Forums
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MVP room rate not the cheapest?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:47 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

So, I was looking to book some dates at the Village and Juniper Springs. I noticed this year, the MVP rate is not the cheapest rate available. The AAA/AARP rate is the same as the MVP rate and the Internet rate is actually the cheapest.

Is this an error or this correct? If the Internet rate is the cheapest, than why even offer other options? :?: :roll: :x

Post subject: Re: MVP room rate not the cheapest?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:58 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

internet rate is the cheapest because you are doing all the leg work, no employee time required to make a sale. AAA/AARP & Mammoth Club both are generally 10% off.

Some people prefer calling 800-Mammoth or the property directly to book their reservations, and no internet rate is available when booking through a live agent.

Also the internet rate & AAA/AARP is only available during certain time frames, such as when its slow, whereas the MVP rate is almost available year-round.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:39 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I agree, but this is different than previous years. MVP has mostly been the cheapest rate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:02 am 
Climax
Climax

My wife and I were talking this morning. I think, given a lot of the stuff that's going down this season, that we (referring to my family) need to realize that MMSA is willing to lose us as customers in hopes that wealthier customers take our places.

I personally feel this is a really dangerous path they're heading down, because if a middle-class Santa Barbara family who owns their own home can no longer afford to ski at Mammoth, you're putting an awful lot of stock into customers that may opt to fly an hour less and stop at more traditional faux-fur resorts in CO (east coast uber-wealthy).

From SB, flying to Utah is now cheaper, AND faster then a weekend in Mammoth. Cheaper because of the abundant lodging and competetive number of resorts, faster because..well...it's faster. I still love mammoth, and can work around most of this stuff. But my wife has been coming here since she was born with her family, and the locker thing just about has her over the edge. If my wife ever says the family trips to Mammoth are out, then they've lost me as well, and the times I do come, I won't be spending much if anything on the mountain...I'll be camping in my car, staying with friends, and brown bagging. But the spenders? They'll be back home in SB.

Hope this didn't sound too much like whining. I'm just a bit concerned with some of the long term implications of the changes we're seeing this year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:47 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Jbaysurfer wrote:
My wife and I were talking this morning. I think, given a lot of the stuff that's going down this season, that we (referring to my family) need to realize that MMSA is willing to lose us as customers in hopes that wealthier customers take our places.

I personally feel this is a really dangerous path they're heading down, because if a middle-class Santa Barbara family who owns their own home can no longer afford to ski at Mammoth, you're putting an awful lot of stock into customers that may opt to fly an hour less and stop at more traditional faux-fur resorts in CO (east coast uber-wealthy).

From SB, flying to Utah is now cheaper, AND faster then a weekend in Mammoth. Cheaper because of the abundant lodging and competetive number of resorts, faster because..well...it's faster. I still love mammoth, and can work around most of this stuff. But my wife has been coming here since she was born with her family, and the locker thing just about has her over the edge. If my wife ever says the family trips to Mammoth are out, then they've lost me as well, and the times I do come, I won't be spending much if anything on the mountain...I'll be camping in my car, staying with friends, and brown bagging. But the spenders? They'll be back home in SB.

Hope this didn't sound too much like whining. I'm just a bit concerned with some of the long term implications of the changes we're seeing this year.

I completely agree, many of my friends are just as confused about the actions the mountain is doing. What is further concerning is the answers such as "We do these things for a reason". I would love to hear these "reasons" upper management is refering to...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Mikee110 wrote:
What is further concerning is the answers such as "We do these things for a reason". I would love to hear these "reasons" upper management is refering to...

Everybody expects or wants the Mountain to justify their prices. Here's the problem (I know most of you realize this) MMSR is a privately owned company which is not in a regulated market. Therefor they don't have to tell us jack unless they want to. How many times in your life have you seen a price increase in a product from a privately owned company and got an answer for the increase in price? If you get an answer then great but don't expect one from all companies that sell a product to you, the comsumer. Unfortunately that is the reality, we either pay it or don't. It's our personal choice to pay or not, this isn't Obamacare. :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:54 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

aberg38 wrote:
Mikee110 wrote:
What is further concerning is the answers such as "We do these things for a reason". I would love to hear these "reasons" upper management is refering to...

