It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fire season 2017
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:05 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Yesterday, 6/21/17

Crews respond to Diaz Fire southwest of Lone Pine

Quote:
Inyo National Forest fire crews are responding to the Diaz Fire, located along the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada southwest of Lone Pine, at approximately 9,000 feet in elevation.

The fire is estimated to be five acres and is actively burning in steep, rugged terrain. It is burning in mixed conifer and mountain mahogany. There are currently no threats to life or property. However, it is highly visible from the Highway 395 near Lone Pine.

Three engines, one crew and various other overhead resources are responding.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Press release from INF

It was an unmanned Air Force plane.

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/unmanne ... 1be45.html

www.mammothmuseum.org

Post subject: Re: Fire season 2017
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:08 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Firefighters [and atmosphere] knocked the crap outta the Holcomb fire today. Bravo Zulu.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:00 am 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

FIRE!
Cristianitos.
N end of Pendleton/San Clemente. Eddy wind (SE) is pushin fire N toward San Juan Capistrano and smoke n ash over me and the rest of S OC. Its icky out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:24 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Well this was a little close.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:19 pm 
Climax
Climax

^^^Was that the 1/2 acre blaze in LN? That's no fun...
Take it all is ok..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:16 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Probably. It was confined to a "green"-belt area surrounded by houses. It was up to and into some yards but the firefighters were on the spot quick and no structures involved. Helo had a 2min turnaround time.

Im assuming landscape equipment started it as guys were out there clearing the dead mustard which was a fire hazard. The irony.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:19 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Have a friend currently stuck on PCH in Malibu due to a brush fire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:03 am 
Rodger's Ridge

The Schaeffer Fire is now bringing smoke to our area.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5285/

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:31 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Help me out here guys. I'm staying in Sequoia NP near Grant's Grove. We see smoke to the south, but looks to be a safe distance away. WiFi sucks here so I can't even pull up the Cal Fire map. Any news I should be aware of?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:24 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Boarddad Cal Fire has a fire to your west outside of Fresno /Clovis but that's it. Certainly doesn't appear to be a threat to Sequoia NP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:19 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Back from Sequoia now. That was weird - we definitely saw smoke - looked to be maybe even south of the park proper - I was guessing the Kernville area. The next day - nothing. As for Sequoia; boy have the bark beetles done their thing! Lots of dead trees, but then that hasn't changed from last year. What has changed is that the area got some real storms over the winter and a lot of the dead trees got blown over. I've never seen that many felled trees that weren't part of a logging operation. That must have been quite a sight during the storm.

Sequoia seemed hot until we drove home - 110 in Bakersfield :sweat:, and we haven't felt comfortable since we got home thanks to the humidity. I don't think I've ever seen so many broken down cars on the Grapevine. Can I haz winter back, please?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:09 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Potentially dangerous fire this afternoon near Lakeside in San Diego east county area. They immediately called for major air support and they're dropping both water and retardant.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:54 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

boarddad wrote:
Back from Sequoia now. That was weird - we definitely saw smoke - looked to be maybe even south of the park proper - I was guessing the Kernville area. The next day - nothing. As for Sequoia; boy have the bark beetles done their thing! Lots of dead trees, but then that hasn't changed from last year. What has changed is that the area got some real storms over the winter and a lot of the dead trees got blown over. I've never seen that many felled trees that weren't part of a logging operation. That must have been quite a sight during the storm.

I hope that they allow loggers to come in and remove those trees. They did not log the bark beetle damage and standing dead trees in Utah (dixie national forest) and the fire that ensued last month was disastrous. HUGE. 71,673 Acres.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:59 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

FreshPow wrote:
I hope that they allow loggers to come in and remove those trees. They did not log the bark beetle damage and standing dead trees in Utah (dixie national forest) and the fire that ensued last month was disastrous. HUGE. 71,673 Acres.

are trees killed by bark beetles even usable as a source of lumber? I don't think they are - maybe if you get them early enough. I'm guessing the environmentalists have determined that it is more environmentally friendly to leave the dead wood where it is. There is a rule against using power saws in Sequoia NP, so any felled trees that are cut must be done using old-timey hand saws. Needless to say, the FS is only cutting trees that are blocking roads and trails, and are even leaving some of those strategically to limit vehicle access.

As tragic as it may seem, the only thing that seems to control the bark beetle infestation is fire. Dixie will come back and be better for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:04 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

boarddad wrote:
are trees killed by bark beetles even usable as a source of lumber? I don't think they are - maybe if you get them early enough.

I don't think lumber. Firewood? pulp? There were many trees removed from bark beetle damage some years back, but I don't know what they did with the dead wood.