Forums
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:16 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

ShiftyRider wrote:
Quote:
But people did imagine it and warned them about it at least 15 years ago. It reminds me of what happened at Fukushima where TEPCO was warned about the possibility of 10m high tsunami waves and they failed to react believing the threat would never happen.
I stand with the "will never happen" folks. We're can-do types and we'll just deal with it when it comes. Like climate change...

Climate change is a little different shifty. We should invest in ways to minimize the impact but what should the priorities be? We know sea level is rising but we don't know how much or how fast it'll rise. Models have a huge uncertainty. It would be foolish to spend money in hopes of preventing a problem that turns out to be greater than planned for yet you can't assume worst case scenario either. Should we be taking action based on the assumption that sea level will continue to rise? Absolutely.

Here in California experts said we can expect "permanent drought" due to climate change. In that case we should be building dams and desalination plants and probably recycling wastewater too. But we're not.

In the case of the Oroville Dam the worst case scenario was easy to see - the water level going high enough to spill over the emergency spillway and causing severe erosion. Officials were warned and didn't want to take action for a variety of reasons.

Post subject: Re: 2017 Flooding...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:19 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
playfulcoyote wrote:
“Take a screenshot! But make sure its no wider than 700 pixels nor taller than 900.”
-cheapski

“You can click on download PNG, save it and bring to PhotoBucket or similiar. Then size it.
or press permalink and use copy paste.
http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/ol.php?produc ... G=esriTopo”
-Spirit Tree

Thanks you guys, I will have to mess around with it when I have more time.
Appreciate the help and all the posts, thanks again.

I do a screen shot then "share" the screenshot to the Photo & Picture Resizer app by farlunar apps (I'm on Android). In the app I select "crop", "exact width and height " which I have set to 695x850. I adjust the crop and click save. Then I go to Chrome and upload the saved file to imgur.com and once it's uploaded I select direct link and copy the direct link by clicking on it and then selecting all the text and pressing copy. Then I paste it here.

If you upload using the Imgur app you aren't given the direct link you need to post pics here.

It's a little tedious but not too bad once you get it down.

Thank you for your input also, I just haven't been able to find the time to mess around with it. One day I will have it down.
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:20 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
Here's a pic from a video shot on Monday showing the ravine that was carved out in just a few hours. There's 6 guys in yellow jackets to give it some scale. Notice how close it was getting to the emergency spillway.

One from the kcra.com photo gallery

Ironic that it was environmental groups calling for the slope to be paved over.

Wow, that got a lot closer than I thought, no wonder they were saying it was going to fail within the hour.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:27 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
cheapski wrote:
SurfnSnowboard wrote:
The other concern is that the erosion would damage the main spillway gates leaving them powerless to control future flooding.

That doesnt seem likely based on the slope of the terrain.

Imagine the concrete apron being washed away then imagine the massive flow of water eating away at the concrete to the right in this image. It wouldn't have far to go before it started taking out the spillway gates.

I'm not saying it would happen but that would be a major problem and expensive repair.

I thought the same thing, they really dodged a bullet (at least so far they have) It would have all depended on where the bedrock was and how solid it was. As it is the hole in the spillway has eroded an incredible about of earth, it will be interesting to see the extent of it once they stop releasing water (which I'm sure wont be for a long time) I wish I could see this up close and in person, pretty spectacular.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:33 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Quote:
Here in California experts said we can expect "permanent drought" due to climate change.
When I read this, I figured experts to you would be scientists. Turns out Watts' article was about journalists not scientists. Please let us know when Scripps or the National Academy of Sciences expects permanent drought LOL.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:54 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

ShiftyRider wrote:
Quote:
Here in California experts said we can expect "permanent drought" due to climate change.
When I read this, I figured experts to you would be scientists. Turns out Watts' article was about journalists not scientists. Please let us know when Scripps or the National Academy of Sciences expects permanent drought LOL.

How about when our governor expects it?

Despite winter rains that replenished reservoirs and eased dry conditions in parts of Northern California, Mr. Brown suggested that the drought may never entirely end, and that the state needed to adapt to life with less water.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/10/us/c ... .html?_r=0

I suppose Jerry should consult with Scripps considering their in his state.

Then you have an actual scientist:

Right now the state is in the third year of a deepening drought, but it may be part of a much longer trend, one that could last decades, even centuries according to paleoclimatologist B. Lynn Ingram at the University of California at Berkeley.

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/19/it_coul ... t_partner/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:57 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Can you guys take your climate change political scrapping back to the Drought thread and stop mucking up this one? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:04 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Whisky's on me!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:09 pm 
Climax
Climax

2NAKLLR wrote:
Whisky's on me!

Make mine a double...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:34 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Sorry, cheapski. Just laughing at how I can magically make his argument change to nonsense, but thank you for the reminder.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:05 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

No problem we gots a ton o water coming in!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:31 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Another way of putting the 100,000 cfs flow into perspective. In 20 days of that flow it will equal all of the water usage in LA for an entire year. That's over a trillion gallons. LA averages 102 billion gallons per month and that's after the 16% reduction due to the drought emergency cutbacks.

source: http://projects.scpr.org/applications/m ... and-power/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:27 am 
Climax
Climax

ORO dam check....02/17/2017 05:00 Elev. - 861.86 out - 80014 in - 29734
It did go down 30 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:47 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Another California Dam Grapples With Flood Danger

Don Pedro Reservoir, which supplies water to nearly 6,000 farms in the San Joaquin Valley, has filled quickly in the last month, rising above levels recommended by flood control engineers.

Operators are releasing as much water as possible to make room for anticipated storm runoff. The lake level is hovering around 826 feet in elevation, close to the 830-foot maximum.

But with almost five inches of rain expected on Monday and Tuesday, officials say if the forecast pans out, they might need to open their “controlled spillway.”

The last time the spillway was used in 1997, parts of Modesto were flooded.

“That storm came on fast,” says Herb Smart, spokesman for the Turlock Irrigation District, which co-manages Don Pedro. “This time, we are looking at flows, — if the forecast holds — that are nowhere near the flows in 1997.”

Still, Smart says they’re working with the Stanislaus County Office of Emergency Services to identify which areas are now at risk.

“It’s tough to tell at this point, but we would expect some localized flooding at certain points on the Tuolumne River that are more low-lying areas,” says Smart.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:49 pm 
Climax
Climax

Here's some info on all sorts of CDEC data - http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecstation2/?sta=ALO

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next