Forums
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Well here's a bad idea
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:36 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I ran across this story about the failure of the bike share programs in China. Note that all pictures are real, nothing is photoshopped or exaggerated. It is stunning;
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/03/bike-share-oversupply-in-china-huge-piles-of-abandoned-and-broken-bicycles/556268/

Surely this is an isolated case, right? That's just not a mistake that is made more than once. Well, that's what I thought, but then I took a trip to Seattle where they are doing the EXACT SAME THING! It just hasn't failed - yet;
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/seattles-bike-share-pilot-program-ends-this-month-but-the-bikes-are-staying/

BTW - the article reflects the politics in Seattle - quoting that the bikes are used > 2 times per day. That was early on in the program when there were only a couple hundred bikes and they were offering free rides. The reality is reflected in the comments - there are now tens of thousands and the newness has worn off. I saw noone riding them. The bike share companies do a good job in the core areas keeping the bikes in supply, but you can leave them anywhere. The bikes that have made their way out of the core areas are scattered so they could not be found if you really needed one, but are eyesores once left in areas where they are not needed.

Post subject: Re: Well here's a bad idea
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 am 
Climax
Climax

I've seen these Lime Bikes around town here in the vicinity of CSUN. They look like abstract art laying/standing around town.
If people would just put them in designated areas or docks. They are any where they please to be....That's basically how people operate these days.
I guess mainly college students ride them some where like a bus stop, catch a bus and leave the bike there. In one way they are handy for the students.
Probably safer having a person on a bike rather driving a car who is under the influence... especially a college town.
Yes the bike riders don't have helmets.... oh well, probably some disclaimer on the app.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/03/19/th ... explained/
https://www.csun.edu/sustainability/limebike-fact-sheet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:37 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Bad Idea: going to Mexico City and NOT doing the Sunday bike ride up and down Paseo de la Reforma.

P.S. Their bike share system works great. DC has an efficient one too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:22 am 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

"Drive [ride] it like a rental."
I think Amsterdams "find an unlocked bike; ride it" system works too. Locks are for bike owners.

Im patiently waiting for driverless bikes myself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:15 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Spirit Tree wrote:
I've seen these Lime Bikes around town here in the vicinity of CSUN. They look like abstract art laying/standing around town.
If people would just put them in designated areas or docks. They are any where they please to be....That's basically how people operate these days.
I guess mainly college students ride them some where like a bus stop, catch a bus and leave the bike there. In one way they are handy for the students.
Probably safer having a person on a bike rather driving a car who is under the influence... especially a college town.
Yes the bike riders don't have helmets.... oh well, probably some disclaimer on the app.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/03/19/th ... explained/
https://www.csun.edu/sustainability/limebike-fact-sheet

That's by design in Seattle. They want users to spread them around town by riding them to new areas (within some limits that weren't clear to me - or the bikes). Thus no designated place to park them - just on the sidewalk. Needless to say, there have been some pretty creative bike parking spaces. My brother found one on the roof of the place he works - up in trees is pretty popular. Since they are not locked to anything and easily relocated, there is no way to know who left them where. I give them until the end of the year before they end up in a giant pile like the ones in China.

The bike share program in Long Beach is a little more sensible - you have to U-lock them to a designated bike rack when you drop them off. Problem is they are far more expensive than in Seattle and therefore not widely used. Still, if you are from out of the area and want to go for a bike ride it's a great alternative - but not really a replacement for commuting by car or bus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:03 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Ummm, the person that put one in a tree or on a roof is "too clever by half"*. See the beauty of dockless is you get to go exactly where your trip ends, and that solves half the problem. The other half of the problem is you want one exactly where your trip will START so if you make repetitive trips and you're *=dumb you try to "hide" the bike so its GPS doesn't know where it is (hidden by tree leaves) or its next user other than you can't get to it (controlled-access roof).

The Lime Bike computer knows this. The next user is very likely the perp. Give it time but I guarantee this BS parking behavior will be penalized and the antisocials won't have any accounts left.

The other problem that the Northridge article alluded to, is how neighborhoods close to CSUN, CSULB, etc, have "No Parking except for residential sticker" laws and these neighborhoods are kinda determined by walking distance to the college classes. With dockless bike share, way more neighborhoods are affected by daytime non-resident parkers due to a bike's larger perimeter of convenience. To solve that problem by concluding that dockless bike share is bad and to be stopped, is what's called "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:39 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Umm...
Nobody is trying to "hide" the bikes. It's more of a comedy thing - get it?
https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/seattle-bikes-left-in-bizarre-places-share-program-sends-message-to-bad-players/600653735
Once you "park" the bike, the back wheel is locked and you are off the hook. What happens after that is anyone's guess - you don't have to unlock it to move it.

Nevermind that though - the business model is one of two things, probably a combination of both;
1) The bikes are considered disposable - once it gets enough usage it's all profit, so if it ends up in the lake, or up a tree, they take the loss. Considering the bikes have only been out since last summer, I'd venture to guess they haven't reached that "break-even" on any of the bikes - so it's just a loss. Could be these are the bikes that were in the giant piles in China in which case they are already considered a loss.
2) Venture capitalists invest in the bike-share companies, virtually (but not realistically) increasing the value of the bike share company. Since the program was subsidized by the city through the end of last month, there wasn't much risk. If the venture capitalists have any fiscal sense they have gotten out of the game by now. Unless you are still desperately clinging on that pets.com stock you bought (or Enron, or bitcoin, etc) you can see where this is headed.

Bottom line is there is a cost to running the program (bikes don't just climb themselves back out of trees you know), but there is almost no money coming back in. I think I read the break-even was supposed to be 3 hours of use per day, per bike - it's more like 1 hour of use every third day now. That's not going to work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:43 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

2NAKLLR wrote:
I think Amsterdams "find an unlocked bike; ride it" system works too. Locks are for bike owners.

wait no longer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZPNwZex9s

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:06 am 
Climax
Climax

^^^ I see they came up with an idea we can all use. Pbly should be in the weather threaddd...
..and put it in reverse for us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAwL0O5nXe0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:07 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Quote:
Venture capitalists invest in the bike-share companies, virtually (but not realistically) increasing the value of the bike share company. Since the program was subsidized by the city through the end of last month, there wasn't much risk. If the venture capitalists have any fiscal sense they have gotten out of the game by now. Unless you are still desperately clinging on that pets.com stock you bought (or Enron, or bitcoin, etc) you can see where this is headed.
Yes, I can see where this is headed. Dockless sharing. Give it a try and report back.

Me, I'm a venture capitalist too and I'm in. We sat down and realized that if dockless is given a true test and then it fails, we don't have to throw the bikes away. We just reprogram the app, and place some more docks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:10 am 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Skien wrote:
2NAKLLR wrote:

wait no longer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZPNwZex9s

Hup Oranje!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:15 am 
Climax
Climax

"Uber Chief Executive Dara Khosrowshahi announced Monday that his company had reached a deal to acquire Jump, which operates dockless bike-sharing services in San Francisco and the District of Columbia."
http://www.latimes.com/business/technol ... story.html
It costs $2 for 30 minutes of ride time. What happens at 30:01...sure the cc keeps getting charged.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:41 am 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

The wheels lock and you fly OTB. Thats how you know the times up.

Edit I saw the story about Jump. The pic was a dude in a suit riding a Jump bike w the posture of Miss Gulch in Wizard of Oz. Ch5 news head says, "I wouldnt be caught dead on one of those things."
Nice editorial.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Uber bought Jump to shut it down. The short, cheap bike trips were eating into their more expensive, though highly lucrative, short ride-sharing trips.