Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 958 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soccer Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:11 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

boarddad wrote:
Not sure the US saw Germany with their foot fully on the gas today, but will certainly take it. I'd say it's Germany and Argentina, then everyone else at this point. Even Brazil has looked sub-par (for them). One thing is for sure; Belgium is not Germany - not even close.

#cautiouslyoptimistic

DANG! And not a dime bet on the tourney - WTH was I thinking?

Who ever thought that 3 of the 4 teams in the Semis would be booed off of the pitch?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:41 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

i just came back to gloat a bit.... 8-)

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:52 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

We are back. 2NAKLLR, I can comment now. I did not want to jinx the German team. Great World Cup. Lots of good matches.

the final was so close, real close, could of gone either way.

Post subject: Help me name my daughter's U10 team!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:19 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Now that the World Cup is over, it's back to AYSO for me - practices started this week. It's ultimately up to the girls, but I'm looking for suggestions for a team name. I want to name the TEAM, not what the players are. I.E., The Fury is good, The Princess Ponies - not so good. Goes without saying, (or maybe it doesn't), the girls are 8-9 - keep it appropriate.

And go!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:42 am 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Maybe just Palomino Ponies, depending on the team color.

I remember in AYSO I was a purple Jaguar. Even at 11, I knew that was a crock.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:03 am 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Boarddad: I've got a name suggestion: The Mint Crushers. The name goes with the green kit.
It was a pleasure to be your referee last Saturday. Whenever I tire of doing snotty teenager games, I head to the U10 fields and enjoy the players' lack of cynicism.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:51 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Actually that IS my team name (Minty Crushers) - so glad it fits.

I was hoping to get a hold of you. I just wanted to thank you for what you did for one of my girls. Giving her the game coin was very cool and she really appreciated it. My team had a rough first game but I got on them about minding their own end and they really put it together.

P.S. - any chance your referee points aren't spoken for?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:10 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

I was being funny about the name: I saw the banner on Saturday. I just forgot the "y" at the end of "Minty."
I didn't give #10 the game coin. She earned it by scoring the first goal of the game.
Your girls just need to watch their attacking line so that they don't get called for offside as often.
I can give you my points for at least the next three games. Do you have anybody helping you out on the referee responsibilities?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:00 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

^ sent you a PM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:48 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Spain and Slovakia in a 2016 Euro qualifier today....👍⚽️🇩🇪

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:40 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

MLS announced that they are folding Chivas. Not really a surprize, things have not been going well for the goat as of late. I always thought it was a bit of an odd premise; it's a Chivas Mexico-owned team, but not THE Chivas, just one kindof like it. If you really are a Chivas fan, why wouldn't you just folow the original Chivas team? Apparently the answer is you would do just that.

I'm also puzzled by the MLS plan. They want to introduce a new expansion team in 2017 - in LA? Why? Wouldn't it make more sense to start a team in San Diego, or Orange County, or Sacramento, or (fill in the "no MLS city")? The Galaxy is doing well but it's not exactly hard to get tickets, so I don't really see the demand. What's more, they want to build a new "soccer specific" stadium. Isn't that what Home Depot Center is?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:49 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

^ it didn't help that they sucked most of the time

i thought it was a cool idea at first, but like you said, i found it was just as easy to follow club guadalajara and never turned back.

mls is pretty sad all the way around

freaking club guadalajara is also sucking hard at the moment, though. relegation zone struggling!

that's one of the main reasons behind the end of Chivas USA. the club was struggling and the mexican owner pulled out early this year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... t-work-out

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Well this sortof explains it;
Quote:
Just days after Chivas USA ceased operations following a tumultuous 10 years in operation, MLS added a new team to its roster, the Los Angeles Football Club, or Los Angeles FC because this is America and football’s sort of already taken, so, you know…

Semantics aside, the new club is set to debut in 2017 and it has an interesting — and large — group of owners, including basketball legend Earvin “Magic” Johnson.

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status ... 6208820224

Johnson isn’t new to sports ownership. The former Los Angeles Laker is also one of the owners of the Los Angeles Dodgers. This will be Johnson’s first foray into professional soccer, however. He’ll be joined by plenty of experts in the game, including (via MLSsoccer.com):

•Mia Hamm Garciaparra, U.S. women’s soccer great
•Ruben Gnanalingam, co-owner of the English Premier League’s Queens Park Rangers
•Vincent Tan, owner of the Football League Championship’s Cardiff City and FK Sarajevo of the Premier League of Bosnia and Herzegovina
•Larry Berg, co-owner of AS Roma
•Bennett Rosenthal, co-owner of AS Roma
All of the above, plus the likes of Nomar Garciaparra, former MLB star; Rick Welts, President and COO of the Golden State Warriors NBA team; as well as Allen Shapiro, Chad Hurley, Kirk Lacob, Mark Leschly, Mike Mahan, Irwin Raij, Paul Schaeffer, Brandon Schneider, Jason Sugarman, Tony Robbins and Harry Tsao, will join managing partners Henry Nguyen, Peter Guber and Tom Penn on the new venture.

“Today is day one and time for us to focus on developing a world-class stadium for the club to play in and for fans to enjoy,” Managing General Partner of IDG Ventures Vietnam Nguyen said during a Thursday afternoon news conference. “We believe this team can become one of the most outstanding clubs in Major League Soccer and a globally-recognized brand.”

Who’s looking forward to an LA Galaxy-LAFC derby?

MLS Commissioner Don Garber is!

“Los Angeles is a diverse, vibrant market with millions of soccer fans, and we look forward to an intense rivalry between the Galaxy and Los Angeles Football Club,” he said.

Obviously if Magic is involved it has to be an LA team. Still, I think LA needs a second MLS team about as much as it needs a second NBA team (which is not at all). Why they can't expand the league fan base down to Orange County is really beyond me. I do have to say that, as a SO Cal transplant, it is really impossible for anyone outside of So Cal to understand that it is not just one great big city - Thus LosAngelesAngelesofAnaheim instead of Anaheim Angels, but I think we can all agree that's really stupid too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:26 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

ride395 wrote:
mls is pretty sad all the way around

I have to disagree with you a bit on this one. I think MLS has a solid foothold now especially in places like Portland. the Timbers have a very impressive following and a really cool stadium that sits right on the light rail line. Timbers home games are an event far exceeding what I ever thought it would be.

That said, I stand by my belief that the MLS, and subsequently US National Team soccer has peaked as long as they keep relying on foreign talent to draw fans. At least in LA, the friendlies with international clubs are the most highly publicized matches. I get it; that's the MLS's way of showing that they are as relevant as any of the other worldwide soccer leagues, but IMHO that smacks of desperation and does just the opposite.

Focus on promoting the MLS and the NCAA, draw players primarily from the NCAA and build on that. Otherwise preception is reality; the MLS is just a dumping ground for the players that those other leagues no longer want.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:32 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

A problem is US players max out in the MLS and rarely go further. International "star" players end up going to pasture in the mls. Thats a root issue w drawing fans. No "star" international players at their peak are going to choose the mls.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 958 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next