Forums
It is currently Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Death on mtn?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:36 pm 
Broadway
Broadway

While riding up the lifts this past weekend I was chatting with some folks and was told that there was a death the weekend before (Dec. 17/18?) ...did anyone else hear about that?

I didn't get much in the way of details other supposedly patrol found someone over in the Dragon's Tail area....I did a quick search and didn't see any info about it so wondering if it was sadly true.

Scary as I was there that weekend and with the powder being so thick and slow, I was thinking it could be bad news if you got stuck deep in those trees off the tail.

Post subject: Re: Death on mtn?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:39 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Not sure of the details but my kid works at MC Coy and she told me there was a tree well death a week ago Saturday.

http://mammothsnowman.com
http://discovermammoth.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:29 pm 
Broadway
Broadway

TheSnowman wrote:
Not sure of the details but my kid works at MC Coy and she told me there was a tree well death a week ago Saturday.

That sounds similar enough to what I heard so I guess that is the same incident, I didn't initially hear the tree well part of it, just that patrol found someone unresponsive over there. That is very scary, last I heard of a tree well death on the mtn was several years ago with the poor lady over by 12. Back then, there was a lot of discussion here and good info came up about about tree well danger and awareness that many folks don't realize.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:00 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Dec 17 missing person reported. At 3:50 28 year old snowboarder found unresponsive in treewell on Dragonback by MMSA patrol during sweep. He was sent to Mammoth Hospital and later to Renown Hospital and expired on Sunday morning.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:00 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I heard the call on our scanner about the tree well incident the day before we left town for the holiday. The victims' friends got separated from him, waited at the bottom of 15, when he didn't show by the time the lifts closed, they contacted patrol. Patrol found him in a tree well unresponsive (as stated above), however according to the report from the medics bringing him to the hospital Code 3, the victim opened his eyes and vomited. He was stabilized then flown to Renoun in Reno. Sad to learn he didn't make it.🙁

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:14 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

In light of this recent tree well tragedy, I will be posting this in my "Sierra Lady About Town" blog on Howard's subscription weather letter which will be out this Thursday:

Quote:
TREE WELL AND SNOW IMMERSION SUFFOCATION – SAFETY TIPS

In light of the 12/17/16 tree well fatality on Mammoth Mountain after a previous big storm which brought heavy, wet snow to the Sierra, I thought it important to supply some education on the dangers of tree well and snow immersion suffocation.

A tree well/ snow immersion suffocation accident can happen when a skier or snowboarder falls – usually headfirst – into a tree well or deep loose snow and becomes immobilized and trapped under the snow and suffocates. In an inverted position you can become trapped under the snow. Breathing becomes difficult as the loose snow packs in around you. Without immediate help from your partner, you may suffocate. Prevention of falling into a tree well or areas of deep snow is all-important because the odds of surviving deep snow immersion are low. 90% of people involved in Tree Well/ SIS hazard research experiments could NOT rescue themselves. If a partner is not there for immediate rescue, the skier or rider may die very quickly from suffocation - in many cases, he or she can die as quickly as someone can drown in water.

Most Tree Well/ SIS accidents have happened during or just after big snow storms or storm cycles. In general terms, the fresher the snow the higher the risk. As of 2011 research, an average of four Tree Well / SIS accidents happen each season in the United States.

Most all Tree Well/ SIS accidents happen in ungroomed terrain. A groomed run is a ski or snowboard run that has been driven on by a snow machine to compact and consolidate the snow.

More info here: https://www.deepsnowsafety.org/

There's a lot more info on this online...just Google it.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:26 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Somewhere between Outpost 14 and Hash House a Go Go...
So sad :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:38 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

:(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:34 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

How sad, way too young. I feel for his family and friends.
I was boarding in that same general area that same day. Normally the trees off chair 9 are my favorite area of the mountain after a storm. I caught one of the first chairs up 9 when they first opened it and there was still plenty of untracked snow but I only went for one run because I didn't dig it. It was very wind crusted and I just didn't feel comfortable with my ability to turn quickly in the trees. And if you stopped or fell it was really tough to get up. The snow would support you for a moment but as you tried to push up your arms would punch through the crust and sink up to your elbows. Plus the board would get stuck under the crust and you would have to dig it out to try to get it up on top. A few times on that one run I had trouble turning out of the way of a tree. I can definitely understand how someone might have hit a tree or got stuck in a tree well. That incident with that Mother a few years back definitely comes to mind every time I am in the trees. Before that I never gave tree wells the respect they deserve. There can be no shortage of education of the dangers of tree wells as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure there are plenty of people on the mountain that are as clueless about them as I once was.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:24 pm 
Broadway
Broadway

playfulcoyote wrote:
How sad, way too young. I feel for his family and friends.
I was boarding in that same general area that same day. Normally the trees off chair 9 are my favorite area of the mountain after a storm. I caught one of the first chairs up 9 when they first opened it and there was still plenty of untracked snow but I only went for one run because I didn't dig it. It was very wind crusted and I just didn't feel comfortable with my ability to turn quickly in the trees. And if you stopped or fell it was really tough to get up. The snow would support you for a moment but as you tried to push up your arms would punch through the crust and sink up to your elbows. Plus the board would get stuck under the crust and you would have to dig it out to try to get it up on top. A few times on that one run I had trouble turning out of the way of a tree. I can definitely understand how someone might have hit a tree or got stuck in a tree well. That incident with that Mother a few years back definitely comes to mind every time I am in the trees. Before that I never gave tree wells the respect they deserve. There can be no shortage of education of the dangers of tree wells as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure there are plenty of people on the mountain that are as clueless about them as I once was.

I had the same experience, I didn't feel comfortable getting too deep into the trees over in the 9 and DT area as it was a very slow and heavy snow and with the wind crust not the quickest. Even going straight down on somewhat steep pitches it still seemed to want to bring you to a stop. I actually had to lay on my board and paddle out of a couple places on that Friday as that was seemingly the most efficient way to get out. That's why when I heard about the death it was sad and scary as it confirmed our assessment that is was a very risky day to be in the trees.

Contrast that with the xmas eve storm the following weekend and the pow was relatively light enough you could almost go slightly uphill on a traverse and not lose a a ton a speed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:30 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

I've never tried laying on the board and paddling out before. I will have to try it the next time I find myself in that position.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:34 pm 
Broadway
Broadway

The buried soft crust was tricky that weekend, even on 152/127/140 heavily-rockered skis I had to really weight the tips to plane above the crust. With normal weight distribution at slow speeds, you'd fall backwards into your powder hole. Most snowboards just didn't have the length to keep the tip above the dense layer.