Forums
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Seasonal mountain pass opening status & campgrounds
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:01 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

We actually ended up getting two spots at Twin Lakes Campground... pretty awesome

We were also told that Cold Water is closed due to pipe issues... Water is non-potable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:07 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Well thats adequate resolution after all that stress.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:26 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

2NAKLLR wrote:
Well thats adequate resolution after all that stress.

No kidding.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:15 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

7/14/17

Quote:
Campgrounds in the Lakes Basin have opened, although there may be some sites that remain closed due to flooding or hazard trees:

Roads open: Convict Lake, Hot Creek Hatchery, Inyo Craters, Lakes Basin, Old Mammoth Rd. to Lakes Basin, Mammoth Creek, Mammoth Scenic Loop, Laurel Canyon.

Roads closed: Reds Meadow Valley Road at Minaret Vista.

Campgrounds open: Crowley Lake (BLM), Convict Lake, Mammoth Mtn. RV Park (private, year round), New Shady Rest, Old Shady Rest, Sherwin Creek, Twin Lakes (first-come, first served, some sites still closed), Coldwater, Lake George, Lake Mary, Pine City, Brown’s Owens River (private).

Campgrounds closed: Agnew Meadows, Agnew Meadows Group, Agnew Meadows Horse Campground, Devils Postpile (NPS), Minaret Falls, Pine Glen Family/Group, Pumice Flat, Pumice Flat Group, Reds Meadow, Upper Soda Springs.

The Mammoth Welcome Center is open 8:00 am to 5:00 pm daily.

Devils Postpile Ranger Station is closed. No estimated opening date.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:18 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

The road up to Minaret Vista opened three days ago. Reds Road remains closed for repairs.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:54 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

oldhiker wrote:
Note to SG - I worked for the USFS in 1978 and 1981. Seems to me that the busses were envisioned as part of the Red's Meadow paving process. Because that's how they were going to prevent too much traffic and speeding after the road was paved. The old dirt road had taken care of that previously. Probably the only one still around that would remember is Bobby Tanner. I know the busses were running in 1981.

Well, let's clarify this. What I said was "The large, heavy buses being used for day use visitors now were not envisioned when the road was paved in 1979." Note that I indicated the buses being used "now." Keep in mind that not all buses are created equal. The buses that were planned for in the late 1970's were the school buses that Quicksilver transportation began using as soon as the shuttle bus system was put in place. The buses being used now are much heavier and have a much higher seating capacity than those that Quicksilver put on the road circa 1980. I can't quote you the difference in axle weight between the two types of buses and I cannot quote you the increased numbers of passengers the current buses are running. I think a good guess on the later would be the newer buses have twice the seats, if not more. In addition the newer buses run at capacity more than the old ones did.

This is not the whole story though. The other factor I mentioned is that as time moved on after the paving the pressure to open the road became greater resulting in having a road bed that was not ready to carry heavy traffic when the road feature in the system. Paving is used to protect the roadbed and to avoid the typical washboarding that occurs on heavily traveled roads, caused by modern, "smooth riding suspension" and people traveling too fast. As engineers often say, the pavement is like the icing on a cake and not the cake itself. The state of California has some of the best roadbed preparation standards in the U.S., resulting in some of the smoothest, longest lasting road surfaces under some of the heaviest traffic loads in the country as well. You can compare the construction of a road and good roadbed construction to painting a house, it is the prep work that is the most important factor, 80% of the work is over by the time you get out the rollers and brushes. The same is true of paving, it is really about the last 20% of the work building a road. The earlier opening and increased weight have combined to accelerate the deterioration of the road.

This is not to say that some extensive engineering was not completed prior to the paving of this road. Some of the engineers and construction/maintenance people on the Inyo when I transferred here in 1988 took me to a number of places along the road that had some substantial work done prior to roadbed construction. None of it is evident now, so it is like the proverbial duck whose quickly moving legs can't be seen on the surface.

