Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introduction - Mike Miloserdoff, June Lake Advocate
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:02 pm 
Sesame street
Sesame street

I am a low intermediate skier, and am extremely thrilled that June Mountain is once again now open for the 2013-2014 season. I think the mountain caters to a different type of skier than Mammoth; I think June should have it's own marketing campaigns, and totally divorce itself from being the underling marketing topic underneath Mammoth, it deserves to stand on it's own due to its differentiation. I was hoping it was going to reopen, and not close forever due to a change of plans in the 2 year refurbishment.

June is a more low keyed place, great for famillies that would want to ski together, rather hard to get lost from each other during the day. Also great for people who would like to improve by skiing down the same runs multiple times. I like to go down the same runs, think about how I could have improved while on the skilift for another ride on the same run, mentally review the areas of the run I could have done better, etc. The runs AND the lifts are NEVER crowded, you can just about take a camera and stop anywhere along your run down the mountain to take pictures of the beautiful scenery all around you. They have a great halfpipe for snowboarders where you never have to wait to 'board it.

If you've never been to June Lake Village, it's a very affordable place to dine and lodge, don't expect a Chart House Restuarant, but do expect friendly locals who own the motels and eateries who give you quite a bit forthe money outlay. The June Lake village area is about 5 short blocks in the middle of town, with motels, eateries, a general store, enough for a weekend.

My favorite runs are Bodie and Silverado, see http://media.mammothmountain.com/photos ... AP_NEW.jpg Silverado is about 3 miles long, it's a green beginner run, but the nice thing about it is that it has hills, and flats, pick up speed on the hills, and coast on the flats from the speed you picked up on the hills. Bodie is a blue run adjacent to Silverado; a few runs on Silverado, and a few sips out of the flask while on the ski lift along the way, and you're ready for Bodie as a low intermediate!

On a clear day, you can see the mountain range to the east of Mono Lake from the restuarant at the top. My only wish is that they would put in a high speed quad from the parking lot to the lower top of the mountain where the skiing starts. But, you only ride that once a day, so its not too bad. Some of the lifts are older, but for a relaxing day of skiing, without the skiing marathon mentality, you cannot get any better from Southern California by car.

Post subject: Re: Introduction - Mike Miloserdoff, June Lake Advocate
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:56 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Well Mike, you did a fine job with your description of your experience at June Mountain. Believe it or not there was a time when June Mountain had nothing to do with Mammoth. June Lake is successful because it is not like Mammoth and offers that more laid back experience. It has always been that way and makes for a more friendly environment.

The closest thing I can think of that resembled it was the old Sierra Ski Ranch up by Strawberry on Hwy 50.

June Lake also has some of the best ice skating ever when conditions are right on Silver Lake.

It can't be beat for mountaineer skiing with the most outstanding views.

You made the right move. Have fun and enjoy it to the max.

Post subject: Re: Introduction - Mike Miloserdoff, June Lake Advocate
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:09 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Mike have you seen what Rusty said over the last couple of months about replacing J1? I think it's necessary to make the family resort that it needs to be to be successful and sustainable.