Forums
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: April Foolishness
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:28 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Was going to make some turns today with a friend, but not now! Will wait until Thursday. It's flurrying and windy in town. Had to start a warming fire this morning as the house was down to 60. Hadn't had a fire since Easter.

In the meantime, I started a thread about the Red Line ceasing operation as of yesterday. Trolley every 30 minutes along that line to the Village, then a shuttle up to Main every 30 minutes.

https://www.estransit.com/routes-schedu ... /red-line/

Quote:
Snowcreek – The Village – Main Lodge

UPDATE: The 2016-17 Red Line service will end following Sunday, April 23, 2017. Service to all Red Line stops between Snowcreek and The Village will be provided by the Town Trolley route begining April 24th. The Main Lodge Shuttle will provide service every 30 minutes from The Village to Main Lodge.

The Red Line operates 7 days per week from 7:00am until 5:30pm providing service througout town via Old Mammoth Road and Main Street traveling between Snowcreek Athletic Club and Mammoth Mountain Main Lodge. The first departure from Snowcreek Athletic Club is at 7:00am and the last departure from Main Lodge is at 5:30pm. On busy days, additional buses are operated on the Red Line. While the scheduled times may not be met on these days due to congestion, the frequency that buses serve each of the stops on the Line is usually less than the scheduled 20 minutes. The Red Line is expected to operate for the 2016/17 winter season from November 18th through April 30th.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:12 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
I previously posted that it's a very long shot for breaking the snowfall record of 668.5". When I posted that I hadn't compared the current total to the same date in 2011. I just did and was surprised to see that we're currently 2" ahead of 2011. So it's definitely possible but will take a few more good storms to do it.

We're also about 30" ahead of the same date in 2011 for total precipitation. So over 40% more precipitation this year but only 2" more snow.

I'm pretty sure we're not going to pass the 668.5" mark this year but after reading your post that as of the 19th we were actually ahead of that years pace I went back and checked that years totals. it's interesting to see that the last 60 inches that year just kind of trickled in a few inches here and there with a couple of 6-8" storms from the end of April through to early June. A very different pattern that year but I suppose it is possible, a big long shot, but possible.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:23 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

PCoyote, how do the snow depths for this date compare for that 668" year and now? It seems to me like this is the most snow on the ground at this time that I recall.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:17 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

snowhottie wrote:
PCoyote, how do the snow depths for this date compare for that 668" year and now? It seems to me like this is the most snow on the ground at this time that I recall.

According to archived data from the ski patrol site:

peak depth of 213" on March 25th
153" on April 24th
138" on May 18th
108" on June 6th

peak depth of 215" on Feb. 22nd
200" on April 19th

The snowpack seems to be much more resilient this year, I'm guessing because it is a lot more dense than in 2011.
I didn't buy my place up in Mammoth until the fall of 2011 so I wasn't up there as much that winter and didn't have to deal with it so I don't know first hand how much snow the town was getting. It seems to me that they didn't have nearly as many issues with the snow as they did this year. Did they not get as much spill over into the town as they did this year or is it that this year we got so much in just a six month period during a cold part of the winter so it didn't have much chance to melt off between storms?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:53 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Interesting that we've only lost 15" in 2 months vs 60" in 1 month back in 2011.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:59 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

playfulcoyote wrote:
According to archived data from the ski patrol site:

peak depth of 213" on March 25th
153" on April 24th
138" on May 18th
108" on June 6th

peak depth of 215" on Feb. 22nd
200" on April 19th

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
Interesting that we've only lost 15" in 2 months vs 60" in 1 month back in 2011.

This is why I think, even if the total snowfall doesnt hit that peak, that this year is very much different from other years in that its going to take much longer to melt off. So thats 4 feet more on the ground right now than that other year. That could be another month of melting. Even if there isnt any more significant precip. falling, if there are still passing storms that cut down the air temps. that will preserve the snowpack.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:17 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

SurfnSnowboard wrote:

We did have that big storm the first week of April that reloaded the base. I think it was down to about 170" before that storm. I don't know what the temps were like in 2011 but I thought it was fairly warm in Mammoth during the month of March and the snow held up really well on the mountain. This last weekend though things were melting pretty fast up there, lots of water running in town. Lots of sun and long days. Hopefully we will continue to get cold and cloudy days here and there for the next couple of months to slow things down.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I drove out to the meadow this afternoon to see how the snow melt was doing on the gravel road out to the Hayden Cabin. What a difference from when I cross country skied out there three weeks ago when there was still a 4-6' berm along the entrance to this road. I didn't drive in because there were still drifts and I didn't want to chance getting my Honda stuck. Will probably be good to go by next week. Lots of run-off along side Sherwin Creek Road on the perimeter of the meadow though. It was a cool, drizzly, gray, cloudy, windy day today.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:42 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Mark your calendars. By May 4th we'll see what a heatwave has done to the pack. Its got so much water in it. Just a guess but Im thinkin the UDC runnel run is gonna be deep this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:52 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Who's going to start the May thread? 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:29 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Pretty late in the season for snow in Hawaii!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Honolulu HI
339 PM HST Sun Apr 30 2017

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM HST MONDAY FOR THE
SUMMITS OF MAUNA LOA AND MAUNA KEA...

The National Weather Service in Honolulu has issued a Winter
Storm Warning for heavy snow and blowing snow, which is in effect
until 6 AM HST Monday.

* LOCATION...Big Island summits and upper slopes.

* HAZARD TYPE...Heavy snow and blowing snow. Possible lightning
strikes.

* ACCUMULATIONS...Additional snow and ice of 2 to 3 inches overnight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12