Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mexico City quake 7.1M
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:31 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Lots of scary video on social media of buildings collapsing and other damage.

@the_friedz 3h3 hours ago
Footage from my nephew in #CDMX #MexicoCity of today's #earthquake
https://twitter.com/the_friedz/status/9 ... 6297136128

@PacoVillagrana 3h3 hours ago
7.1 earthquake footage from tourist attraction #Xochimilco in #MexicoCity #CDMX #Sismo #Terremoto #Temblor
https://twitter.com/PacoVillagrana/stat ... 8498691072

@abcdaee198 3h3 hours ago
Moment in which housing building collapses #CDMX #CDMXporMexico #USA #TerraTues #TuesdayThoughts #AlessandroMichele
https://twitter.com/abcdaee198/status/9 ... 0227478529

There's a linked video of that red building falling apart and people running out before the collapse. You know how they say dont run outside because of falling debris? Screw that.

Post subject: Re: Mexico City quake 7.1M
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Just an average cdmx gondola ride con cerveza.
FBlink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:59 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Quote:
There's a linked video of that red building falling apart and people running out before the collapse. You know how they say dont run outside because of falling debris? Screw that.
If you notice how slowly it collapses you'll realize the best thing to do is go up on the roof.
#HopOfLife

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:14 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

ShiftyRider wrote:
If you notice how slowly it collapses you'll realize the best thing to do is go up on the roof.
#HopOfLife

Funny enough ever since I saw the parking garage at Northridge after the quake, I always park my car as high as possible!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:34 am 
Climax
Climax

snowhottie wrote:
ShiftyRider wrote:
#HopOfLife

Funny enough ever since I saw the parking garage at Northridge after the quake, I always park my car as high as possible!

My sentiments as well..remember the guy who was trapped in the sweeper truck when the parking structure collapsed at the Northridge mall.
Honestly street freeway overpasses as well. I went through a few apartment buildings in Northridge afterwards that was some scary stuff. Inspecting in the dark with only flashlight and then the aftershocks would hit; everything creaked and moaned. Everybody just fled leaving everything as it was...
My hats go off to all those rescuers on there bellies and such; talk about Huevos Grande.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:31 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Spirit Tree wrote:
Honestly street freeway overpasses as well.

When the traffic stops and its looking like I'll be stopped under the freeway overpass I get the heebie jeebies.

I remember driving down the 405 after Northridge and I guess the earth settled around each bridge because the car would go BUMP on each one.

I saw a scientist speculate that the offshore earthquake weakened the buildings in Mexico city, then when the next one hit it took them down.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:21 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

The Ring of Fire see to be very act - first the earthquakes in Mexico and now Mountain Agung in Bali is expected to erupt soon. Last eruption was 50 years ago and 1,100 people were killed. That was a VEI 5 which is the same as the 1980 eruption of Mt St Helens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:33 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

What we need, here, is to direct North Korea's H bombs into some volcanoes. Yeah.

Quote:
The 1991 eruption of Pinatubo produced about 5 cubic kilometers of dacitic magma and may be the second largest volcanic eruption of the century. Eruption columns reached 40 kilometers in altitude and emplaced a giant umbrella cloud in the middle to lower stratosphere that injected about 17 megatons of SO2, slightly more than twice the amount yielded by the 1982 eruption of El Chichón, Mexico. The SO2 formed sulfate aerosols that produced the largest perturbation to the stratospheric aerosol layer since the eruption of Krakatau in 1883. The aerosol cloud spread rapidly around the Earth in about 3 weeks and attained global coverage by about 1 year after the eruption. Peak local midvisible optical depths of up to 0.4 were measured in late 1992, and globally averaged values were about 0.1 to 0.15 for 2 years. The large aerosol cloud caused dramatic decreases in the amount of net radiation reaching the Earth's surface, producing a climate forcing that was two times stronger than the aerosols of El Chichón. Effects on climate were an observed surface cooling in the Northern Hemisphere of up to 0.5 to 0.6°C, equivalent to a hemispheric-wide reduction in net radiation of 4 watts per square meter and a cooling of perhaps as large as -0.4°C over large parts of the Earth in 1992-93. Climate models appear to have predicted the cooling with a reasonable degree of accuracy. The Pinatubo climate forcing was stronger than the opposite, warming effects of either the El Niño event or anthropogenic greenhouse gases in the period 1991-93. As a result of the presence of the aerosol particles, midlatitude ozone concentrations reached their lowest levels on record during 1992-93, the Southern Hemisphere "ozone hole" increased in 1992 to an unprecedented size, and ozone depletion rates were observed to be faster than ever before recorded. The atmospheric impact of the Pinatubo eruption has been profound, and it has sparked a lively interest in the role that volcanic aerosols play in climate change. This event has shown that a powerful eruption providing a 15 to 20 megaton release of SO2 into the stratosphere can produce sufficient aerosols to offset the present global warming trends and severely impact the ozone budget.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/pinatubo/self/

(I've always been impressed Mt. Pinatubo affected so much)