Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello and Questions!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:10 pm 
Sesame street
Sesame street

Hi, my name is Wendy and I am very interested in learning more about Mammoth and the area.

The important questions involve the mountain and the ski season... and the snow of course! I am a major ski fanatic and am looking to possibly relocate to somewhere with a longer/better ski season than the one I currently have here in MT. I am pretty sure your season lasts much longer than ours.

So, how is your snow? Is is soft and fluffy or cement? I looked at a zillion pictures and don't see much in terms of real tree skiing. Is there any? I ski in the fog most days here, but they advertise tons of sunshine there, is that true?

Housing and jobs??? Easy to find or not so much? Especially if you want a job w/health insurance... What town do most people who wish to ski 6 days a week live in? How bad are the lines?

I could probably go on all day with the questions... but I'll stop here for now!

Many thanks! :)

Post subject: Re: Hello and Questions!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:44 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Snow quality at Mammoth varies dramatically. It can be heavy cement or light powder. On average I doubt it's as light as Montana's. Each winter seems to have it's own personality with some years tending to have colder drier storms that result in more light powder. Other seasons, such as El Nino years, tend to be warmer with more heavy wet "Sierra Cement" snow. No way to know ahead of time.

Sunny days? Absolutely! Mammoth tends to be off or on meaning it's either stormy or it's clear. Because the top of Mammoth is high and exposed it can be windy. As in hurricane force winds windy. Not just breezy. 180mph? Yep. 110? Not uncommon. But that's usually when a storm rolls through. It could be that windy one day and a perfect calm bluebird day the next. Often in Mammoth you'll get more wind affected snow after a storm - which can be really fun to ski/board. There's *some* tree skiing in Mammoth but that's definitely not what it's famous for and there are no beautiful aspen groves like you have in Utah. If tree skiing is an important feature then Mammoth, and really California, isn't your best choice.

The season lasts a LONG time in Mammoth. About 10 years ago the mountain opened on Oct 21st and closed on July 4th. In general the mountain opens around the 10th of November and closes on Memorial Day or later. Average snowfall is over 30 feet per season. It's generally not as cold as Montana. A really cold night in town is -10F. That's not too common though. Typical low temp in town in maybe 0 to 10F in January. It's colder on the mountain of course. If you like playing in the park then you'll love Mammoth. There's also a ton of backcountry in the area. When you asked "How bad are the lines?" if you're talking about lift lines then it's not a problem except on a powder day when people are waiting for the top to open. Well then and holiday weekends. In general lines aren't an issue at Mammoth since many of the lifts are modern high-speed quads. The worst lines you'll find are at the Vons grocery store over Christmas!

Mammoth isn't a big town so housing options are limited. It is easier to find housing if you come in late summer before the seasonal people arrive. Jobs are typical of what you'd find in any ski town. There are plenty of jobs but of course many of them are minimum wage or slightly higher and don't offer benefits. Just depends on what skills and experience you have. Other people such as Sierra Lady can offer more information on housing and jobs since she's a long time resident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:17 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Hi Wendy! For trees you would have to venture further south to Mt. Baldy. Mammoth does happen to be the telemark capital of the western world, so there's that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:59 pm 
Sesame street
Sesame street

Thank you for the responses! :)

In all honesty is isn't that cold here in MT. We get maybe 1-2 days near or below zero for the entire season. Not too bad, most days are 25 degrees and foggy, which is why I learned to ski the trees! But after most of my life skiing groomers (I was from the east coast) when I moved to MT and discovered both the fog and the trees, a groomer day just seems boring to me now!

So, what happens there when the winds are howling? No skiing????? :cry: Or do they keep the lifts running? We almost never have winds like that, 40mph winds are about the max. I actually don't like it so much when the snow has blown around as you will be skiing on hard pack and suddenly thigh deep in powder and the brakes are on. Of course if it all blew into one rather deep area of goodness that would be good! I am lucky here that I know the mountain so well that I can still usually find hidden stashes of untouched goodness 3 days after a storm.

The bad part about skiing in NW MT is the length of the ski season. We usually open mid-December and close the 1st week of April. Not so much because of lack of snow, but because the forest service dictates when the mountain can be open based on the local Grizzly bears! I think even early Nov-late May sounds like paradise!

Also... are there really 5 guys to one girl??? :makeup: That would be awesome... It is probably 3 to one here, but the local men have a problem with their teeth... or lack of teeth!! :o

I am thinking rather than packing up, that I need to visit there and see the area first, and ski it... and see if it is love at first sight!!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:01 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

ShiftyRider wrote:
Hi Wendy! For trees you would have to venture further south to Mt. Baldy. Mammoth does happen to be the telemark capital of the western world, so there's that.

