Forums
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bizarre Encounters With Nature Pt. II
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:51 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

The tarantulas are hiding : )

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:54 pm 
Climax
Climax

^^^^ Lots of things are hiding...
Glad I don't have to report it was soft and squishy.... no more small single track trails till winter.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:24 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

oldhiker, i only have seen one Tarantula in so cal in 37 years. You must be right they hide pretty good ! I once found a 4-5 rattle snake skin in my garden. They hide good too. But now the black widows, they dont hide very well. They show their web and they are pretty easy pickings at night. Still don`t like having so many around. I wish they hid like the tarantulas.
I used to see and hear lots of coyotes but not any more just dozens of rabbits eating my lawn and plants. Hey anyone have a good remedy to get rid of rabbits other than a 22, not allowed here in my hood.
I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. Obviously I`m having trouble getting back to work !
Cheers
Freerider

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:55 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

You must insert genetically altered rabbits that cannot reproduce into the yard. How do you like it when they do a Mexican standoff, and hop over the other one who charges? In my yard there is animal diversity where deer, rabbits, birds and squirrels all mow at the same time. The deer particularly like to stand up on their hind legs seven feet and snatch apples, peaches, plums and whatever else they can eat. You know it is just so wonderful in the animal kingdom.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:10 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Freerider wrote:
oldhiker, i only have seen one Tarantula in so cal in 37 years. You must be right they hide pretty good ! I once found a 4-5 rattle snake skin in my garden. They hide good too. But now the black widows, they dont hide very well. They show their web and they are pretty easy pickings at night. Still don`t like having so many around. I wish they hid like the tarantulas.
I used to see and hear lots of coyotes but not any more just dozens of rabbits eating my lawn and plants. Hey anyone have a good remedy to get rid of rabbits other than a 22, not allowed here in my hood.
I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. Obviously I`m having trouble getting back to work !
Cheers
Freerider

Nature does tend to have cycles and local fauna is very good at hiding because most of them are small enough to do it or blend in well. In addition to the tarantula hawk/ tarantula cycles, we had a cycle with fewer rabbits and then no coyotes for the first time in the 30+ years we've lived here. Now the rabbits are back and we hear coyotes now and then. I don't know if they moved on or succumbed to distemper or some other disease - but they will be back at some point if there are lots of rabbits. Some people use the barn owl boxes but don't put it too close to your house because they are noisy and can be messy. They screech and we used to have one in a palm tree that dive bombed us every now and then - wakes you up! We are lucky enough to have a great horned owl migrate through and hang out on our roof every year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:38 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

FWIW owls don't hunt right near their nests. Ideally you want the owl to live with a neighbor about a half block away.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:04 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

I am the neighbor the owls live with. Every morning they start their who, who, who thing. All night long they are doing their job keeping the rodents at bay. In back of where I live are lots of bears and lions. They swooped down in a chopper last winter and bagged one of the lions. I watched the whole sordid business.

I don't like people removing animals, killing animals, messing with animals, collaring deer and all the other bs.

Looking out the window and seeing some poor deer with the fur rubbed off from some piece of junk radio collar is not my cup of tea.

BLM and all the other govt. agencies need to get their head out their ass, stop altering nature and retire your sorry, lame land management practices, including the wild horse debacle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:06 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

and your dog(s) have never destroyed other animals. give me a break!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:49 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Freerider wrote:
oldhiker, i only have seen one Tarantula in so cal in 37 years. You must be right they hide pretty good. But now the black widows.

I used to see Tarantulas all the time when I would mountain bike in Chino Hills State Park. We would go early in the morning before it got hot and they would be right out on the trail.

As for black widows, get yourself some praying mantis. You can hatch them in your garden and they will kill all the black widows. We used to have lots of black widows at work and we would capture them and pit them against each other in a glass jar. They would fight to the death. One day I brought a praying mantis into work and we put him in with the baddest black widow we had. They eyed each other up for a minute or two, the black widow made a move and the praying mantis reached out and ripped the widows head off in one swift move.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:58 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Hey check it out Spirit Tree - I got me one of those beecones in the back!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:34 pm 
Climax
Climax

^^^ Cool. 8-) Now what's the plan? Wait and see...they will leave. Where they settle down is the question.
When temperature gets cooler they slow down quite a bit and can be manipulated. Just don't breathe on them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:26 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Ya, just wait and observe. Fortunately they are in a kind of back corner and not where people are around. I had been noticing a larger than normal amount floating around the yard lately, now I know why:)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:37 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Whatever happened to those aggro Africanized bees? Did they end up being completely diluted?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:35 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

cheapski wrote:
Whatever happened to those aggro Africanized bees? Did they end up being completely diluted?

That's likely a hive of them above. Best to assume that all wild honey bees in SoCal are Africanized at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:01 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Its been 40 years now. Wouldnt that strain be diluted by now? Yes I'm repeating myself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next