I hope this clarifies the what I wrote. As for memory, I didn't rely on it alone, I have a large notebook of data taken from the written logs of the Devils Postpile ranger station as well as pictures, correspondence, calendars and patrol logs kept in the Mammoth Ranger Station. Our own memories are not very reliable, that is why I use written and photographic information instead.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:40 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

SG here. I should add that I'm not completely clear on who first operated the buses when the system was initiated. I don't recall if it was Quicksilver or another company. I do know that when I first rode a bus down the Reds Road in 1983 or 1984 it was on a Quicksilver bus. I remember being a little unsure of the safety of the bus, they were painted a darkish blue color, given how old the bus was, the noises it made and the appearance of the driver. I was also very unacquainted with why the shuttle system was put in place. Yes, I knew it was because there was not enough parking and too many cars on the road. After working on the Mammoth Ranger District for a couple of years I could fully appreciate how much the system has to be in place based on a lot of time in the field and my initial data collection on peak traffic, passenger numbers and a very exact count of the number of parking spaces in the entire valley, more importantly the number of parking spaces at the Rainbow Falls Trailhead as well as the regular and overflow parking areas along the Postpile entrance road. I also logged a lot of traffic control when 200-300 cars would show up at 5:30 when the road opened for day use traffic. Eventually the problem of so many vehicles showing up at 5:30 became so frequent that the shuttle required hours had to be extended. Yup, we had cars backed up to below the main lodge at times just after 5:30 in some holiday periods, 4th of July and Labor Day to be specific. We would let 100 cars go by at 5:30 and then check with NPS employees at the Postpile to see if we could let any more down. It was kind of a 2 out, 2 in; 6 out, six in type of a system. It was highly labor intensive and highly tiring, I can assure you. We had to employ this method on non holiday periods as well, again with increasing frequency as the years rolled on.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:40 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Reds Meadow Rd., shuttle open Friday

Quote:
The Inyo National Forest and Devils Postpile National Monument announce that the Reds Meadow Valley Road will open on Friday, July 21 at 8:00 am.

This road received storm damage after the substantial snowpack from this winter and the subsequent melt-off and flooding.

The forest’s Engineering Crew rebuilt a segment of the road that was structurally compromised and unstable. They placed layers of compacted fill and concrete curbing on the road’s edge to stabilize the road bed. The crew placed concrete barriers and K Rail along other areas where longitudinal cracking was observed to keep vehicles off these cracks to prevent further degradation.

The mandatory Reds Meadow Shuttle Bus will run starting Friday. Only exception vehicles will be allowed to drive into the Reds Meadow Valley. Please visit https://www.estransit.com/routes-schedu ... w-shuttle/ for details.

The Minaret Falls, Reds Meadow, Upper Soda Springs, and the Pumice Flat Campgrounds will openon Friday. Inyo National Forest water systems are being tested for potability, so hikers and campers should bring their own water. Porta potties will be available at Reds Meadow and Pumice Flat Campgrounds. The Reds Meadow Resort and Pack Station is open with camping supplies.

“There has been an impressive amount of work that has gone into getting the road open,” said Jon Regelbrugge, District Ranger for the Mammoth and Mono Lake Ranger Districts. “We ask for our visitors patience while we continue the work to get all services operational.”

The Devils Postpile Ranger Station will be open daily, 9:00 am -5:00 pm. As a reminder, wilderness permits are issued at the Welcome Center in Mammoth Lakes—not at the Ranger Station. Potable water and flush toilets are available at the Ranger Station. The Devils Postpile Campground is not opening this year. Trail crews are repairing the damages on the trail to the base of Rainbow Falls, which will remain closed until work is completed.

The roads in the Reds Meadow Valley are narrow and visibility is limited. All vehicles should use caution on both the Reds Meadow and Devils Postpile roads.

395 REDS MEADOW SHUTTLE OPENING – 2017

The Reds Meadow shuttle is tentatively scheduled to commence operation for the 2017 season on Friday, July 21st. The opening is dependent upon completion of final repairs and preparation work. Once in operation, the shuttle operates from 7:30am until 7:00pm, with the last departure from Reds Meadow Resort at 7:45pm, and will operate seven days/week through September 6th. Further information about the Reds Meadow Shuttle is available at http://www.estransit.com or by calling 760.924.3184.

www.mammothmuseum.org

Last edited by Sierra Lady on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:00 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Just heard from Mammoth that the road to Reds Meadow / Rainbow Falls will open Friday.
I wonder how the fishing is?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:43 am 
Rodger's Ridge

^ Um yeah...posted above...ha!

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:54 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Scouped by S.L 😧

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:47 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

I love shuttles in national lands. It means I dont have to waste half my time retracing my path but can go further on the hike to see more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10