Forums
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Request: Disable avatars, sigs and increase # of msgs/page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:37 am 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Brahm,

Can you enable the phpBB controls in our user control panels to allow us to enable/disable avatars, enable/disable signatures and increase the number of messages per page? The threads get pretty cluttered with all of the extra images/text and it would be nice to be able to choose how much we want to see. Also, 15 messages per threaded page is tiny. Can you give us the option to increase this, potentially to 50 or higher?

Lastly, what happened to the enhancement to spawn new pages/tabs when links are clicked from messages?

Thanks for your help with this.

Post subject: Re: Request: Disable avatars, sigs and increase # of msgs/page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:04 pm 
MMSA Staff
MMSA Staff

nekdut wrote:
Brahm,

Can you enable the phpBB controls in our user control panels to allow us to enable/disable avatars, enable/disable signatures and increase the number of messages per page? The threads get pretty cluttered with all of the extra images/text and it would be nice to be able to choose how much we want to see. Also, 15 messages per threaded page is tiny. Can you give us the option to increase this, potentially to 50 or higher?

Lastly, what happened to the enhancement to spawn new pages/tabs when links are clicked from messages?

Thanks for your help with this.

There is no current option that I have found that will allow you to do any of your suggestions. In regards to a tab enchantment. I believe we discussed this some time back, but if you click a link or tag with the mouse wheel or wheel holding cntrl, it will open up a new tab. It's standard across all websites if your using a browser with a tab'd interface. With that said there is no reason to install a mod so it forces everybody to open up a new tab when they click a link.

(Edit)
(yes we talked about it, and the answer still stands..)

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=688&p=11498#p11498

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:17 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

brahm wrote:
nekdut wrote:
There is no current option that I have found that will allow you to do any of your suggestions. In regards to a tab enchantment. I believe we discussed this some time back, but if you click a link or tag with the mouse wheel or wheel holding cntrl, it will open up a new tab. It's standard across all websites if your using a browser with a tab'd interface. With that said there is no reason to install a mod so it forces everybody to open up a new tab when they click a link.

(Edit)

I know I can just middle click, but I don't want to have to do that. I visit many other forums that use phpBB and none of them are configured that way. Why is this board different? Forcing people to leave the forums when standard left-clicking a link is something you should trying to be avoid, since people are leaving your site to visit the new link. They may not return after doing so.

Here's how you hide signatures:

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... rib_id=615

Here is how you hide avatars:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/4488

What about the number of items per page?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:13 pm 
MMSA Staff
MMSA Staff

nekdut wrote:
brahm wrote:
nekdut wrote:

(Edit)

I know I can just middle click, but I don't want to have to do that. I visit many other forums that use phpBB and none of them are configured that way. Why is this board different? Forcing people to leave the forums when standard left-clicking a link is something you should trying to be avoid, since people are leaving your site to visit the new link. They may not return after doing so.

Here's how you hide signatures:

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... rib_id=615

Here is how you hide avatars:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/4488

What about the number of items per page?

Nekdut,

While I appreciate your feedback and will take the mods under consideration. I will not blindly install mods onto our forum/server, or drastically change the way the forum functions based on a single request. Please understand that we provide this forum for you free of charge. There is a viable option (clicking the mouse wheel) to open up a link in a new tab/window. If you choose not to use said options, that is your choice.

Thank you again for your feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:43 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

i would love to see more posts per page of thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:17 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=95&p=866#p866

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:53 am 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

hide avatars: I hope that works...

http://mammothsnowman.com
http://discovermammoth.com