Everybody expects or wants the Mountain to justify their prices. Here's the problem (I know most of you realize this) MMSR is a privately owned company which is not in a regulated market. Therefor they don't have to tell us jack unless they want to. How many times in your life have you seen a price increase in a product from a privately owned company and got an answer for the increase in price? If you get an answer then great but don't expect one from all companies that sell a product to you, the comsumer. Unfortunately that is the reality, we either pay it or don't. It's our personal choice to pay or not, this isn't Obamacare. :P

ObamaCare was ruled unconstitutional ( well the main part of the legislation...)

http://www.latimes.com/health/sc-dc-health-law-ruling-20101213,0,6104025.story

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:28 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

aberg38 wrote:

But it still dosen't explain how come MVP discounts isn't the cheapest or, at the very least, equal to the lowest price. :drunk:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:40 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

^ well here's my answer cause MVP stands for Mammoth Value Pass not Most Valuable Patron. :lol:

Mikee, I know it was in Virginia. I was using it as a reference for my joke. Lets not get political here, as that was not the reason for my mentioning it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:42 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Mikee110 wrote:

ObamaCare was ruled unconstitutional ( well the main part of the legislation...)

http://www.latimes.com/health/sc-dc-health-law-ruling-20101213,0,6104025.story

Warning ... thread jack.

Read it here:

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories ... h-Law.aspx

Thars some interesting legal issues in that ruling. In a nutshell:

1. Congress can only pass laws using powers granted by the Constitution.
2. The Constitution grants Congress the power to regulate interstate commerce, and what is necessary and proper to implement the legislation.

Does that power extend to requiring people to purchase health insurance? The Supreme Court virtually eviscerated the commerce clause during the Depression, finding that almost everything was within Congress' power under the interstate commerce clause. The famous case is Wickard v. Filburn (mentioned in the text) in which Congress' power to regulate interstate commerce extended to a farmer who grew his own wheat for his own animals using seed he obtained from crops he grew on his own property. The Court reasoned that he was affecting interstate commerce because by performing activities entirely IN the state, he wasn't buying seed from out of state, thus affecting interstate commerce. Not the Supreme Court's best moment, IMHO.

Of passing interest at best to most peeps, but first year constitutional law scholars and students will eat this up. Anyway, just thought you all would be interested in what the underlying issue is. :geek:

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:59 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Okay, so I just saw this on the MVP site:

Quote:
To celebrate MVP, we are offering all MVPs an exclusive new deal: 10% off our best lodging rate.* MVPs always get the best price because this lodging-only deal can be combined with other lodging offers and promotions.

So, if the internet and/or the AAA/AARP rate is the cheapest, I should be able to get 10% off that rate. Correct?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:14 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Whatever the cheapest rate quoted on the MM lodging website (including the "deals" section), I get 10% off that.

Here is how - I call the MM MVP hotline and tell them the cheapest rate on the website and then I ask for my 10% MVP discount. Works everytime.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:05 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Thanks, but what's the MVP hotline number? I've been looking for it, but I haven't been able to find it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:46 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

a lot of the places are privately owned and owners can set minimum prices they will accept.
I used to rent but people always want a cheaper rate and ***** when i wont go down on price.

I look at it this way, someone wants to rent my home- it costs me $20/day in utilities at least. Cleaning costs me $85 for my guy to clean one time, i have to pay the city 13% of what ever I get and taxes of 9%+/-.

For a $250 night rental for 2 nights =$500
I have to pay $40 util, 85 cleaning, 116 taxes/city fees = $241.

So i would make $259 for a weekend to take a chance on someone breaking something, stealing or other damages. Is it worth it? Would you let me live in your house without you knowing anything about me for $125 night? No, I didnt think so. lol.
People have a huge investment in their home, especially the newer areas and thanks to them they accomodate people. so sleep in your car if you want, if thats what you can afford, great!. I used to do it in college and i survived. now that i have a job, home etc, I can afford a little more. I think even motel 6 is around $100/ night after all the fees.

there are a few less expensive places in Bishop and also Lee Vining a little further north has a great little place.
Have a great new year! dont freeze in the car, if I see you late, ill bring ya a hot chocate with a little rum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:54 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I couldn't locate the MVP hotline number. So, I called 1-800-Mammoth. I asked for the MVP hotline number and I was told this is it. So, why advertise a dedicated MVP hotline when it's the same number eveyone else calls? :?: :wasntme: :x The Mammoth Marketing department strikes again!