:rofl:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:46 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
If tree skiing is an important feature then Mammoth, and really California, isn't your best choice.

Completely false, Mammoth has awesome tree skiing and another hill that's nearby has some of the best tree skiing in CA. And the back country around here has the very best tree skiing. It's not that hard to find and if you PM me I'll tell you more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:02 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

OGT have you ever done tree skiing in an aspen grove? Utah? Colorado? Wyoming?

I didn't say Mammoth doesn't have ANY tree skiing since obviously it does. It certainly isn't know for its tree skiing and there isn't a lot of it compared to the open bowls and wide open groomers.

In California my vote for best tree skiing/boarding is Heavenly on a powder day.

Last edited by SurfnSnowboard on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:08 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

I'll take OGT to the best tree skiing spot in the west. NOT CA,OR,WA,MT,NV,UT,WY,CO,AZ, NM. Any guesses. It burned three or four years ago. Lift access, drive back to resort. Aspen groves are overrated.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:10 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Last year one of the kooks on here a promised a snomo ride up the hill for me. I'll wait for you to show me the great tree lines TRM.

SnS, thanks but you just don't seem to know about all the great tree skiing around here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:20 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Okay OGT educate me about all the great tree skiing in MAMMOTH.

The best tree skiing (well boarding) I've had at June was out of bounds. It was fun but it didn't compare to Utah.

So have you been to Utah, Colorado, or even Whistler OGT? What are you comparing the tree skiing in and around Mammoth to?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

josiegroper wrote:
Thank you for the responses! :)
Also... are there really 5 guys to one girl??? :makeup: That would be awesome... It is probably 3 to one here, but the local men have a problem with their teeth... or lack of teeth!! :o

I am thinking rather than packing up, that I need to visit there and see the area first, and ski it... and see if it is love at first sight!!

Yeah, you need to come on out and see for yourself. You will be how surprised you are how different than it is online.

But the trees between 13 and 14 are pretty nice...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:49 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

josiegroper wrote:
So, what happens there when the winds are howling? No skiing????? :cry: Or do they keep the lifts running? We almost never have winds like that, 40mph winds are about the max.

Generally the lower mountain stays open. They try to keep it open as long as possible but there are days when it shuts down completely - but it's not real common.

There's a joke about Mammoth and the lack of girls: How does a 6 become a 10? She moves to Mammoth.

I don't know what the ratio is but it's definitely high. Lots of Australians and Kiwis come over for the season and of course you get a lot of young people that just want to either live the life of a ski bum for a season or two or maybe go to college and ski/board. I haven't seen too many people missing their teeth but I'm sure they exist even in Mammoth :P

The Eastern Sierra is really beautiful with a lot to do besides ski/board. There's more to do in the summer than in the winter even though Mammoth is probably better known as a ski town. If you enjoy mtn biking then you'll love Mammoth.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Hi Wendy and welcome to the forum!

The boyz seem to be doing a good job at telling you about the skiing/riding on Mammoth and June Mountains (http://www.junemountain.com ) so I'll just provide you with two links for the local classifieds. That way you can get an idea about jobs and housing.

Mammoth Times (weekly every Thursday)
http://www.mammothtimes.com/content/classified-listings

The Sheet (weekly every Friday)
http://thesheetnews.com/free-online-classifieds/

The other joke about the women-to-men ratio is: a guy in Mammoth doesn't have a girlfriend, he just takes his turn. :o

Since you've never been here I think it's an excellent idea to come out and try us on for size first. You will probably never want to leave! :D

Good luck!

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:26 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Or.... Fat, ugly and mean? Move to Mammoth and become a Queen.... :rofl:

I wouldnt mover here, it seems everyones teeth are falling out lately... :drunk:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:05 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

"...it seems everyones teeth are falling out lately.."

That is because they are all on crank! They used to be on coke (110) and now they are on crank (220).

Let me tell you what and why. Mammoth is in the high desert and that is why it is warmer than most other places. It is also in the middle of Cali where the big Pacific storms get sucked through when they happen. Mammoth always gets more snow than the surrounding areas, and that is why Dave chose to build there.

Some of the best tree skiing I have ever done was on Mammoth. Some of the best skiing I have ever done, period, is on Mammoth Mtn.

They were wrong about the man to woman ratio. There are 10 guys to every girl. Most of them are losers, so it is doubtful to find a good one.

Mammoth has a bad reputation in the other towns. It is the young, selfish punks that always ruin it for everyone else. They act like nobody else is around. Being from Mammoth is not necessarily a good thing to be.