Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First time visiting this weekend!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:34 am 
Sesame street
Sesame street

Hi everyone,

I'm going to Mammoth this saturday for a few days with my family. first time there for me. I have two small kids (8 and 6) who never skiied. I know the tube park isn't open until dec. Plus, it'll be nice weather, in the 50's this weekend.

does anyone have suggestions on what we could do while we're up there? is there enough snow around the resort for us to go sledding? they really want to make a snowman too. I'm hesitant about ski lessons since they never seen snow before.

Lastly, the forecast doesn't have any snow while we're there. do we need to still carry chains? we are driving a minivan.

Thanks for any suggestions for us newbies!

Post subject: Re: First time visiting this weekend!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:32 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Welcome nganb!

Well if you and your kids are not here to ski for opening weekend (on some natural snow supplemented with man made snow) there's not a whole lot of outdoor things to do since you're arriving at the end of our quiet Fall season and it's not quite full-on winter yet. Check out the Mammoth Lakes Tourism website for potential activities for your family: http://www.visitmammoth.com/things-to-do/

Stop by our Mammoth Lakes California Welcome Center on the right just before the first traffic light at the entrance to town for activity ideas, free maps and to shop in the nice gift shop/book store. They are open daily from 8-5. You can't really hike above 8,000' now due to snow that fell a few weeks ago. If you brought bikes we have excellent paved bike trails throughout town, but bike rentals have been stored for ski rentals now. Fishing season is still open until 11/15. Jump on our free trolley and ride it around town getting off at places to eat and shop. The ice rink doesn't open until 11/29. I might suggest a drive north through the pretty June Lake Loop then continue north to Bodie Ghost Town since that road (270) is still open and free of snow. (http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/sr270)

You aren't supposed to sled at the resort when it is open for operation, but the kids might be able to build a snowman on the lower section near Chair 11 if they are out of the way of the skiers and snowboarders getting on the lift. You should call Mammoth Mountain Ski Area to ask if this will be okay 1-800-MAMMOTH.

You should always carry chains that fit your vehicle when traveling in the mountains. Weather could be coming in on Monday, Veteran's Day 11/11 so be prepared!

Quote:
CVC 27460. Any passenger vehicle or motor truck having an unladen weight of 6,500 pounds or less and operated and equipped with four-wheel drive and with snow-tread tires on all four drive wheels may be operated upon any portion of a highway without tire traction devices, notwithstanding the fact that the highway is signed for the requirement of those devices and provided that tire traction devices for at least one set of drive wheels are carried in or upon the vehicle.

Enjoy! :)

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:48 am 
Sesame street
Sesame street

Thanks Sierra Lady for the suggestions. Yea, we are coming at a time where everything is in limbo.

Not sure about bikes since it's cold and we have to pack them in the minivan. As for fishing, do you rent a boat and go out to fish or can you fish from the shoreline?

I heard of the ghost town so we may do that.

I may force my hubby to shell out the money to let the kids do a couple hrs of ski lessons so they at least get that experience since there isn't much snow elsewhere. we'll see.

What about yosemite?

at least we'll be staying at a nice place in The Village. It's sad if the kids can't play in the snow. a couple of years ago we went to Big Bear and had the same no/little snow issue.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:53 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

The ghost town (Bodie) is really interesting and easy to walk around. You can also go to Mono Lake on the same trip. Hot Creek geothermal area is interesting and another nice easy hike. Just keep an eye on the kids and stay on the trail.

It's a bit of a drive to get to Yosemite Valley from Mammoth but you can do it in a long day trip as long as Tioga Rd is open. Going up to the Yosemite high country is about an hour drive but it will be chilly up there so be prepared. Be cautious about ice on the roadway in the morning and evening.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:02 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

You're welcome!

Boat rentals are not available any more this season, but you are able to fish from the shore. Choose the sunny side of the lakes otherwise there will still be snow in the shadows.

You may want to call that number I gave you for Mammoth Mountain Ski Area to double check if ski school is even being offered for opening weekend because I'm not certain they will be operating yet. Then you can ask them if your kids are allowed to build a snowman near Chair 11.

As SnS mentioned Tioga Pass has reopened and it is a 45 minute drive north to the east entrance to Yosemite. It would be a full day for your family and it will be much colder at 10,000' so dress accordingly. Mono Lake is also a great suggestion. Stop in at their Visitor Center for more info.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:29 pm 
Sesame street
Sesame street

I think we did stop by Mono Lake..it was some sort of lake on the way from Reno. Bodie's website stated the museum is closed but the town is open. that should be fun for the kids.

I have to check with my hubby if he wants to do the long trip to yosemite. Hot Creek may be better for the kids. Last year, We went up the Bristle Cone forest at 10k altitude. I got a great pic of the kids up there overlooking the valley.

I did call the 800-mammoth about the ski lessons. they do have 1-2 hr lessons this sunday and monday. just have to decide to do it or not (and the rentals and lift) and then i can ask about the snowman.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think we'll have enough to enjoy...if anything, we can just relax in the fresh mountain air on top of the 8050 place.