan friendly.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:48 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

When they say four balls is a walk, I have to wonder if that's truly what Abner Doubleday intended. Say the first pitch* is a foot outside, but they're getting closer and closer to where the fourth is only an inch outside. That, my friends, is a pitcher who is about to throw a strike. Let him keep trying...

* perhaps we need to do away with that terminology too

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:34 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:37 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

2NAKLLR wrote:
You just can't sit and defend that long. 1st half of aet was bad. US was gassed, but they showed some heart in the second. Belgium ain't playing that good. I wasn't impressed w/ Zusi. He was wearing lead boots today. Yetlin put some great runs in w/ super crosses. No one home to receive them.

Hey WZ, you going to add anything to the discussion or just post pix of your boyfriends?

:x :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:15 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

I can hear the Brazilian tears falling from here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:40 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Damn that was a national embarrassment! I expected a close tough game but instead it was over just a few minutes into the game. Yikes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:53 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Going deep inside the Kremlin ... KGB-plotting with Vladimir Puntang..
Games have to still be played out on the field and not just on paper or in sports-book parlors..

Yeah ... what a stunner. What (if anything) will this do to the German team's mindset in going forward?

Gettin' really interesting now, as the elimination-pool dramatically shrinks of those still in contention.

Argentina? Netherlands? ...

The WC-view from London:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next